• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1,000 Posts and going Strong

6 posts in this topic

I'm here acclaim.gif Post #1,000 acclaim.gif

So, it all started back when I was nine years old and bought my first Tarzan comic....naw, I'm not gonna go back that far foreheadslap.gif.

So anyway, I just wanted to relate with this Post #1,000 why I am here, how I got here, and how I have been affected by this forum.

Way back near the end of last December I was contacted by an Ebay member who wanted to give me a little advice about a Canadian EBAY dealer whom I had just won an $1,800 lot of Uncanny X-Men from. He told me that he had done business with this dealer before and received restored and overgraded books. He wanted to give me a "heads up" before diving in. Well, how was I to know this guy was legit or not, and I knew that I had an obligation to pay for my winning bid, so I did. Turned out that this "Guardian Comic-Angel" was right. I should have listened to him. Who was this "Comic-Angel"? Why, it was Burntboy. And they don't call him Burntboy for nothin'.

So anyway, we e-mailed a few times and I told him that I had no idea what "trimming" was, I had never heard of it. So he suggested that I try the CGC Forum as there were lots of guys that could give me some great information there. So I did. I jumped right in, head first. I was absolutely overwhelmed by the knowledge on these boards. I thought that before arriving at the forum that I knew alot about comics. I was very confident as I had owned a comic store, worked for a comic book distributor, had been a small convention dealer for almost 20 years, and been doing Ebay for three. Geez, I didn't know NUTHIN'! It actually got to me and I felt a little befuddled. Affter a week of being blown away by my utter lack of knowledge, I swore off the boards as I was starting to feel stupid. You guys just knew too much and I knew too little.

So a few days went by and I realized that I could not resist. I had to accept the fact that I was a little man among big men (as far as comics knowledge goes) and that I was here to learn, but more importantly to have fun.

Well, I'll tell ya'. I've been having a blast. Although these are "just internet message boards", they have had a pretty huge impact on my life. You guys have taught me, inspired me, argued with me, made me laugh, given me advice, but more importantly...you have given me somebody to talk to about this hobby that I love so much. I am now a better collector, better dealer, and better buyer. I grade better now, have learned a few things about restoration, and have many new collecting areas of interest. THANKS GUYS!!!!

I'm also happy with the fact that now when I go to the larger cons there will be be a few guys that I can stop and chat with that I know a little from these boards. Last Wondercon was my first Forum dinner and I am eagerly awaiting #2 and #3 coming up soon in San Diego and Chicago.

I am so much more into this hobby now that I have shared this forum with you all and I'm having a blast. 2,000 here I come. -----------Sid thumbsup2.gif

You know, 4-string fretless guy, when I saw this topic subject I said to myself "Oh, no! A uselss 1000th post thread!"

But danged if it wasn't informative and most interesting. thumbsup2.gif

And danged if we didnlt get a "Forum 1st appearance/origin" tale to boot. Most excellent!