• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just want to vent about a LCS experience today

36 posts in this topic

Hey Zarduzi! Thanks for looking! If it ever turns up I'll buy it from you. Also, yeah I'd love to have those copies. I'll fire you off an email with my details so we can get a shipping quote.

I love this board, lol.

If you are this specific about the books you are looking for (more than just looking for a certain grade), maybe a convention would be the way to go? You would be able to inspect the books until you are satisfied. You will pay more, but it might be worth it.

Dan

Heh. There are detractors who say that services like CGC (and PSA for the card collecting community) has ruined the hobby, but I say it's only ruined it for all these dealer/sellers who have been getting away with overgrading for years.

Back 30 years ago when I was originally collecting, I could almost count on EVERY dealer to overgrade their stock. I never saw one get it right and every book bought via mail order were guaranteed to be below the grade advertised.

Some sellers always overgrade when the sell but undergrade when they buy. ;)

Heh. There are detractors who say that services like CGC (and PSA for the card collecting community) has ruined the hobby, but I say it's only ruined it for all these dealer/sellers who have been getting away with overgrading for years.

Back 30 years ago when I was originally collecting, I could almost count on EVERY dealer to overgrade their stock. I never saw one get it right and every book bought via mail order were guaranteed to be below the grade advertised.

They always overgrade when the sell but undergrade when they buy. ;)

I'm going to take exception to this.

All dealers don't 'overgrade when they sell but undergrade when they buy'.

Many do, no doubt, but to write off all dealers as working in this fashion is simply not true and also offensive to many of the good guys working behind the table.

Many do, no doubt, but to write off all dealers as working in this fashion is simply not true and also offensive to many of the good guys working behind the table.

Nick, you sir are in the minority. :applause:

I agree. Not all are bad these days. Speaking from my experience, including doing business with you, it's much better now and services like CGC and PSA have helped immensely in terms of setting tangible standards and awareness. The available of information and commerce through the internet has helped greatly as well.

That said, this was not the case for me personally 30-35 years ago. None of the LCSs in my area, mail order sellers, or flea market dealers could be trusted to grade with any consistency. Some of this was intentional, some of it was simply lack of skill. Standards were all over the place and the fact that you could never actually see the book when buy it via mail order made it an extremely hit or miss (mostly miss) affair.

If you specified NM+ and he tries it on with overpriced books that don't even come close to that grade and with deliberate misinformation, then you have every right to reject everything he offered and said. That's just showing some common sense.  

After that experience, asking you to buy sight unseen is insulting your intelligence - more than a little.  I'd feel safer getting as far away as possible, quite honestly.

If this LCS is new to you, a quick discussion on grading standards and expectations might have saved you both a bit of time. Assuming these guys grade like CGC (or most knowledgeable collectors) actually might be a stretch if they sell to the uninformed.

Your experience is the reason why I rarely bother with LCS shops, unless the book just happens to be in reach for me to inspect.

Not too many comic shops that are big on the customer service. I dislike walking into a shop, throwing downs some bucks, and not even hearing a thank you.

There are a couple of thoughtless drones in the two shops here in town and they'd have no idea what customer service is if you hit them in the nads with a board full of rusty nails.

Absolutely true.Mr Personality for sure.

Those guys had that Hulk on sale for cover price for 6 months.Over order much lol

Back 30 years ago when I was originally collecting, I could almost count on Some dealers to overgrade their stock. I never saw one get it right and every book bought via mail order were guaranteed to be below the grade advertised.

Some always overgrade when the sell but undergrade when they buy. ;)

Some dealers don't 'overgrade when they sell but undergrade when they buy'.

Duly noted and changed to some dealers.

I hear your one of the best at grading from numerous people via pm`s, and hope to do business with you one day Sir. (thumbs u

Back 30 years ago when I was originally collecting, I could almost count on Some dealers to overgrade their stock. I never saw one get it right and every book bought via mail order were guaranteed to be below the grade advertised.

Some always overgrade when the sell but undergrade when they buy. ;)

Some dealers don't 'overgrade when they sell but undergrade when they buy'.

Duly noted and changed to some dealers.

I hear your one of the best at grading from numerous people via pm`s, and hope to do business with you one day Sir. (thumbs u

(thumbs u