• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

general question on sketches..

11 posts in this topic

what price range do most artists charge at conventions for doing sketch work? wondering cause I'm heading to LVCE and was hoping to get either Steigerwald or J. Scott Campbell to do something up for me. thanks in advance...apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

well i saw an AMAZING wolverine sketch by JSC here in the modern marketplace...just sick!!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5860707#Post5860707

i meant that would be unreal!! i just cant bring myself to believe that would cost $40 to have done....just my opinion lol

also...is it better to have the sketch done on a blank that is somewhat affiliated with the artist in question. for example...is it not good to have say Steigerwald do a Lady Mechanika sketch on an Avengers blank?

also...is it better to have the sketch done on a blank that is somewhat affiliated with the artist in question. for example...is it not good to have say Steigerwald do a Lady Mechanika sketch on an Avengers blank?

Most prefer that approach (trying to use a related blank) but thats not always possible, so do what 'cha gotta do.

For ones that dont line up I usually go with a blank like Fear Itself which is at least a little more generic than an Avengers blank.

Campbell wanted 150 for a two by two inch head shot at wwch in 2010. Head shots for most artists go from free to 50 but can go for lots more depending on who it is and full body/multiple heroes.action.color all cost more. I do not use comics for sketches so maybe they price different for artboard vs blank covers/cgc. Also, many artist have sign up sheets you must get on asap.

JSC. Get there as soon as they open. And with luck, there'll only be 2 or 3 people ahead of you. You know how much graded JSC sketches are, and he knows that too, so prepare to shell out a couple of Benjamins.

When JSC was in Denver at comicfest, he wanted $200 for a head sketch and $300 for a full sketch.... Nobody was even at his table, I think he just really wasn't into it and was using the high prices a blow-off. He's my favorite artist but I'd rather buy silver age book for that kind of money.

When JSC was in Denver at comicfest, he wanted $200 for a head sketch and $300 for a full sketch.... Nobody was even at his table, I think he just really wasn't into it and was using the high prices a blow-off. He's my favorite artist but I'd rather buy silver age book for that kind of money.

He didn't care. He got the dough to show up.

Dan

JSC was a guest at a small show last year and I was told that the cost was $200-$300 for a head sketch and $500-$700 for a full figure I think. His commission list though was like full in 5 minutes once the con opened as there were lines of people for him since he was the only big name appearing.