• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any OA Reports from SDCC 2012?

159 posts in this topic

Quick Con Report.

I was shut out of tix at last year's SDCC so after 20+ yrs of Cons not sure how I will attend each year but this year a fellow lister was kind enough to provide an extra badge so I spent Saturday at the show - thanks Mike!

Art wise I sold a Ploog Planet of the Apes page and picked up 4 low-end Nova pages, got some G.O.T. art I just happened to have with me signed by George RR Martin, also picked up a movie monster book from John Landis...bought a few Everett related odds and ends.

Almost did a deal with Bechara, who was very reasonable, but decided not to pull the trigger; chatted with all the regular art dealers.

In terms of art that I didn't see in previous years:

- Pretty Jones Oil from Kimono series - $25K

- Jones "As a Child" watercolor - $30K (yes that was asking)

- Detective Rogers/Giordano 479 splash $7.5K

- Bolton Wash pages - 1 Kull and 1 Thor $2K each

- V Pages - 1 V on TV $4.5K; 1 small V and E-V $6.5K

- BWS Pandora ~ $120K (pretty neat to see live but a bit of sun fading evident)

Happy Hunting!

Mark

- BWS Pandora ~ $120K (pretty neat to see live but a bit of sun fading evident)

Mark

Ouch. To me a piece like that is ruined if sunfaded, the wonderful coloring of his pieces in that era would to me be a major selling point :tonofbricks:

Other than the Steranko cover, were there any large sales? Does anyone who went to the show have any impressions as to the continued strength in the market (or feeling that we might finally be topping out)?

First off, I don't count the Steranko as a sale-- that was a trade. But yes, there were many large all-cash sales. By "large", I mean minimum five figures. I told Gene about several of them at the show...maybe he'll work them into an SDCC report. I'm too fried to attempt anything like that right now.

More interesting to me is watching newbies, obvious rookies to OA, walk up to dealer tables and drop five figures without any negotiating. Pay full sticker? No problem. Have always heard stories of total strangers to the hobby who will show up at SD and spend big coin. Now I've seen it. Not all the big deals this year were by the usual suspects.

None of that should be construed as an answer to your second question, btw. I know that a strong SD, along with the anticipated blockbuster at Heritage next week, may have many in the hobby feeling good right now. We'll have to wait and see what fall brings.

Pandora looked to be same size as print - about 2 x 2 feet

Yeah, it was impressive - if not a full 2x2 feet, then pretty close. Visually, it was no doubt more impressive than any of the BWS Conan art at Thibo's table, but I think at $120K you really have to love the painting and be willing to pay the price to just enjoy it, as I imagine the market for it is pretty thin. We can call it "fine art", but the only people who would realistically consider shelling out that kind of cash for it would be the BWS aficionados among OA and illustration art collectors, and, in that regard, the Conan material I think has a lot more nostalgia and familiarity going for it.

Had forgotten about that DD #9 cover; it may have been the most expensive item at the show, but no one was really talking about it - guess it was overshadowed by the ASM #12 splash that seemed to be the most coveted item by people I spoke to.

Some other big ticket items that were still available when I left on Saturday:

1. Kirby FF 99 cover - $75K (Pete Koch)

2. Kirby X-Men 10 unpublished cover - $150K (Will Gabri-El)

3. Ditko ASM 35 (? - Spidey vs. Molten Man) splash - no price listed (Koch)

Big cash sales:

Romita ASM 71 cover - sold at Will Gabri-El's booth

Romita ASM 91 cover - sold at Burkey's booth

I ended up making a couple of meaningful purchases at the show - I will post details after everything is finalized and I have the art in hand.