• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tips for scanning line art?

2 posts in this topic

This may be a strange question. I want to make a coloring book of some of my OA for my nieces. I think it'd be neat and they might enjoy it. Hopefully that isn't taboo? I like it better than them finding my Itoya portfolios and going to town!

I've scanned some pages at 600dpi, which from what I gather is a bit excessive. Still, you know how OA can be. There are imperfections and things like that in the line art. I use GIMP, not Photoshop, but I think I should be able to do all the same things. I want to get clean line art out of my scans, if possible. What filters or settings do I need to mess with to make that happen? Any insight is appreciated!

Here is a sample page for reference. I'll just link it, because it's pretty big. Maybe I messed up by scanning black and white? That's really the only option the scanner gives me though. Big scanner at work.

Sample Cover

I don't think its taboo to do that, but wouldn't that actually open up the chance of them coloring the real thing if they get ahold of it?

For example, If you tell them not to color anything 11x17, thats an easy blanket rule to understand, but once they have colored a copy, they might colour the real thing if they get ahold of it!

Malvin