• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"GATHERING HORROR" - A 700 PAGE COMPLETE GUIDE TO FM & WARREN MAGS

50 posts in this topic

I completely agree with Shaven Kev. If there is a demand, a second printing will follow. I am sure the primary driving force behind this book was a passion for the magazines, the art and the history. However, money is always an issue and motivating force.

If the author has such a respect and love for Warren Publications, why wouldn't he want everyone to share and enjoy his book. As far as $250.00 to $300.00 a copy, your probably a fool if you buy this book as an investment. This book has no true potential (original art, etc.) to appreciate other than collectors demand.

Its a double edged sword. Who would want to buy this book and preserve it? One would think (as evidenced by the people who own the book) that collectors would want to read and reference the book over and over. Just as collectors read and consult the "Warren Companion" on a regular basis. So if the book is continually used, its condition is compromised and its value diminished.

I personally hope there is a second print because I was unable to get a copy during the first printing. If this book is anything like the Warren Companion, I would think the value is between $50.00 to $100.00 all day long, in any condition.

I consult the book frequently and enjoy reading the articles in it. But, I do it carefully and the book looks great. It's a book, after all! Specifically, a catalogue that is meant to be read and consulted. It's also not a 50 year old copy of Famous Monsters of Filmland that was printed on crummy paper and has to be archived with micro-chamber paper on fullback acid free boards in mylar!

If one takes reasonable care when reading or consulting "Gathering Horror" it will remain in NM condition.

Mike

Just picked up a copy this past weekend, I look forward to pawing through it!

Where did you find it, eBay? $$$?

You will be pawing through it for quite awhile. It is chock full of info! lol

Mike

I was at a small local show, last purchase of the day at $35!

It seems like Batko owns stock in "gathering Horror" due to the way that he promotes this book (all in good fun Batko!).

I would love to pick up a copy because of the favorable reviews on this thread. However, anyone that would spend two hundred and fifty dollars on this book should have their head examined.

Just saw one on Ebay sold for $73.00 and GACollectibles said he just picked one up for $35.00 at a local show. Be patient and they will come up for sale. Good luck everyone.

It seems like Batko owns stock in "gathering Horror" due to the way that he promotes this book (all in good fun Batko!).

I would love to pick up a copy because of the favorable reviews on this thread. However, anyone that would spend two hundred and fifty dollars on this book should have their head examined.

Just saw one on Ebay sold for $73.00 and GACollectibles said he just picked one up for $35.00 at a local show. Be patient and they will come up for sale. Good luck everyone.

If I had a personal or financial interest in this book you can bet that there would be a hell of a lot more than 300 copies printed. lol

Seriously, I was simply awed when I received my copy and had to pass on the info to fellow FM fans and Warren fans in general. I ran across it accidentally when checking eBay for back issues of Famous Monsters of Filmland. After googling it I discovered the 300 copies had been on sale for a couple of years. The author has to be one of the best and most diligent researchers in the world, but one of the worst marketers! He was selling a copy here and there with no advertising or marketing whatsoever.

When I discovered the book on eBay back in July there were around 25 or 30 copies left of the original 300 after the book had been out for at least two years. Someone should buy the author's rights and start a real marketing campaign. If properly advertised, I believe a second printing of a couple of thousand copies would sell out with no problem and for double the $34 they were going for on eBay.

Anyway, good luck to everyone trying to get a copy!

Mike