• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel digital codes and back cover problem

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I have been a member for awhile but not a frequent poster. I was talking to cgc and a fellow board member at San diego this weekend when the marvel digital codes redemption issue came up. The latest from cgc is the removal/redemption of a code will not impact a books value. It will still be blue label but there will be a notation on the label that the stamp is removed.

Here is where it gets even more confusing. Evidently over time if your modern books are tight in a long box the back cover may get an indentation IF the code is not removed. That indentation will of course lower the grade of the book-but you will have the digital code stamp. Cgc has seen a couple of these cases come up.

I love the idea of buying one copy and getting a digital copy for free. However, knowing how collectors (myself included) are I have been hesitant redeeming unless I have duplicates. Now this indentation problem brings up an issue that I have not thought of before.

Anyways I wanted to pass this along as I know a few of you have discussed in the past.

Thoughts?

-Jeremy

Give your books a little wiggle room.

Also, the sticker is pretty thin, so the 'indentation', if any, will be very subtle. It'll be irrelevant for most books, unless you are looking to get books graded at 9.8. If that's the case, it will likely be a pressable defect.

The latest from cgc is the removal/redemption of a code will not impact a books value.

Since when does the cgc determine a books value? The market will determine whether the removal of the sticker impacts the value of a book. If history is any indication, the answer (I can pretty much guarantee) is that sticker-less books will be worth less.

I would imagine it would be just like any other comic.... regardless of the why there is a defect caused after printing...it is still a defect and should be treated as such.

same reason we all take various steps to preserve condition of comics we have now.. doesn't really matter how that spine got screwed up or that corner dinged. I'd consider it differently if 100% of the issues or the bulk majority came directly from the printers/distributors with the indentation already there... but if its something that develops after years of storage, what would make it any different than say, corner wear... ring wear (vinyl/records), etc etc

as past history (not just comics) dictates non-removed items from collectables > removed items from collectables