• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Burntboy Collection

66 posts in this topic

I know the issue of what constitutes an officially-recognized pedigree has been discussed alot on other threads. In the case of Burntboy's books, he is certainly best-suited to address the issue, but I think the gist of it is that the earliest Marvel keys and no. 1s may not measure up to pedigree status. If this is, indeed, the explanation as to why CGC is unwilling to give the collection fullblow pedigree status, then it becomes difficult to understand how something like the Oakland and Mile High 2 collections became official pedigrees, since I do not believe these collections have the earliest Marvel keys in them.

I know the issue of what constitutes an officially-recognized pedigree has been discussed alot on other threads. In the case of Burntboy's books, he is certainly best-suited to address the issue, but I think the gist of it is that the earliest Marvel keys and no. 1s may not measure up to pedigree status. If this is, indeed, the explanation as to why CGC is unwilling to give the collection fullblow pedigree status, then it becomes difficult to understand how something like the Oakland and Mile High 2 collections became official pedigrees, since I do not believe these collections have the earliest Marvel keys in them.

the title "burntboy collection" was something that Captain Tripps and i came up with to try and differentiate my books that are coming up for sale. the primary reason was to address the fact that most all of my original collection (roughly a 1000 books) was purchased by me directly off the newstands and had been untouched by other hands in over 40 years.

i've stated publicly that i don't believe my collection has the necessary Breadth or Quality to be a pedigree. i have many Pedigree quality books as can be evidenced by the CGC returns that i've received and the initial results of my sales attempts.

i really appreciate the support that i've received, and continue to receive, on these boards.

let me give you an example of where i'm coming from. i pored over about 600 DC's from 1959 to 1965 last week. when i was finished i had about 130 books that

i think have a shot to hit 9.0 to 9.4. the rest are mostly in the 7.0 - 8.0 range with a few dozen that are not so hot. those 10cent DC are not in the best of shape, although i'm sure there will be a market for them when i sell them someday as most have nice eye-appeal.

so i'll continue to post pix and talk about my collection and wish that it had been a pedigree, but will still be happy with the way things worked out grin.gif

Whether the CGC accepts these books as a pedigree really should not make that much of a difference. Burntboy's books have been accepted in the market place for what they are -- high grade original owner books. That's what's important. Whether it say's "Burntboy Collection" on the label should mean little. These are very high quality books and have a certain look and feel to them worthy of some recognition, but it doesn't have to be CGC recognition (I'm sure if Burntboy really lobbied, etc, thay would have taken a hard look at it).

The recognition comes from the marketplace, and these books have been accepted. I just wish he kept going back to that same luncheonette past 1964. What a magnificent run he would have had. As it is, a truly awesome collection of books that were never touched by anyone else's hands (except the CGC graders' most recently).

Thank you, Burntboy, for giving me the opportunity to bring your books out of the closet and into awaiting collectors' hands!!

Burnt,

I still get pumped when I look at my Bryne FF and Simonson Thor runs that I bought off the shelf so I can only imagine what a thrill it must be when you look back at all those wonderfull books that you picked up, especially at the dawn of the Silver Age. Lets hope there are a lot more Burnboy type collections/collectors out there. thumbsup2.gif

its interesting to hear learned views on Pedigre status at this point in the CGC curve. One thing CGC grading initially did was to devalue the "pedigree" status in favor of higher CGC-graded "no-name" copies. It clearly made (makes) sense that a noname 9.6is in fact a better book that the White Mountain copy or Bethlehem in 9.0 or 9.2, when a short few years ago, Pedigree status ( and multiples) applied to nearly all books in those impressive runs.

Now, the highest graded Silver copies are seemingly all from the few recently unearthed (and graded) SA Pedigree collections (like yours Captn). Perhaps this has tilted favor back to Pedigrees somewhat as a positive attribute, not just a footnote.

Burnt,

I still get pumped when I look at my Bryne FF and Simonson Thor runs that I bought off the shelf so I can only imagine what a thrill it must be when you look back at all those wonderfull books that you picked up, especially at the dawn of the Silver Age. Lets hope there are a lot more Burnboy type collections/collectors out there. thumbsup2.gif

i'm betting there are and those collections will emerge someday (hopefully not after the owner passes on............) devil.gif

i have nothing against anyone in this hobby (well, maybe JC grin.gif) but would really rather see an original owner reap the rewards of a collection put together and loved over the years, as opposed to a MH (frinstance) coming in and paying cents on the dollar and cashing in........ frown.gif

Here's an idea for you both, Harry and Doug. The problem with the BurntBoy designation will eventually be that of tracking them down after a resale or two,.....and verifying that a book came from your collection.

So I would publish on the web or elsewhere a complete list of every CGC graded book that comes back to you Harry. Maintain the list and make it public, so that anyone can go to the list and verify that the certification number is actually that of a BurntBoy Book.

Scans to go along with each listing would be even better, but that would be a bigger project. That's the kind of project I am thinking about doing for the Green River collection.

Brad

Here's an idea for you both, Harry and Doug. The problem with the BurntBoy designation will eventually be that of tracking them down after a resale or two,.....and verifying that a book came from your collection.

So I would publish on the web or elsewhere a complete list of every CGC graded book that comes back to you Harry. Maintain the list and make it public, so that anyone can go to the list and verify that the certification number is actually that of a BurntBoy Book.

Scans to go along with each listing would be even better, but that would be a bigger project. That's the kind of project I am thinking about doing for the Green River collection.

Brad

I agree. When you look at a collection like the Golden State pedigree, which deserves pedigree status and basically didn't get it only because Greenhalgh was too tied up to put a proper master inventory together... 893frustrated.gif

It'd be at least nice to see a master inventory of the BB collection, particularly with CGC serial numbers, since it's not often you see a OO collection where the OO is totally in control of the slabbing process and the sale process to the public.

And Harry, I think it would go a long way towards solidifying the collection as a pedigree-in-waiting.

I can see it now....20 years from now, dealers haggling over the $475,000 copy of Fantastic Four #11. Course we'll all have Alzheimer's and be sitting in a little grey room somewhere, waiting for the attendant to come in and change our nappies, and give a little cup of grape jello!

27_laughing.gif

Brad

that's a great idea, brad. thumbsup2.gif i have scanned my sales to date (Front and Back covers and the CGC label) and will continue to do so. when i have enough books slabbed (say 250 or so), i'll publish a master list.

now if steve and the boys could just step up the timing on econs and standards, i'd submit a bunch more grin.gif

i have nothing against anyone in this hobby (well, maybe JC grin.gif) but would really rather see an original owner reap the rewards of a collection put together and loved over the years, as opposed to a MH (frinstance) coming in and paying cents on the dollar and cashing in........ frown.gif

Actually that should be "cents on the thousand dollar".. 893naughty-thumb.gif

And Harry, I think it would go a long way towards solidifying the collection as a pedigree-in-waiting.

I can see it now....20 years from now, dealers haggling over the $475,000 copy of Fantastic Four #11. Course we'll all have Alzheimer's and be sitting in a little grey room somewhere, waiting for the attendant to come in and change our nappies, and give a little cup of grape jello!

27_laughing.gif

Mmmm.....Grape Jello...... cloud9.gif

What, is there a delayed echo in here or something?

I mentioned that a website should be made in dedication to his books around 1-2 weeks ago, and got no response, except from tth2. 893naughty-thumb.giffrown.gif

Of course, I'm only joking Captain. I don't have a link to your original post, but my suggestion had less to do with a website that served as a tribute, and more with it being a tool to keep track of the collection as it begins to be dispersed. So people could check to see if something being marketed as being from the collection was in fact one of Burntboys books.

Kind of like tagging dolphins as a way of tracking their meanderings across the blue Pacific.

(Oy, I think I almost made myself throw up!)

893whatthe.gif

"Nurse, redhook took my Hulk 181 and hit me with it!" makepoint.gif

"Nurse, redhook took my Hulk 181 and hit me with it!" makepoint.gif

That's what ya get for messing with his prune juice you old geezer! tongue.gif