• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on a 'buy, keep, sell' thread?

39 posts in this topic

With all the collectors and 'newbies' coming onto this forum asking about what books would make a good 'investment' or whether they should 'buy' this book or sell such and such a book; I often wondered if a 'buy, keep, or sell' thread would be an invaluable resource?

This is done on certain antique forums and it helps not only 'newbies', but also seasoned veterans ask and answer questions about certain books and their potential. Would there be any interest for a 'thread' like this; preferrably 'stickied?'

Any thoughts?

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I think it's a brilliant idea.

Until someone comes along, reads the first post in the thread and then asks if Hulk #181 is a good investment and doesn't read the rest of the thread.

:baiting: to all you thread skimmers.

You'd have to be a bit careful on the "sell" thread - not to drop the bottom out of any small market for these books (not that there'd be much of one anyway I suppose if it's on that list....)

Bad idea. Most people can't see far enough past their own collecting interests and biases to give objective advice.

Until someone comes along, reads the first post in the thread and then asks if Hulk #181 is a good investment and doesn't read the rest of the thread.

All I got out of this post was "I...Skimmers." :shy:

All I got out of this post was "I...Skimmers." :shy:

get a list going in the first post? if someone can be bothered to edit the first post over and over then all the info could go in that

With all the collectors and 'newbies' coming onto this forum asking about what books would make a good 'investment' or whether they should 'buy' this book or sell such and such a book; I often wondered if a 'buy, keep, or sell' thread would be an invaluable resource?

This is done on certain antique forums and it helps not only 'newbies', but also seasoned veterans ask and answer questions about certain books and their potential. Would there be any interest for a 'thread' like this; preferrably 'stickied?'

Any thoughts?

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Can you give us an example of how it would work?

It can't turn it to a "what's hot and what's not" thread otherwise it'll become a free for all. I'm just interested how you would do it and how you would start it hm

The fact that some people are not as well 'versed' in 'reading comprehension' is no excuse for killing an idea.

Most collectors are at least smart enough (I would hope) to know that collectible markets are either linear (uh-oh!) or hopefully cyclical. That being said, if a post is from let's say today; touting Iron Man #55 as the greatest 'investment' book ever (note: I do not necessarily agree with this; but it is an example); and two years later someone asks if Iron Man #55 is a worthwhile book, the answer may and can change. However, there will always be those books that are good long time 'buys' regardless of what is occurring in the market; assuming the market remains strong and robust (i.e AF #15, X-Men #1, etc.) In that case the question would change to 'is XXXX a safe price to pay for AF #15 or JIM #83.'

The idea can also work on another level and allow collectors to post what they have and get thoughts from the forum asking what comic books should be exactly that; bought, kept, and sold.

This would servce a great reference tool as well, because anyone can go back and look at what was touted as being a great or bad 'book' in 2012 and see how it turned out.

Any other opinions on this? Keep in mind that this would serve as a 'reference tool' and NOT gospel as to what one should do with one's money.

So it depends on time horizons?

People knowing invest in ponzi schemes, because you can still profit from a ponzi scheme as long as you exit prior to the last major investor.

On a two-year clock, I think Iron Man 55 is a far better investment (by percentage return) than Walking Dead, Chew, or even Daredevil 1 in cgc 7.0-9.0.

On a ten-year clock, not so much.

Also, how would we ensure this is any more specific than:

"Sell Walking Dead 1, buy AF 15"?

Is there a major difference between buy and keep?

Absolutely! Let us use this as an example. This is a basic lesson of the economic and financial aspects of the collectibles market.

Let's suppose you bought a book for $500 that is now worth $1,000. You are in a different position than someone who wants to buy that book now at its current price of $1,000.

The person who already has the book may decide to cash out and profit $500. The person who wants to buy has to decide whether a book that gained $500 in 'X" amount of time, may keep moving upward.

I hate to 'double post' but if anyone wants to learn more about these concenpts in the collectibles marketplace, please PM me. I can provide 'links' to websites of some of my 'mentors' in the antiques and collectibles market. These are VERY important lessons that must be understood before anyone chooses to 'buy, keep, or sell!' (Sorry, but I had to do that...)

Respectfully,

'mint'