• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any OA Reports from SDCC 2012?

159 posts in this topic

Let's try that again

IMG_20120714_182708.jpg

That's a very Han-dsome cover.

It's a great cover, but am I alone in thinking the asking price is ridiculous?

A piece like this I think of (when its being "sold" by a dealer) more like bait (or chumming the water).

It gets people visiting your booth, it gets you some recognition, but your goal is to get foot traffic and then try to get sales of other stuff that people could afford.

It also acts as the big offer for the occasional "whale" (ok Im gonna stop the sea-life metaphors I swear) who wants to make a big purchase (or trade) in case something amazing shows up, you have something BIG to offer in return for trades, or to offer if Nic Cage wants to buy original art...

SDCC 2012 was my 9th SDCC, and my first since 2008. As crazy as the show still was, I felt that it was a LOT more manageable this year than what I remember from 2008. I was told by someone that, sometime in the past few years, they did a better job of spreading around the various panels and other stuff going on, so that foot traffic on the main floor and the ground floor hallways became a lot more manageable.

In many respects, I thought it was my best SDCC experience as I conscientiously went out of my way to meet and catch up with as many dealers and collectors as possible. Despite being in the OA hobby for almost 10 years, I'm far from a known quantity in many circles of the hobby, so it was good to finally meet so many new faces as well as those who I've dealt with previously only via e-mail and online.

Like Felix, I'm pretty fried from the show (got back to NYC very late last night), so I think I'll write the rest of my thoughts and observations in bullet points:

1. The growing consensus is that the McSpidey #1 cover will go for $500K+ at Heritage. I guess people saw the early bidding and ratcheted up their expectations accordingly, to the point where $500K seems to be the new over/under! One insider said he knows first-hand of two people saying they're going to really go for it, so I'm looking forward to breaking out the :popcorn:

1b. Here's a thought: if the McSpidey #1 does sell for $500K+, will that warp everyone's perception as much as the DKR #3 splash sale? The latter may have been an outlier and recognized as such, but, nonetheless, it was impossible not to think of how cheap other art looked in comparison in the ensuing months. Will we see peoples' expectations similarly inflated across the board after this sale? Or will both auction and wallet fatigue set in instead?

1c. Here's another thought: if the McSpidey #1 does sell for that price, that's like 2.5 to 3 Frazetta Famous Funnies covers in value. Kind of like a Johns or de Kooning being worth 3 Rembrandts (which some are). I'd prefer the Rembrandts and the Frazettas, but, in any case...wow.

2. As I mentioned before, the Ditko ASM #12 splash was probably the show-stopper piece at the show, though I'm a bit surprised considering it's not very splashy (an unmasked Spidey standing in the center surrounded by a lot of text and vignettes). I kind of liked the ASM #35 splash better, big Spidey butt- and all.

3. Ron S. and I were both caught off-guard by the Kirby Tales of Suspense #97 splash that's in the Heritage auction and was on display at the show - it's small art, not twice-up. I'm thinking the $35K-up hammer estimate may be a bit aggressive for small art. I only realized that it was small art when it was next to the Sienkiewicz Wolverine #10 cover and was smaller (the Wolvie #10 is on a larger board, twice-up or maybe even a tad bigger).

3b. The $25K+ hammer estimate for the X-Men #139 page seemed too aggressive to some, but it's already up to $18K hammer, so I wouldn't bet against it. hm

4. Away from the main floor, The Walking Dead Escape at Petco Park was INTENSE. It was a hard core workout and realistic enough to believe you were in a post-apocalyptic zombie world. I participated in a group along with Felix and 3 other OA collectors and it was a fantastic experience, probably the highlight of the weekend for me. 3 of us were bleeding by the end of it while the girlfriend of an OA collector not in our group blew out her knee (an ambulance had to be summoned) just in our time slot alone. I suspect they will have to tone it down next year.

5. Back to the show...there was definitely some major sticker shock. I know, I know, there is always sticker shock in this hobby, but this year was like getting Tasered in the face. I talked to a ton of people, and I'd say the general consensus is (1) A lot of people are on the sidelines or only buying smaller items until they see whether these prices are "real" or not, (2) Some others have observed panic-buying - e.g., the continued escalation of all Ditko ASM prices as collectors pay up just to ensure they have at least one example, (3) People pretty much agree that the low-to-mid tier material is not likely to hold up, as well as high priced examples of major artists that aren't among their better/best examples, (4) People are generally bullish on the true A/A+ quality stuff, though, with some thinking that we're still only in the early innings of the price appreciation on that material.

6. People clearly know that many of these krazy prices are priced as such because of the expectation of getting some/most/all trade and not all-cash. You may recall Glen B. pricing his ASM 71 cover at $65K cash and $80K trade on CAF earlier this year - he said at the show that he just put into practice what everybody else knows to be reality. Yes, there were a number of 5-figure cash sales at the show, but, overall, the current price structure is largely supported by trade.

7. Apparently The Walking Dead #99 and #100 complete stories sold complete (not sure if it was to one or two collectors). The #100 art was supposed to go on sale at the show, but apparently someone made Adlard an offer he couldn't refuse for the whole book (anyone here the buyer(s)?)

8. Someone above inquired about the Deadman splash that Mitch had - yes, it did sell; I'm sure it will show up on CAF soon enough.

9. Overall, it was a really fun time - wish I could have made the OA dinner on Friday, but I was spread too thin only being in town for a few days and having friends & family to spend time with as well as being at the show. I hope to be back for the show next year.

As some one that didn't make it to S.D. (again!) I look forward to the flurry of trading activity that usually occurs after the show as dealers make new art available , and collectors start offering pieces as to make room for their new purchases.!

I picked up one page from Jim Cheung. I still like buying from current artists more but spent some time at all the dealers booths.

A friend picked up the cerebus 17 splash and another got an esad ribic cover from Anthony Snyder while esad was at his booth.

I just happened to be at the romitaman booth with a friend trying to pay for some art when the shield 3 transaction happened and talked to Ross about it for a few min after. You could not meet a nicer guy. He's a true fan and gushed with us like any comic geek would. One of the highlights of the con for me.

My budget for this stuff is still tiny compared to some but man I love looking at the art.

The guys from tri-state were super cool. Would definitely buy from them.

I'll post a pic of my art when I get home. Actually on the plane right now.

Great show.

I do wish they wouldn't put the art and the comics on opposite ends.

Thanks for the latest rouind of updates.

The last time I was at SDCC was 2008. I was hoping to go next year but given the new lottery system for tickets, my days at SDCC may be over.

Realistically, most dealers with high priced vintage art will still make a deal via e-mail or at other shows like NYCC in October.

Not everyone is set up for credit cards but were dealers taking paypal at their booths?

Cheers!

N.

Let's try that again

IMG_20120714_182708.jpg

That's a very Han-dsome cover.

It's a great cover, but am I alone in thinking the asking price is ridiculous?

A piece like this I think of (when its being "sold" by a dealer) more like bait (or chumming the water).

It gets people visiting your booth, it gets you some recognition, but your goal is to get foot traffic and then try to get sales of other stuff that people could afford.

It also acts as the big offer for the occasional "whale" (ok Im gonna stop the sea-life metaphors I swear) who wants to make a big purchase (or trade) in case something amazing shows up, you have something BIG to offer in return for trades, or to offer if Nic Cage wants to buy original art...

It may also inspire others to raise their prices on similar vintage pieces if they see this as the new benchmark.

If you're going to price something up, you should do so realistically. Anyone can pluck big numbers out of the air.

Here is my ROMITAMAN dealer report for everyone, since my name has been bandied about....lol

Yes the Mcfarlane Spiderman cover to marvel tales #228 sold for cash...just like ASM 91 cover......all cash.

I also traded several Kirby pages for lots of art..... including the large art marvel super heroes 13 cover....... and I sold it for over 30k cash the same day I acquired it.... the 2nd Capt. Marvel appearance.

I also sold an FF 39 page (that people razzed me about being too high) for well over 20k cash.

also..I did a trade with the Steranko nick fury 3 cover but I got WAY over my asking price in trade so trust me..I'd have lost a lot by selling it for 100k cash! hey......I love trading art as much as selling it, whereas a lot of other guys in our hobby prefer to sell only and refuse to put forth the effort of reselling more art in a deal to jkeep things fresh.

but overall, I had my all time best show by far..... (selling and trading) I sold and traded well over a half million dollars of art in San Diego...... and i'm not bragging at all....... I just don't believe what people are always saying about dealers putting art so high that its just eye candy to get people to your booth andnot for REAL SALE...I believe in selling and moving art to keep my site and inventory fresh...I don't want any art (regardless of price) on my website and at my booth for 2...3... or 4 San Diego shows..... that's a fact for everyone out there who seems to think that high end art is set at a price that cannot be attained by collectors in our great hobby...... ..like the saying in the great field of dreams movie..... "BUILD IT...(offer it) AND THEY WILL COME!" lol

also...on a totally side note.... I believe my ASM annual 3 cover will be in a new collector's hands by next week also, after extensive talking and working a deal during the great San Diego show!

I guess the "BURKEY PRICING" in San Diego seemed to work A LOT better for collectors and for myself than the "DONNELLY PRICING" in San Diego....as I heard my name being bandied about at the Donnelly booth..... and no worries to Steve as i'm friends with Rich and Steve.... their comments made me laugh....:o)

And I want to tell everyone right now...I will have the most amazing website update coming up in a week or so with well over 250k of incredibly quality art pieces so stop by at romitaman.com so we can work some deals out! :o)

Mike

Thanks for the report. You need to post more often.

Congratulations on having a great show. I'm glad I bought the Romita Spidey / Lizard piece from you a few years ago when I did. lol.

See you at NYCC.

Cheers!

N.

I'm relatively new to OA and although the selection was terrific, prices were truly mind boggling to me, even to someone who has followed the market loosely over the past couple of years.

One or two record prices (FF #55 and DKR/Miller) and anything that has a passing resemblance is seemingly now worth twice as much, it seems.

That happens in comics - you get an outlier sale and then prices increase for everyone that has one - generally, those oulier sales stay alone as outliers.

It's also a little disheartening as a new collector to find dealers buying art at a large auction only to immediately mark up and wait for their prices (I saw a few pieces that I had bid against in a recent Heritage auction) but I guess c'est la vie. I'll wait for the right pieces to fall into my hands rather than chase something that was almost within my reach.

I secured one piece that is special to me that helps fill a hole I've been wanting to fill for some time. Other than that, just window shopping from my end.