• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RARE...EERIE #1 Magazine Grade & Scarcity Opinions ???

77 posts in this topic

There's no way that book (counterfeit or not) would get a high grade (9.0+)...

The bottom half of the spine looks like someone rolled it vertically... or horizontally...

whichever one causes multiple spine creases. grin.gif

Looking at both Close-Up front and rear scans what would you put it as? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

something that belongs in the Magazine forum.

27_laughing.gif

Nice one Deathlok Senior flowerred.gif

Thank You, UltimateVenom . flowerred.gif

The bottom half of the spine looks like someone rolled it vertically... or horizontally...

Looking at both Close-Up front and rear scans what would you put it as? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif

How many posts do we have to make about it being a magazine thread before it is moved? 893frustrated.gif

I wanna say 7.5 to 8.0...

I'd be VERY afraid of any seller who said "9.6 to 9.8"...

since they have no clue how to grade, they probably don't know

how to avoid counterfeits either.

27_laughing.gif

How many posts do we have to make about it being a magazine thread before it is moved? 893frustrated.gif

If it was OT it would have been moved to the Water Cooler before you hit the continue button. Of course, most of the posts in this thread are OT anyway. 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif

If it was OT it would have been moved to the Water Cooler before you hit the continue button. Of course, most of the posts in this thread are OT anyway. 27_laughing.gif

I would say all but about 8 are sign-offtopic.gif

27_laughing.gif

8? Some people really know how to ruin a thread. 893frustrated.gif

27_laughing.gif

8? Some people really know how to ruin a thread. 893frustrated.gif

I count 3 of us 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just a couple of comments for you.

1) that is NOT the bald man panel in the link you have (yes there is a bald man on that page - but it is the wrong page).

The correct page is a long panel with very dark backgrounds and it is pretty easy to

tell if his head blends into it or not.

2) It is very hard to get a good idea from the scans provided about the indicia or the roof on the bottom of page one - look very closely at them when inspecting the book.

3) I wnat to say on page 15 (but I may be off) there should be some of the information from the artboard printed vertically on the page.

4) double check the side trimming and measure it.

There are a couple of other things to look for, but I don't remember off the top of my head - I'll ask Greg Theakston next time I see him - he would be as good an expert on this as anyone.

general comment - that has to be the highest price I've ever heard of for any copy - let alone an 8.0 as that one looks to be.

I would stay away from the book for two reasons.

1."I have had it for nearly thirty years. I tried to have Comics Guaranty grade and encapsulate it, but they will not grade magazines or comics with black and white covers."

Yet what do we have here? http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=810&Lot_No=3106&src=pr

2. The book is obviously not even a 9.0 let alone a 9.6-9.8.

Incorrect description on that auction.

If they don't understand the lingo, or the way comics are produced, they should steer clear of trying to put it in the description.

Sorry for the sign-rantpost.gif

1."I have had it for nearly thirty years. I tried to have Comics Guaranty grade and encapsulate it, but they will not grade magazines or comics with black and white covers."

Yet what do we have here? http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=810&Lot_No=3106&src=pr

Borock said in the other thread on this topic that they indeed don't certify Eerie 1

Re: Dear Fellow Comic Magazine Enthusiasts ...

Mephisto44

Re: RARE...EERIE #1 Magazine Grade & Scarcity Opinions ??? [Re: BIG_RAM]

#532755 - 07/04/04 11:24 PM Edit Reply Quote

1."I have had it for nearly thirty years. I tried to have Comics Guaranty grade and encapsulate it, but they will not grade magazines or comics with black and white covers." Yet what do we have here? http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=810&Lot_No=3106&src=pr

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve.... Can you please tell me how you authenticate the Ashcan's (like the above link) and how this would relate to this topic "pro & con" as I would like your thoughts on this? Thanks Steve. Please reply to this in the thread ... . RARE...EERIE #1 Magazine Grade & Scarcity Opinions ???

---------------------

Sincerely,

Chris Bell (AST) President

Affordable 2nd Thoughts Inc.

EBay Power Seller/Buyer : ast1155td

EBay Store : http://stores.ebay.com/AFFORDABLE-SECOND-THOUGHTS

I just requested info from Steve in my other thread. I hope he will reply here with input. Interesting info to bring up?

I'd guess that the chain of ownership on those ashcans is pretty strong and would play a large role in authentication. I don't live in the sunshine state, so you mileage may vary with an guesses of mine...

Borock said in the other thread on this topic that they indeed don't certify Eerie 1

But I doubt because they are merely Black and White covers. Did he happen to mention the reason why I haven't seent the post.

But I doubt because they are merely Black and White covers. Did he happen to mention the reason why I haven't seent the post.

Yep! We will not certify Eerie # 1 because it is too easy to go to Kinko's and make one.... frown.gif