• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Punk Rock Jesus

56 posts in this topic

So far, #4 was the best :)

I loved that double page with Chris books a LPs...So many details.

And also double page with revolver and Thomas scene - awesome :)

I relly, really dig this book, art is amazing and detailed and very well written.

Love it...

The link Simpson posted says:

Punk Rock Jesus is what has set me off, but is not the sole base for this mini rant. Yes, I know Sean Murphy is so talented. I wish he would use his powers elsewhere. I keep seeing stuff that has new interpretations of Jesus in different times. Can we please give Him some more respect? It is ridiculous. If you are not creative enough to use a different person to write stories about, find a new job. I don't want to see a book called "Punk Rock Jesus". It is just so disrespectful the way people re-imagine Jesus in these ways. I have read the Bible, and I am fairly certain it does not touch on Punk Rock. This is not a way to honor the man who saved us. It even took me some time to get over seeing Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. I am still uneasy about it, but it is still not on the level of "Punk Rock Jesus". Not that Abe Lincoln is Jesus, but it still touches on the same point, a lac of respect. I really hope this trend does not continue because it is truly sickening.

*If this is a subject that is deemed inappropriate for the forums, I understand. It is just something that I think needs to be talked about.

As someone who on occasion teaches at a Jesuit University in the Philosophy department, I think that this post is ridiculous, but I'm interested in hearing others opinions.

Some of the people in that thread freely admit to not even reading the book but then they still go on a religious rant about it.

I don't have anything against religion but I believe in free speech. I think the books say a lot more about society as a whole (government/politics/media) rather than religion. The problem is some people don't look past the title.

I also wish that it was written as an ongoing title and that they the writer took his time with the plot and told the story nice and slow and detailed J2's development from adolescence to adulthood and got into the back story of the supporting cast members who are fascinating. I think this was a tremendous opportunity to explore the socio-political and cultural implications of a reality show about the clone of Christ that is produced by an opportunistic sociopath. It would have been an amazing story and remains a fantastic idea for a adult sitcom on HBO, Showtime, AMC, FX or other creative network. It's a real shame that the story was rushed through so fast and that it was named so poorly and suffered from the known religious position of the writer. I think it could have been a tremendous opportunity to examine some incredibly important cultural, ethical and philosophical issues. I hope that someone with some courage and some pool in Hollywood reads this comic and falls in love with it like so many fans have in the last couple months.

I've said before. If you're not reading this book you're missing out on a absolute gem.

Punk Rock Jesus #5 CBR Review

"Murphy is a credit to skeptics and those who dare to challenge the establishment, religious or otherwise, and more importantly, "Punk Rock Jesus" makes a reader think as well as feel, more than any other comic on the stands."