• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spiderman 1 9.0 sweet copy!

25 posts in this topic

Sweet Sweet Sweet!

SPIDERMAN 1 9.0

Can you see the slab damage along the top edge of the back cover??? 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif That should never happen to a book like that!!! 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif

Oh 893censored-thumb.gif!

Yes, I see it! 893whatthe.gif

Notice where the cover isn't damaged?

It's an 8.5 now... sorry.gifforeheadslap.gif

This type of damage caused by the upper or lower indent of the well is a huge pet peeve of mine. I am very satisfied with CGC services in general but this is my one hang-up, as I have noticed this type of damage as a result of the inner well several times. There must be a way to fix this problem with the inner well.

You guys sure that's damage? Looks like it could be just extra paper on that upper left back corner, as you can see it from the front of the book.

It might be overhang that got pushed down, but I would be mad as 893censored-thumb.gifing 893censored-thumb.gif(rhymes with bell) if I bought that book and saw in person what I think I'm seeing in the scan.

You guys sure that's damage? Looks like it could be just extra paper on that upper left back corner, as you can see it from the front of the book.

Of course it's over-flash of the cover, but the inner well has HAMMERED down the majority of the cover, flattening it compared to the rest of the book.

Just look where the flat cover stops and compare it to the top of the well. foreheadslap.gif

Of course it's over-flash of the cover, but the inner well has HAMMERED down the majority of the cover, flattening it compared to the rest of the book.

Just look where the flat cover stops and compare it to the top of the well. foreheadslap.gif

yup - it sure looks like what FFB has been person_without_enough_empathyin about these last couple of weeks. and how much more dramatically illustrated than on an ASM #1. 893whatthe.gif

now i'm a believer...............

Hello All

I am quite new to these boards. I have really enjoyed reading the various threads over the past months. I live in the UK and I am a keen collector of Fantastic Four, JIM/Thor and miscellaneous others.

Whilst the CGC system has certainly made purchases safer for collectors buying remotely (I now purchase most of my books from the US), I have noted this "well damage" on books I have received and a number I have seen. I was particularly gutted when I recently received my Thor 152 CGC 9.6 NM+ where the top cover overhang was well and truly hammered (I used this term in a communication to someone else upon receipt of the book). I could not see this on the small scan - a lesson for the future. I recently turned down a 9.8 Thor 132 because, from the high resolution scan, that also appeared damaged in the same way.

I now wonder if it is worth going after 9.8 and 9.6 books (unless I can see them in person) and am focussing more on 9.4 and 9.2 books. 9.6 books and above can command such high prices - if they drop to 9.4 due to the above, then the buyer could be well out of pocket in the long run (they may as well buy a 9.4 book to begin with and pay much less).

Alan

Manchester, UK

I now wonder if it is worth going after 9.8 and 9.6 books (unless I can see them in person) and am focussing more on 9.4 and 9.2 books. 9.6 books and above can command such high prices - if they drop to 9.4 due to the above, then the buyer could be well out of pocket in the long run (they may as well buy a 9.4 book to begin with and pay much less).

That's my policy. grin.gif

Forget the overhang on that Spidey, check out the TR front cover - it is difficult to say for sure, but it looks to me like there may be a small color-breaking crease. If it truly is, then it very likely was introduced after slabbing from the book banging into the well during mailing.

I believe it is an infrequent but still all-too-common problem with ultra high grade books, and I am being increasingly careful when making internet purchases to check for it in the scans.

For some reason I can't bring up the Heritage website right now to copy a scan, but speaking of 'well-induced impact damage', check out the ASM #5 9.6 (highest graded from 11/03 auction, I believe). Looking at the back cover, bottom edge alone has convinced me to only have my high grade books slabbed on site and picked up in person.

I have had several submissions with this damage, and rather than stop using the cgc product, I've decided on site grading and pick-up as a compromise to eliminate shifting/movement induced damage during shipping.

What did the Heritage ASM #5 9.6 sell for?

From another thread, CGC recommends that books are re-slabbed every 7 years to change the micro-chamber paper.

So, will this book retain its 9.6 grade if re-submitted in its original holder even if significant impact damage has taken place inside the well?

OK - a little good news about impact damage. I have a CGC 9.0 DD15(or should say had). This is a book upon which I had noticed impact damage on at the bottom from the indent.(_/----------------------------------------\_)

As I mentioned before this inner well damage is the only thing that really bugs me about CGC encapsulated books. So hoping to set my mind at ease and since I have a higher graded copy and this is a relatively inexpensive book I decided to pop it out to see how bad it was.Out of the well it was barely noticable only upon real close inspection.(no where near at all how bad it looked in the well).

I am assuming that the air pressure, or lack of in the well might maintain the form of the impact. But once it is out, the impact smooths out and is not noticable. The actual structure of the book was not damaged. I hope this is true of all books that suffer impact damage. But for now it set my mind at some ease.

If anybody else has inexpensive books with inner well damage in higher grade and decides to pop them out, please post your observations.

I am assuming that the air pressure, or lack of in the well might maintain the form of the impact. But once it is out, the impact smooths out and is not noticable. The actual structure of the book was not damaged. I hope this is true of all books that suffer impact damage. But for now it set my mind at some ease.

I have no idea what you're talking about here.

I've seen all kinds of "well damage" and I sincerely doubt that serious corner wear and impact dents will just magically disappear once they're out of the slab. 27_laughing.gif

I recently saw an X-Men CGC 9.6 that had an impact dent to the URC, and it was so severe that a small rip formed. Is that going to "disappear" when you take it out? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hmm almost makes me want to list my 9.0... Do you think that price was a fluke? I wonder if that price could be met twice..

Movie Hype!

Oh, the Spiderman movie comes out this week.

I better get me a copy before this hit makes the prices go up.

It's that kind of thinking that makes the prices go up! foreheadslap.gif

You might be too late Filter to get in on the pre-movie hype. confused-smiley-013.gif