• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 scam?

31 posts in this topic

Not sure what to make of this yet -

This VERY nice looking AF 15 was posted last night for a buy it now of 10,000 (about 2k below GPA.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150858438397?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The Seller had low feedback so I messaged him asking about referrences, and whether he was a comic dealer. I got this response -

"I have three of these. All in 4.5 to 6.5 grade. I have plenty of referenced if you are a serious buyer. I have 1 million dollars worth of CGC books. If you are wanting to buy the book and will buy it I will make sure you are happy with our books. I am a high end collector and I sell my books to get higher grades. Let me know what you need.- comicnation007"

I decided to sleep on it, and if it was gone in the morning it was gone.

Well This morning it was sold, but I received this message -

"I have a 4.5 and a 6.0 if you would like to make an offer. I have pictures and will send them ASAP. I can not put these large deals through Paypal but will make you a killer deal on the two books I mentioned. I could sell you my 4.5 for $8800.00 if interested. I have pictures if you want to see them. This is to me the Holy Grail of books. If we do wire or cashiers check to our store I will do $8300.00 since there won't be the fees and wait time via Paypal. I can ship this evening if you are interested. But again I will only do Paypal as a ZERO refund policy and if they make me wait 21 days for the money I will not ship until this wait is over. I hope this is ok. If you agree to these terms you have an AF #15 now.My daughter is sad that we are selling this book. But we have a pretty amazing Silver Age collection. If you are looking for other books please let me know. "

A few things make me concerned. Including the long wait for payment to clear paypal, his low feedback, zero refund policy, and bringing up his daughter.

I asked for pictures this morning and he said he sent them, but so far nothing.

Thoughts? Is this a board member? I would think atleast somone had heard of him if he had a collection like that.

I don't know that seller, but from your description I'd say:

STAY AWAY!!!

A while back I was on your side of things with another AF15 and another seller. The boardies talked me out of my AF15-mania, and luckily I did not go through with the purchase. Of course I'm not SURE it would have been fraud...just probably.

You know the lesson: if it's too good to be true... (what AF15 sells for that much under GPA these days?)

I woke up at 4:30 this morning when eBay sends me the alerts on the book. I too was interested in this 5.0 (I think it was).

However the little picture looked like it might have been swiped from another auction. the seller had what I believe was 37 feedback comments.

Stay away. I did... you should too.

I am no longer a teenager or a "kid" in my early twenties. I do not have the time, energy or believe it worth the risk anymore to have to make a trip to retrieve my money the old fashioned way.

$1 million collection sounds like a BS number

First says he has 3 AF15s, then offers 2 (a 4.5 and a 6.0), so if the 6.5 not being offered?

These are all CGCed?

He mentions a store, but it doesnt sound like its a comic shop right? Cause he says he's a high end collector, not a high end dealer.

He says he has a huge silver age collection, but hasn't bought a single silver age book thru ebay?

He's only sold two books before, neither of which were anywhere near this one (both under a grand).

BS-o-meter going off...

If he wants a check sent to his store you can check the store out and make sure a) its real, and maybe check the better business bureau to make sure the guy is a good business person...

even then I'd pass unless he can come up with a refund safety...

If we do wire or cashiers check to our store I will do $8300.00 since there won't be the fees and wait time via Paypal. I can ship this evening if you are interested. But again I will only do Paypal as a ZERO refund policy and if they make me wait 21 days for the money I will not ship until this wait is over. I hope this is ok. If you agree to these terms you have an AF #15 now.

Various conflicting statement in the full paragraph they wrote but they do say you can make a check out to their store.

I would ask for the location of the store. If provided check it out independently by phoning store directly.

If you look through his feedback, he only sold 2 things.

On one of the them, the buyer gave a positive feedback but wrote, "Do not do business with this seller. " That was for a ASM 129.

Very rude, while I was at funeral he expected me to ship. I refunded.

Seller:

Member id comicnation007 ( Feedback Score Of 35)

Jan-05-12 16:54

-- (#150723633610)

That was his response to the "do not deal with" poster.

I decided to have some fun...

I am a serious buyer interested in the book. This book is being discussed on a forum I am a member of and up for discussion is your "return policy." What are your exact terms before I lay down $10k +. I would hate to be scammed. I have no problem traveling in order to recover my money. So let me know now if we can do business.

I decided to have some fun...

I am a serious buyer interested in the book. This book is being discussed on a forum I am a member of and up for discussion is your "return policy." What are your exact terms before I lay down $10k +. I would hate to be scammed. I have no problem traveling in order to recover my money. So let me know now if we can do business.

Can't wait to hear. He didnt respond when I said I never received pics of the second book.

His response:

You can return the book if it's not what you purchased. A guy asked to buy it and he then freaked out like a baby because I would not meet him. For all I know is he wants to rob me and he asked me to break the number one EBay rule. For all I know is he is trying to get me in trouble. If you buy it, it's yours. If not stay in touch. I have a large list of books and it sucks these people are such haters.

I am not going to lie. I am in the market for a book that looks like that in that grade and the price range is nice. However, I do not trust him based upon his auction history.

As fas as the number one rule... some items I have sold I will only meet up with the buyer as they are too hard to ship. eBay does not have a rule against meeting up as they offer "local pickup" as an option for shipping. I used it last month after selling a rather large item.

I don't trust him.

You want to throw $10,000 his way and hope for the best then I wish you the best of luck. You may in fact walk away with a steal or you may very well tie up your money if he steals it from you. I am bowing out on this one.

Someone bought it.

OR he had a friend buy it again like last time and he will eventually relist.

I am curious if OP bought it.