• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Is The Story On This Cover?

19 posts in this topic

This has to be the strangest Fallen Son sketch cover I have seen and I say that with absolutely no disrespect toward Russ Heath at all. The man is a fantastic artist which tells me that there is more going on here than is seen at first glance.

The Captain America looks great, no surprise there. The rest is where it gets strange. I'm not sure what the bikini clad woman is doing with a bow, or for that matter who she is. She is also larger than Cap but behind him, so is she a giant? What I assumed to be a prone Loki lying behind cap is actually two figures. The top half is very Loki-esque and behind that is a supine figure with no identifying features or costume. Lastly there is what appears to be Spider-Man, but while his hands look like either could be holding his trademark webbing, he actually looks to flying. To top is all off, they appear to be in the clouds in some way.

The whole thing is very surreal.

If you have any thoughts, I would certainly love to hear them! I am trying to find a way to contact Mr. Heath for his input, so stay tuned! Hopefully there is more to come!

Russ%20Heath.jpg

As an aside, getting Russ (or any artist for that matter) to do a sketch on the cover of a comic that he had absolutely nothing to do with seems not_in_tune_with_social_norms crazy to me.

I mean, if DC came out with a Sgt Rock or Haunted Tank comic blank then it makes some sense. Or if Marvel released a Son of Satan or Nam blank, two books/characters that Russ actually drew.

This makes no sense. lol

do you have any contact with the original owner of the book? Maybe they can shed some light on what their request was?

Or maybe it's your book, you asked for Russ to do a Captain America sketch and this is what you got back...

wondering if he's referencing something from his memory (like a cover of something he remembers or worked on)...

I think the trend of how Blank Sketch Covers is being used today is for any artist to use it as a blank canvas to draw on.

From an art collector and fan's perspective it's a good medium to use. Although I have heard artists feedback on the lack of paper quality of many of these blank covers which isn't great to draw on sometimes.

From an investor's standpoint or one to get a book CGC'ed, it does seem a bit odd as a collectible as far as direct relevance goes. To me, it's similar to those who get any Marvel Comic Book signed by Stan Lee (like a Hulk #181) which he had less or nothing to do with other than maybe creating the character (The Hulk) or was the credited "Editor In Chief" at the time.

There's a lot of really good unknown artists out there who pour their heart and soul into the renderings on some sketch covers, and there are some name brand superstar artists who draw with no quality that resembles their published work and something that looks like a doodle with an autograph. At the end of the day, I guess it's a "whatever floats your boat" to what people want to have. As it's said, and I think this applies to sketch covers... "make decisions on what you want to keep, not on what you think others will want to buy from you"

As an aside, getting Russ (or any artist for that matter) to do a sketch on the cover of a comic that he had absolutely nothing to do with seems not_in_tune_with_social_norms crazy to me.

I mean, if DC came out with a Sgt Rock or Haunted Tank comic blank then it makes some sense. Or if Marvel released a Son of Satan or Nam blank, two books/characters that Russ actually drew.

This makes no sense. lol

This would get a lot more traction in the sig room. To date there have only been two Heath sketch opportunities (I think). I handled all of the sketch covers from Buck Biggins' opportunity, which means this came from the opportunity set up by NYComics and (I think) Devil's Rain (Brian)

If anyone can answer it, those two can. But having had dinner with Russ and hung out with him a little, my guess is that someone told him to do a Cap cover and go crazy, and that's just what he did.

This makes no sense. lol

Enemy Ace - My entry into the Russ Heath not_in_tune_with_social_norms crazy Olympics

IMG00170-20101123-1914.jpg

This makes no sense. lol

He worked on Marvel books and has been credited in the past with a Cap story but can neither confirm nor deny that ever did any. His likely first superhero story appeared in Captain America Comics #71, it was "The Witness" When asked directly if he ever actually worked on Cap, he stated "I don't remember. I would guess that I never did, but I've done that before. I said I never did any of the Human Torch and then they come up with a story that's signed by me and obviously by me and I just had forgotten completely that I ever did it."

Granted, it's all extremely tenuous at best. I've also got a nice "Sarge" sketch cover from him. I wanted a sketch by Mr. Heath and I wanted a Captain America which is the focus of my sketch collection. It's a win-win regardless of what anyone else says.

I love the cover with that art, but my family would not approve of seeing that in my house....seeing that my grandfather was a WWII war hero, he died in a concentration camp...when he was on duty, he fell asleep and fell off of one of the Watchtowers

I love the cover with that art, but my family would not approve of seeing that in my house....seeing that my grandfather was a WWII war hero, he died in a concentration camp...when he was on duty, it was sad how he fell off of one of the Watchtowers

doh!

lol hysterical, but

doh!

I love the cover with that art, but my family would not approve of seeing that in my house....seeing that my grandfather was a WWII war hero, he died in a concentration camp...when he was on duty, he fell asleep and fell off of one of the Watchtowers

lol You're not well chief, you know that?

Must...not...laugh...oh screw it :roflmao:

What I assumed to be a prone Loki lying behind cap is actually two figures. The top half is very Loki-esque and behind that is a supine figure with no identifying features or costume.

Russ%20Heath.jpg

Looks like a sex act.