• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

need a SUPERMAN expert to identify this.....

10 posts in this topic

I've had this 11' heavy cast for some 30+ years, from a flea market dealer who knew nothing about the origin.

Looks like at one time a plaque was glued to the front, and the bottom appears to have been covered at one time.. No identifying "S" or trademarks or anything like that.

Ever see anything like this?

593480871_o.jpg

593480884_o.jpg

593480932_o.jpg

593480953_o.jpg

Thats pretty cool. I know nothing about it but it's pretty cool. It reminds me of a figure someone posted a picture of in a glass case with a bunch of superman comics. I think that figure is made of wood though.

Mr Bedrock?

Thats pretty cool. I know nothing about it but it's pretty cool. It reminds me of a figure someone posted a picture of in a glass case with a bunch of superman comics. I think that figure is made of wood though.

Mr Bedrock?

I think so, that sounds familiar. If memory serves right, it was a thread he started about changing his display case in his comic shop.

I've never seen this statue/ figure before though. I've seen the wooden one with the ball joints from 1940 before but never this one. Hopefully someone can shed some light as to what it is.

Never seen this one, but I've seen several examples of the carnival giveaways over the years, they were all cast chalk figures, mostly painted in non-supes colors. No "S" logo on them either, they were all unauthorized, at least the ones I've seen. I've never seen one in nice shape, they've all been chipped and worn.

Mr Bedrock?

I think so, that sounds familiar. If memory serves right, it was a thread he started about changing his display case in his comic shop.

I've never seen this statue/ figure before though. I've seen the wooden one with the ball joints from 1940 before but never this one. Hopefully someone can shed some light as to what it is.

The one pictured in the case was a Sirocco Superman from the early '40s. It is about six inches tall and made of a composite wood material. This cast statue looks much bigger and heavier.

I consulted an expert on Superman artifacts who is a friend of mine. The response was as follows:

If it's in fact Superman, my guess would be a prototype for the bronze statue that Bill Crawford did in 1976. The hand position is similar, though not the blowing cape. As you may know, the Crawford bronze stands 30" high.

Looking at it some more, though, and comparing it to a photo of the Crawford statue, I think the better answer is that this is a low quality knock off. The legs are way too skinny, the boots are wrong, and this would explain the lack of a logo.

Hope that provides some help.