• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"GATHERING HORROR" - A 700 PAGE COMPLETE GUIDE TO FM & WARREN MAGS

50 posts in this topic

Click on the following link to go to eBay Item number: 221078746445, "GATHERING HORROR" by David Horne:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221078746445?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I just ordered my copy on a "Buy it Now!" Apparently, there were only 300 copies printed of the first edition and due to lack of advertising this 700 page reference work has not sold out. According to the testimonials this is a super catalogue and reference work of all Warren publications including Famous Monsters of Filmland, Vampirella, Creepy, etc., etc. It covers variations and foreign editions.

For $34.95 plus $4.15 shipping I decided to take a chance and order the heavy, 4.5 lb. book. As a collector of Famous Monsters of Filmland, this is something that I have been looking for for years. I hope it lives up to its hype. However, for $39.10 it's worth taking a shot.

I will post a book review after I receive and read through my copy. But, for the serious collector, I would suggest buying this now before it is gone.

Mike

128518.jpg.db1e2092259b09bcfa49cc5bd8ebfe1d.jpg

Thank you very nuch for your post! I just purchased a copy. :)

You're welcome! Based on the raves it received from some critics and the people who purchased it, and the extensive scope of the work, I believe we did the right thing buying this book. I just don't understand why this didn't sell out immediately? I guess no matter how good your item if you don't advertise properly it won't sell!

The bottom line is that there are only around 10 copies left and once the first edition is sold out the author is not going to publish a second edition. I bought this book to read it and to research my collection, but there is the distinct possibility that with only 300 issues published it could become a valuable rarity if anyone ever figures out how super this book is.

By the way, did you ask the author to autograph your copy? If you didn't and want him to sign it, then send him a quick note via eBay. I didn't realize that he would autograph the book and I got in touch with him before he mailed it out today and he signed my copy.

Mike

Honestly, I can't believe copies of this are still available. I have not seen a better reference book for ANY comic publisher. This book has all things Warren and a lot of the stuff can be found with a little web diligence because most people don't know it exists.

Is there alot that's not already covered in the Warren Companion?
This is totally different. The Warren Companion had a list of all of the better known stuff but this thing has everything produced by Warren, both foreign and domestic. It is not a historical account but more like a bibliography.

Looks like the ebay auction is done for now; 10 available, 10 sold.

Maybe he has more and is putting them up in small batches?

Don't forget to post a review when you get it. How illustrated is it?

THE AUCTION IS STILL GOING ON! 11 copies were sold. 4 left on this auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gathering-Horror-Horne-Warren-Eerie-Creepy-Famous-Monsters-Vampirella-1-catalog-/221078746445?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337951f54d

I just received my autographed copy today numbered 281/300. Since I was the first to buy a copy on this auction and 10 people followed me that would seem to indicate that 291 of the 300 first editions are sold out. However, I wouldn't count on that since the author told me specific numbers were sold in advance, i.e. I requested number 300/300, but he told me that the edition numbered last was already gone along with other key numbers such as #1 (he kept for himself), #13, etc. I would just count on the four editions being left.

All I will say is that this book/catalogue is simply spectacular! It's heavily illustrated, covers domestic Warren publications, foreign Warren publications, Warren products, Warren reprints, post-Warren reprints, etc., etc., ad infinitum. There is a picture for every freakin' Warren magazine and comic published!!!

IF YOU COLLECT FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND (OR ANY WARREN PUBLICATION) THIS IS A MUST HAVE! This is something that we Famous Monsters of Filmland collectors have been waiting for for years!

Mike

Wow. i stumbled across this thread and OMG.. I ordered this book immediately.

I have collected Warren mags since FM #11 and love love love them~ He may be listing more; but it was the last copy of the 15 he offered recently. I cant believe i knew nothing about this book.. Wow!!!!

If anyone is still interested in obtaining David Horne's "GATHERING HORROR," he just put the last 4 copies up on individual eBay auctions starting at $9.99 ($4.15 shipping). The reason that these are so cheap is that there is slight printer's damage to each copy and the author felt that he could not sell them for the original $35.99 price. Each auction describes the damage.

This is a super catalogue of FM and all the Warren publications printed on heavy duty quality paper. I strongly recommend it. I have been poring over my copy since I received it last week and it has some great info and photos of every Warren comic and magazine (including foreign). - Mike

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gathering-Horror-Horne-Warren-Eerie-Creepy-Famous-Monsters-Vampirella-1-catalog-/221093285771?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337a2fcf8b

eBay item number: 221093285771

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gathering-Horror-Horne-Warren-Eerie-Creepy-Famous-Monsters-Vampirella-1-catalog-/221093260381?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337a2f6c5d

eBay item number: 221093260381

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gathering-Horror-Horne-Warren-Eerie-Creepy-Famous-Monsters-Vampirella-1-catalog-/221093231096?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337a2ef9f8

eBay item number: 221093231096

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gathering-Horror-Horne-Warren-Eerie-Creepy-Famous-Monsters-Vampirella-1-catalog-/221093192681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item337a2e63e9

eBay item number: 221093192681