• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best backup feature

18 posts in this topic

I was rereading some of my Alan Moore Miracleman's last night and when I got to the CRAPPY backups that Eclipse was putting in those books I starting thinking about backups that I actually liked.

A few that came to mind are Boy Commandos in Detective (Gold),

Tomahawk in Star Spangled,

Zot in Dimension 10 1/2 in Zot,

Manhunter in Detective (Bronze),

Rocketeer in Starslayer

Any other good backup features?

Rocketeer in Starslayer

I bagged my copies of these so that the Rocketeer back cover shows, and the front cover is against the backing board, and filed them with the rest of the Rocketeers.

Recently a JSA mini-series with crappy art & story in the main feature featured newly invented GA adventures of various JSA members by the likes of Cooke, Azzarello, Risso, Lark & Chabon as backups - excellent stuff.

Recently a JSA mini-series with crappy art & story in the main feature featured newly invented GA adventures of various JSA members by the likes of Cooke, Azzarello, Risso, Lark & Chabon as backups - excellent stuff.

I think I missed that. What was the title?

I was rereading some of my Alan Moore Miracleman's last night and when I got to the CRAPPY backups that Eclipse was putting in those books I starting thinking about backups that I actually liked.

A few that came to mind are Boy Commandos in Detective (Gold),

Tomahawk in Star Spangled,

Zot in Dimension 10 1/2 in Zot,

Manhunter in Detective (Bronze),

Rocketeer in Starslayer

Any other good backup features?

I like your choices, and we had a long discussion on a different thread recently over whether Dr. Strange in Strange Tales qualified as a back-up or not. I think the consensus was that the earlier tales did qualify, up to the point where he started sharing the cover. By that logic, I guess Steranko's Nick Fury wouldn't qualify as a back-up, with it appearing on the cover half the time.

Honorable mentions:

- Human Target in Action Comics

- Green Arrow (by Giordano or Mike Grell) in Action Comics

- Dr. Fate (by Giffen) in the Flash

- Black Orchid in Phantom Stranger

- Kaluta's Spawn of Frankenstein in P.S.

- most all of the war backups when Archie Goodwin was a DC editor, a high point being "Burma Sky" by Alex Toth.

I think I missed that. What was the title?

It was called JSA All Stars - the continuing story in the front of the book held zero interest for me, but I bought a few issues because of the back-up talent:

#3 - Darwyn Cooke - Doctor Fate done in a GA style

#6 - Azzarello & Risso do Hourman

#8 - Michael Chabon & Michael Lark tackle Mr. Terrific

Don't forget the Green Lantern Green Arrow backups that continued in the back of the Flash #217-220,...I think this was a leftover story from the recently canceled Green Lantern series (#89),...cause starting with Flash #221 GL went solo and the stories went lame again....

Gyro Gearloose in Uncle Scrooge.

I think those are just okay. Sorta like the Grandma Duck stories. Not terrible like 90% of the

European [!@#%^&^] Gemstone is publishing these days, but no where near as good as the lead feature.