• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

Nico - I try to be cordial with you as much as I can Because you get a lot of flack on these boards, and while some of it may be merited, I always side with the bully-ee, not bulliers. However you make it really difficult when you constantly bring up lawsuit talk.

We all know you're a lawyer, so you don't have to bring up potential lawsuit and fraud talk every single time you are unhappy about something. You do that a lot. You also make it very clear that collecting comic books for you, the money come first, and the enjoyment of collecting comes second (this is just how it comes off, this very well is untrue, but again, its how you make it look and I'd bet everyone else agrees) this sours my experience being here seeing you start ranting and raving about suing and fraud whenever you think you're losing money on something just takes my smile away.

Guess what, they upped the print count, and there's nothing you can do about it other than get mad. Its not illegal. You can't sue them. Just vent for a moment like others do without bringing out the big guns litigation stuff, its tired.

I'm still keeping you off my ignore list though cause I do enjoy me some Nico wisdom :preach::foryou:

(tsk)

I don't understand what's all the fuss is all about. Yes I know about the Bedlam craziness. I know that the NYCC was/is supposed to be an exclusive. Yes, I'm also one of the people that jump the gun. I brought one copy from here and another copy from my LCS, and yes both were same prices. Do I regret it, maybe (ask me again after a few months). But people seems to loose sight of things here. It's still is an EXCLUSIVE. Either they only printed 500 or 1000, it's still an exclusive. If you brought it at the con, or at your LCS, or maybe a few months from now at your LCS, it's still is an exclusive.

As the preview said, they only have a limited number, so it's still an EXCLUSIVE. ^^

The only reason I brought it up is because there's risk. Recall the Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. situation where employees were reprinting his rookie card. There is an interesting question presented by whether consumers of comics can rely upon the reported print runs, the notion that there was a single printing and that subsequent printings would be marked at such, or some other public policy would prohibit this conduct. The Bedlam situation I think is technically improper because there were material representations that people relied upon that were untrue and certain buyers acted to their detriment as a result of those representations. Now, as I said before, it's not something I would pursue, but it presents other much more interesting questions and that's why its important to think about. And everyone likes to make fun of lawyers until they need one. Lawyers are scum until your nephew gets a DUI or a beam falls on your husband at work. I think the broader question is very interesting but this is probably not the best forum to discuss it in. Anyway, think about it if you want or don't .

i think you are more worried about your spending $40 on these books.

Not that there's anything wrong with worrying about that, but maybe this comic book thing is not for you?

as for the card analogies, i hear you (ive been a card collector for 30+ years), but keep this in mind with comics ..... short of scams and re-productions, you cant buy this particular copy of Bedlam at cover (or near it) as you can now.

i dont think my point is being made clearly. let me try again.

right now, i can buy a wax pack of 1989 Upper Deck for $3 and pull out a Griffey Jr RC.

cant do that with comics.

Very funny! I think your jealous of my Bedlam OA. Your missing my point. What is to stop someone from pulping age appropriate paper and print key golden and silver age books that are in mint condition fresh off the press on aged paper. As a matter of law, it's a very hard question because while I would argue that there is a constructive trust between consumers and publishers who represent that this is the full printing and provide estimates of print runs publicly, a Court could argue as was argues above that it is there intellectual property they can do what they want with it. You read the opposing opinion from the attorney above. I'm a consumer rights attorney so this stuff bothers me more than it does other people and other attorneys for that matter. Anyway, I think it's something to think about. I think it has been discussed to some extent in the Golden age forums, or at least parts of it, from a telephone conversation I had with a GA collector who's a board member.

And I don't collect cards. Haven't since I was 15 years old. But the Ken Griffey Jr. scam happened back when it was an expensive card like $100 a pop not after he suffered all those injuries and the card market collapsed. I'm sure a google search would give you more details than I'm familiar with. The person who told me about it was the GA Boardie.

Edited by Nico Esq

Me stop collecting/reading comics? Seriously? I wholesaled comics back when Capital City was one of Diamond's competitors. You've been collecting for 6 months and your telling me to quit the hobby. That's not cool! (tsk)

I edited the above post to explain about the Ken Griffey scam too ... check it out.

Edited by Nico Esq

Me stop collecting/reading comics? Seriously?

I edited the above post to explain about the Ken Griffey scam too ... check it out.

i know all about UD. did you miss the part where i mentioned ive been collecting cards for the last 30+ years? lol

No, you should not stop collecting. nothing wrong with collecting. Maybe you should worry less about "value" and enjoy your books?

if there are 2,000 NYCC Bedlams made, it wont matter as long as the book is successful franchise. then it will have value. if you are concerned with super-value, then get the sketch covers, not the NYCC's

Your missing the whole point ... the Bedlam thing is not what you need to think about. The issue is whether or not a comic company has the right to reprint perfect replicas of key books from other ages? It's not really topical anymore. It's lame that a publisher would advertise that a book is limited to x amount of books and then print twice the copies, but the impropriety of that illustrates a much larger question. Don't focus on whether or not your comfortable about your $40 purchase. Think bigger.

Your missing the whole point ... the Bedlam thing is not what you need to think about. The issue is whether or not a comic company has the right to reprint perfect replicas of key books from other ages? It's not really topical anymore. It's lame that a publisher would advertise that a book is limited to x amount of books and then print twice the copies, but the impropriety of that illustrates a much larger question. Don't focus on whether or not your comfortable about your $40 purchase. Think bigger.

reprint more in the future, or print more initially then that was stated would be at a certain time?

you think that Image will go back and print up more Walking Dead #1's now? you really think they'd shoot themselves in the foot like that?

The Star card company did just that with its mid-80s Star Basketball Sets. Totally killed the brand as a whole and now not many care for the Michael Jordan Rookie Card that is in them (a full two years before his 1986 Fleer RC)

Steering this back into the comic book realm, are you one of the group of people that feel that CGC gives "bulk" submitters "favorable" grades?

So now that's done, is the print run on the detroit going to be 500 or 1000?

lol

I actually heard it was going to be 666. The end is nigh!

:jokealert:

The guy who ordered the books and runs the show told me 1000. He was with 2 other people standing on line to get them signed by Spencer. Each was holding a bundle which I believe is 20 books and he was filling out a CGC sig form. He said if they don’t sell out at the show they'll be available on his site.

>>The guy who ordered the books and runs the show told me 1000. He was with 2 other people standing on line to get them signed by Spencer. Each was holding a bundle which I believe is 20 books and he was filling out a CGC sig form. He said if they don’t sell out at the show they'll be available on his site.<<

100% correct.

Dennis is a peach.