• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of the most extreme collections you will ever see

87 posts in this topic

I spent a lot of time doing much more than watching. :cool: There were several greco/freestyle seasons where I was the only coach left standing. :sumo:

:hail:

Anybody who spends copious amounts of time in a gym watching boys roll around in spandex is absolutely normal :hail:

For anyone who still cares, at the end of part 9 one of the guys on the tour remarks that his collection will never come close to this lady's, to which she replies "you don't want it to get here, it's just too much", and that the collection was much more enjoyable when it was smaller. She committed to writing a book on all the variations, and she intends to sell most of it when the book is done.

Also, she states that she started buying multiples of the American stuff all the way back in 1982 when she was buying for her sons, so she's probably way ahead value-wise.

Man, if I had that stuff back when I was 8 years old.... I would have been the king of my elementary school! Seeing so many of those that I wanted so bad when I was a kid, pretty awesome.

For anyone who still cares, at the end of part 9 one of the guys on the tour remarks that his collection will never come close to this lady's, to which she replies "you don't want it to get here, it's just too much", and that the collection was much more enjoyable when it was smaller. She committed to writing a book on all the variations, and she intends to sell most of it when the book is done.

I wonder if that's just a rationalization. A book can take years to finish, and you can always convince yourself it's "almost done" or "not quite done yet" or "i need to fix just a few more things."

In other words, not holding my breath for an ebay firesale anytime soon.

Yeah, what he said.

The more time and effort you put into digging for treasure the more treasure you find

During the Michigan garage sale season (April through October) if I have a free Saturday I try to hit a minimum of 40 garage sales between 8 AM and Noon, I've been to nearly 200 in the last 4 weekends. You also need to stick your nose in the classifieds, check out estate sales and auctions, antique shows, toy and record and card shows, and anything else you can think of .

I'm still looking for Mile High III, but I've had my fair share of luck over the years...

Oh, and the net result of the near 200 garage sales? Zero. Zip. Nada. Not nary a single comic....but I found in the neighborhood of 40 Toon Tumblers, many, MANY good mysteries in HC, several pieces of Depression Glass, a Hull cookie jar, an electric guitar, an ENORMOUS Zippo-style lighter (this thing must be 6 inches tall!)

and various other interesting bits. While you;re looking for comics keep your eyes open for other potential treasure. I know a bit about glass, and pottery, and china, and silver, and coins, and toys, and furniture, and musical instruments, and books, and sheet music, and costume jewelry, etc etc and usually manage to pay for my gasoline while I'm diggin' around for the REAL treasure, vintage comics.

And now I'm off to an antique auction, which mentioned in passing pulp magazines and "action comics"

I'll hit a few garage sales on the way out, and a few more on the way back

Somebody wish me good luck!