• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does everyone think of signature series?

173 posts in this topic

I can understand getting an artist to sign some worthless recent book so you can hold onto it for yourself. But if Stan Lee started waving his pen in the general direction of my FF1, I'd tase his .

Watson hates them...

Especially this one:

EVSredskull.jpg

I really dont consider them Sig Series books. :shrug:

Isn't that what the yellow label is all about?

What I mean is that the books like Watson posted arent really signature in the way I think of it. It might be slightly myopic but I think of Sig Series as a signature on a a book. With the sketch cover books its more a piece of individual art than a signature of a mass produced book

I completely agree with this arex!

I have some SS book. All Stan Lee. Look at it this way. The sports card community had been around 25 years before a comic book was created. Many artest have past away, but a majority of them are still alive. People who have signed sports cards from players who died and are in good condition sell for a unpresidented amount, or they are just nice to have; for a part of them lives on within your card or book. Now when people like Stan Lee does pass on, those books, Will be worth much more. Again this depends on how many are signed, it's CGC score, and if he had any part of this book. People get him to sign anything. Look at it as an investment.

My X-men 8 CGC 8.5 will be worth more then a graded 8.5 or a non graded cover at the same time when Stan passes away. At least that's what I am betting on. And trends in sports memoribalia and confirmed autos of people like Kirby prove me correct.

like or hate ss books. it is a simple fact that ss books sell for more then blue label books.

when you are talking about lower grade books the price difference is often times huge.

make no mistake about it when stan is gone the market for his ss books will go crazy. anyone who doesnt believe this is just trying to be argumentative. no matter how many books he signs there will always be people willing to pay for his sig. he is simply one of the most famous and recognizable people on this planet.

haters gonna hate

I have some SS book. All Stan Lee. Look at it this way. The sports card community had been around 25 years before a comic book was created. Many artest have past away, but a majority of them are still alive. People who have signed sports cards from players who died and are in good condition sell for a unpresidented amount, or they are just nice to have; for a part of them lives on within your card or book. Now when people like Stan Lee does pass on, those books, Will be worth much more. Again this depends on how many are signed, it's CGC score, and if he had any part of this book. People get him to sign anything. Look at it as an investment.

My X-men 8 CGC 8.5 will be worth more then a graded 8.5 or a non graded cover at the same time when Stan passes away. At least that's what I am betting on. And trends in sports memoribalia and confirmed autos of people like Kirby prove me correct.

i wouldn't like to guess how many books that man has signed, his signature is worth less than the Euro

i wouldn't like to guess how many books that man has signed, his signature is worth less than the Euro

It's typically better to keep your mouth shut and perhaps be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt.

I have had decent offers for my book. I only have 5 signed books from him. I dont slab everything. My collection is for quality. Been collecting for over 35 years. Only the x-men as well. Most of my collection is 9.2 or higher grade. Comic Connect loves me. But a collector who chose to have SS books is what he or She want. It's personal choice. It's why we collect. To me having a few personal books signed by Stan lee is nice. They look great.

It will be interesting to see if that turns out to be right, and I won't claim to know. I would think on high-end keys you have a real risk that the big money guys are purists who don't want a "damaged" book, i.e. one with ink scribbled on it, and if you take just a couple of those guys out of the picture, you reduce the potential significantly. I wouldn't pay 1/10 the price for a signed key as an unsigned key (except to sell it, of course).

But for a book like X-Men 8 in 8.5, very nice but not super rare, it's possible the signature will prove to be the thing that distinguishes it and taking a few guys out of the bidding doesn't hurt it as much.

It's typically better to keep your mouth shut and perhaps be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt.

nice Twain/Lincoln quote, i think you missed what i meant, in signature terms his signature is worth less than a Kirby signature due to how many he signed, i wasn't trying to belittle anyone's collection

:eyeroll:

nice Twain/Lincoln quote, i think you missed what i meant, in signature terms his signature is worth less than a Kirby signature due to how many he signed, i wasn't trying to belittle anyone's collection

Go check and see the premiums paid for Stan signed keys. Then, you can come back and eat some crow.

I can agree but a Babe Ruth signed card will outsell a non signed card. And a Jack Kirby authentic sig will out sell a non signed book. That's a proven fact. Yes you have those who don't want a SS, but that's on a case to case bases and less of them. But as I said its a gamble. But I did it for myself.

Go check and see the premiums paid for Stan signed keys. Then, you can come back and eat some crow.

I agree that Kirby signed way less and yes that does make a difference. But as I stated only 2 8.5 have been signed by Stan, and I have one. I have a 64 that's an 9.4 SS by Stan and its the only one. Again I did it for me. But I could be wrong I have not looked at the census in a year.

Stan Lee is more famous than Mark Twain.

I don't know if anyone else is thinking this but when I see comments from people stating they have the only one of something be it they went and got a book signed or that was made to be limited in the first place manufactured rare comes to mind. Then I look at items that are manufactured to be rare like comic cover variants and such and how over months they lose their value and can be obtain later at a cheaper price majority of the time after the feeding frenzy.

I personally stay away from manufactured rares now because of that.

Stan Lee is more famous than Mark Twain.

Point? Frazetta is far less famous than Twain or Stan, but his sig on a comic is worth more than Stan's.

I think the entire Signature Series line is a conspiracy to allow certain BSDs to pass books with color touch through the system as unrestored. CGC coordinates with these privileged few and the comic artists signing the books in question to make sure that signature color and placement are done strategically, in order to cover up tiny spots of color touch on otherwise unrestored books.

I think the entire Signature Series line is a conspiracy to allow certain BSDs to pass books with color touch through the system as unrestored. CGC coordinates with these privileged few and the comic artists signing the books in question to make sure that signature color and placement are done strategically, in order to cover up tiny spots of color touch on otherwise unrestored books.

Really? Humm, I just got my book 35 years ago. Paid 45 to have Stan sign it. Then CGC it. Done!