• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oldest??

71 posts in this topic

Fantastic Four #2....but then again I refuse to own anything pre-Silver Age Marvel tongue.gif

Mine too! I used to have 1, but I sold it. frown.gif

You both beat me by one. tongue.gif

FF 3 is my oldest.

Thank You Redhook but I Forgot to Add...The New Owner of the 1939-1953 253 Book "VANCOUVER" Pedigree Collection is Steve Geppi of Diamond Int. Galleries. Yes, it was alot of work getting all the Raw & CGC images posted but also most enjoyable. cloud9.gif

I did however keep the FRANKENSTEIN #1 as a Trophy! acclaim.gif

Great Book from 1945 and was one of My Personal Favorites! Frankenstein Comics #1 Front Cover CGC Graded 9.2

Sincerely,

Chris Bell (AST) President

Affordable 2nd Thoughts Inc.

EBay Power Seller/Buyer : ast1155td

EBay Store : http://stores.ebay.com/AFFORDABLE-SECOND-THOUGHTS

Thank You Redhook but I Forgot to Add...The New Owner of the 1939-1953 253 Book "VANCOUVER" Pedigree Collection is Steve Geppi of Diamond Int. Galleries.

That answers that.

Do you type out this signature every time? There's an automatic function on the board that will append that to all of your posts.

In case anyone is wondering- I've had signatures turned off since the week a bunch of people embedded midis in their sigs, but I can see Chris', so I had to ask.

Hi Chris,

Eventually, maybe sometime this summer, I want to start creating the structure for an image-heavy, visual database on the Green River Pedigree. Congrats on the sale, and great book you chose as the trophy!

Redhook

Thank You Redhook but I Forgot to Add...The New Owner of the 1939-1953 253 Book "VANCOUVER" Pedigree Collection is Steve Geppi of Diamond Int. Galleries.

That answers that.

Do you type out this signature every time? There's an automatic function on the board that will append that to all of your posts.

In case anyone is wondering- I've had signatures turned off since the week a bunch of people embedded midis in their sigs, but I can see Chris', so I had to ask.

Thank you for the kind suggestion. Can you explain how to do this ?

Hi Chris,

Eventually, maybe sometime this summer, I want to start creating the structure for an image-heavy, visual database on the Green River Pedigree. Congrats on the sale, and great book you chose as the trophy!

Redhook

Please send me the Link when you get that info together. And ... CHEERS!

Sincerely,

That answers that.

Thank you for the kind suggestion. Can you explain how to do this ?

Go to "My Home" then click "edit" to the right of "Personal information, email, password, etc. " There, simply look for the box labeled "signature" and paste that information in there.

My oldest book is Great Comics #3 -- "Futuro Takes Hitler to Hell" -- from 1942 or so. After that I have some Ficton House/GGA books from 1944-1945.

what's up with tubby there in the center?

Do not be dissing Etta Candy! She is a unique character in comic book history. Etta has no powers and is just a college student. She is unccommonly short, has a weight problem (that she feels isn't a problem at all) and is in love with candy. She's often seen toting a box of chocolates on her adventures. Yet this unlikely heroine is one of the most courageous characters in comics. She will face any danger, is up for any adventure, and is devoted to her friend Wonder Woman. Etta has on many occasions saved Wonder Woman's life. She has one of the mental radio sets that allows her to communicate telepathically with WW. Both have used this to call for help from each other.

Etta is the leader of her college sorority at Holliday College -- the Beata Lambdas. Many a kinky thing has happened at that sorority as WW's creator, William Moulton Marston, believed in bondage and discipline. Etta, always the ringleader of the Holliday Girls, leads her friends (all of whom are tall, thin and beautiful, but rarely named or given personalities) into adventures at Wonder Woman's side.

Her friendship with Wonder Woman is as strong as steel. Both women adore each other as only best friends can. They often put their lives on the line to save one another. Between Etta's enthusiasm and WW's powers they are an unbeatable duo, though Etta is not a traditional sidekick like Robin (i.e. she has a life completely independant from WW).

Comics are filled with 'perfect' characters. Granted, men can be overweight or bald or short (especially if they are villains, or objects of humor), but not women. Women must always be beautiful and often are there simply to be rescued. Etta Candy broke that mold from the get-go and never looked back. She has an indomitable spirit, a sense of humor, and an adventuring heart -- all wrapped up in a package that few would call perfect, yet she herself 'owns' without apology.

In short, Etta is da bomb!

-- Joanna

I cant remember when I bought this.. but I think it was a garage sale buy.

Does anyone know alot about Classic ill. comics..

I cant peg exactly what issue this is.

Back cover inside has a gift set add for Pens with subscription.. but outside back cover has a Classic Ill. add for other Titles.

Inside front cover info list it as July 1944 #15 and has Gilberton printing also..

But I cant tell what to look for on the cover when it talks about Green/Brown tree trunks..

So please fill me in if you know alot about these.. as to what exact issue I have.

I always liked these issues.. and felt this was a keeper.. was hoping 50 years from now someone who might be interested in Black History might like this comic.

Or it might just be birdcage liner.. who knows.

I was surprised though to see it was from 1944.

ci.JPG

I cant remember when I bought this.. but I think it was a garage sale buy.

Does anyone know alot about Classic ill. comics..

I cant peg exactly what issue this is.

Back cover inside has a gift set add for Pens with subscription.. but outside back cover has a Classic Ill. add for other Titles.

Inside front cover info list it as July 1944 #15 and has Gilberton printing also..

But I cant tell what to look for on the cover when it talks about Green/Brown tree trunks..

So please fill me in if you know alot about these.. as to what exact issue I have.

I always liked these issues.. and felt this was a keeper.. was hoping 50 years from now someone who might be interested in Black History might like this comic.

Or it might just be birdcage liner.. who knows.

I was surprised though to see it was from 1944.

ci.JPG

The issues on the back cover are whats called a Re-Order list and the highest number book in that Re-Order list will be the determining factor for your book identification. Look at your Overstreet Price Guide for the # on the front cover in the Classics Illustrated section of the guide and there will be a HRN(highest re-order number) list below that # and this will give you exact reference as to age, edition and value. Best of Luck!

thumbsup2.gif

what's up with tubby there in the center?

Do not be dissing Etta Candy! She is a unique character in comic book history. Etta has no powers and is just a college student. She is unccommonly short, has a weight problem (that she feels isn't a problem at all) and is in love with candy. She's often seen toting a box of chocolates on her adventures. Yet this unlikely heroine is one of the most courageous characters in comics. She will face any danger, is up for any adventure, and is devoted to her friend Wonder Woman. Etta has on many occasions saved Wonder Woman's life. She has one of the mental radio sets that allows her to communicate telepathically with WW. Both have used this to call for help from each other.

Etta is the leader of her college sorority at Holliday College -- the Beata Lambdas. Many a kinky thing has happened at that sorority as WW's creator, William Moulton Marston, believed in bondage and discipline. Etta, always the ringleader of the Holliday Girls, leads her friends (all of whom are tall, thin and beautiful, but rarely named or given personalities) into adventures at Wonder Woman's side.

Her friendship with Wonder Woman is as strong as steel. Both women adore each other as only best friends can. They often put their lives on the line to save one another. Between Etta's enthusiasm and WW's powers they are an unbeatable duo, though Etta is not a traditional sidekick like Robin (i.e. she has a life completely independant from WW).

Comics are filled with 'perfect' characters. Granted, men can be overweight or bald or short (especially if they are villains, or objects of humor), but not women. Women must always be beautiful and often are there simply to be rescued. Etta Candy broke that mold from the get-go and never looked back. She has an indomitable spirit, a sense of humor, and an adventuring heart -- all wrapped up in a package that few would call perfect, yet she herself 'owns' without apology.

In short, Etta is da bomb!

-- Joanna

I don't know if you thought this as you were typing your response but doesn't Etta sound a little like a lesbian to you? All things put together (based only on what you've written, mind you), it sounds like candy isn't the only thing that Etta is in love with. (hint, hint, wink, wink.)

And hey, I'll be the first to say that I love the old-school, busty, leggy broads in Golden Age comics. But in real life, a little meat on my woman's bones is a-ok with me. Maybe not quite as much as Etta's, though...