• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

You crack me up. It's cute how you like to post pictures of stacks of books as if this is some sort of contest. Here's a hint: Not all of us have to whip it out in public for all to see. Not all of us get quite so excited over a stack of books worth $1000 or so that we just picked up last weekend. That doesn't mean that yours is bigger...it just means that some of us aren't as obnoxiously self-impressed as you are. :screwy:

And just for the record, I was referring to the bindery tears, which seem to be on every corner of every color NYCC copy that I have seen, and these bindery tears are much worse than those on Saga 1. The RRPs have them too, but from the numerous copies I have seen of each book, the RRPs look stronger, and the bindery tears aren't quite as bad.

While it is a printing defect, it's still a defect, and I would be shocked if there are many 9.8s of this book. I guess we'll find out when I get my stack of fast-tracked SS copies back in a week or so.

Yes, I was ACTUALLY at the show too. So impressive!

A - Two weekends ago.

B - "Whipped them out" not as a *spoon* contest - just did it show that they are not "All pretty rough" - Small bindery tears do not make a book pretty rough. That's a pretty big leap.

Listen - since you took a shot at me in this thread (selling at NM (thumbs u) and in a previous thread - I don't remember where it was - you like to take shots - it's a fact.

And since you like to discuss my selling practices.... If I were a betting man what you are probably trying to do is make the market look like it will be hard to get CGC 9.8 before you get your "stack" back from CGC.

This way you can sell your 9.8s at a premium or your 9.6s at a nice price as well.

I could be wrong, just my silly little opinion (thumbs u - swing away again, I'll just keep doing what I do and not BS the public at large.

A - Two weekends ago.

B - "Whipped them out" not as a *spoon* contest - just did it show that they are not "All pretty rough" - Small bindery tears do not make a book pretty rough. That's a pretty big leap.

Listen - since you took a shot at me in this thread (selling at NM (thumbs u) and in a previous thread - I don't remember where it was - you like to take shots - it's a fact.

And since you like to discuss my selling practices.... If I were a betting man what you are probably trying to do is make the market look like it will be hard to get CGC 9.8 before you get your "stack" back from CGC.

This way you can sell your 9.8s at a premium or your 9.6s at a nice price as well.

I could be wrong, just my silly little opinion (thumbs u - swing away again, I'll just keep doing what I do and not BS the public at large.

Dre's got a lot of happy customers and fans(myself included), this thread is going to light up like a christmas tree i think.

re: B - I havent been to a comic forum yet, where people dont enjoy seeing pictures of comics :D As long as "it" is books, then everybody should keep whipping it out.

@jjeanius - i dont know what beef you guys have, but on a debate of comicbook condition, showing copies in a picture kind of seems like a legit reply and not a bragging thing?

@Dre specifically :), I have been trying to give you money for almost two months lol. I realize your sales threads keep you busy, but the thing with subscriptions is, books keep coming out and the longer it takes to get on the list, the more I have to chase down on Ebay. Obviously in the case of Bedlam, its not out yet (but I'm fiending on ToTs still here) and doesnt matter yet. On that note, when will variant offers be available to subscribers? Did I get missed, or is it pending still? not trying to derail, I'll PM you as well, just tough to get a hold of you, and we are talking NYCC Bedlams here anyway.

Edited by CBT

A - Two weekends ago.

Dre's got a lot of happy customers and fans(myself included), this thread is going to light up like a christmas tree i think.

re: B - I havent been to a comic forum yet, where people dont enjoy seeing pictures of comics :D As long as "it" is books, then everybody should keep whipping it out.

@jjeanius - i dont know what beef you guys have, but on a debate of comicbook condition, showing copies in a picture kind of seems like a legit reply and not a bragging thing?

@Dre specifically :), I have been trying to give you money for almost two months lol. I realize your sales threads keep you busy, but the thing with subscriptions is, books keep coming out and the longer it takes to get on the list, the more I have to chase down on Ebay. Obviously in the case of Bedlam, its not out yet (but I'm fiending on ToTs still here) and doesnt matter yet. On that note, when will variant offers be available to subscribers? Did I get missed, or is it pending still? not trying to derail, I'll PM you as well, just tough to get a hold of you, and we are talking NYCC Bedlams here anyway.

I have you down... I've been in no rush to get the Bedlams NYCC graded, I've got a stack that will probably go in this week for grading for subscription requests with a few more on top just to have. The craziness with the independants lately has gotten in the way of getting me to consistantly bill people for their books. I have to go back through all the 9.8s that have come in for people (Chew, Saga, Thief of Thieves, Revival) and file them away and bill people.

The good news is that there is a month between this weekend's cons and New Orleans at the end of November. My priority right now is shipping all the raw NYCC orders, then I wll get back to people's 9.8 requests. As they come in from CGC they get filed away so they are not going anywhere. Someday I will bill people for them. lol

You crack me up. It's cute how you like to post pictures of stacks of books as if this is some sort of contest. Here's a hint: Not all of us have to whip it out in public for all to see. Not all of us get quite so excited over a stack of books worth $1000 or so that we just picked up last weekend. That doesn't mean that yours is bigger...it just means that some of us aren't as obnoxiously self-impressed as you are. :screwy:

And just for the record, I was referring to the bindery tears, which seem to be on every corner of every color NYCC copy that I have seen, and these bindery tears are much worse than those on Saga 1. The RRPs have them too, but from the numerous copies I have seen of each book, the RRPs look stronger, and the bindery tears aren't quite as bad.

While it is a printing defect, it's still a defect, and I would be shocked if there are many 9.8s of this book. I guess we'll find out when I get my stack of fast-tracked SS copies back in a week or so.

Yes, I was ACTUALLY at the show too. So impressive!

A - Two weekends ago.

A - score one for you on semantics!

B - Yes, of course...because the photo is so clear, and there isn't any overlap at all, that it would be very easy to pick out defects on a monitor. I bet that's how you always spot the 9.8's, right?

C - Sad truth is that you can't even tell when I'm "taking a shot" at you. In the first conversation you refer to, I actually stated that I couldn't understand the hero worship you receive on this forum from members who seem to think you are doing them some sort of FAVOR by selling books to them. This is a shot at THEM, not YOU, insofar as they don't realize you are in it for the money. They also don't seem to realize that it is the sheer volume of submissions funded by their membership in your subscription service that leads to the increased occurrence of 9.9s and 10.0s that you then sell back to them at a considerable premium above and beyond their subscription price. So, if you have 50 subscribers for a 9.8, and you sub 52 copies, and 2 come back at higher than 9.8, then those two are logically the two you subbed for yourself, and not part of the pre-paid subscription plan, right...? This reminds me of making soap in Fight Club, when they sell women their own fat @sses back. Nice work!

D - The only criticism made in the first post was regarding your penchant for saying, "I know much more about [iNSERT TITLE HERE], but I just can't tell you." (again, obnoxiously self-impressed here. How does that benefit anyone on the forum, other than allowing you another opportunity to puff out your chest and act like a big shot?). And what did you do when I actually came right out and said that I didn't like these types of comments...? You responded by making some comment about how you live in YOUR VERY OWN APARTMENT (WOW!)...and not in your mother's basement. I didn't know you could score so high on inaccuracy and immaturity at the very same time, but...YOU DID IT! (thumbs u

This is just too funny. If I had a dollar for every time you go on and on in a selling thread about just how hard it was to find a particular exclusive in top grade, and just how many raw copies you had to sift through in order to find true 9.8 candidates to offer to board members, I would be a very rich man. You are right, though...I'm so concerned about selling my books that I'm laying ground work weeks in advance. I guess I learned from the "best". (thumbs u

I can tell you that I've been a subscriber of Dre's for years (closing on three to be exact). On occasion, I end up dealing with other dealers that also frequent the cons like Dre does, looking for the hard-to-find exclusives such as the Bedlam NYCC variant.

Getting a response from Dre is A LOT faster than getting one from the other dealers. I'm not saying the other dealers are not customer service-focused but at the end of the day, I realize they're not the the Apple Store where there are literally hundreds of salespeople fawning over me. It would be nice, sure but these subscription services are usually one-man shows. It may be tough to sit and wait to hear back via PM while a con is going on (or even a week after a con) but when you have someone as reliable and thorough as Dre, rest assured you haven't been forgotten.

My 2cents from my own experience.

K.

I couldn't understand the hero worship you receive on this forum from members who seem to think you are doing them some sort of FAVOR by selling books to them. This is a shot at THEM, not YOU, insofar as they don't realize you are in it for the money.

Right then, so if its me being shot at I am weapons free to return fire then? Not one to argue, but have to say you are kind of insulting me with your post.

a.) The fact that you say hero worship, shows the true glitch you have. You are mad that Dre is respected and looked up to? If you need e-love on a forum to feel good about yourself, that's pretty lame.

b.) I am one of said customers, and I am FULLY aware that he is in it to make money. I am also fully aware of the approximate margins of profit he makes from what is essentially arbitrage of CGC services.

Let me tell you a few things. I have professional degrees, I make a lot of money per hour, and I am a smart guy. I am more than capable of telling the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8. I have been collecting comics a long time, and am more than capable of doing what Dre does for me, for myself. The reason I dont, is the economy of scale. For Dre to do well, he needs to move a lot of books. Otherwise the profit vs time spent just isnt worth it. For me to to take the time (count it at my wage), and do all the things required to sub a book or two a month, plus paying the brutal 2-way shipping fees on top of that, and have the risk of a miss from time to time if only one copy of each is sent, would be crazy.

If I want to have a 9.8 of every book of a series, and can buy them at less than the cost of 1 hour of my wage, and have it done by a guy who is doing it PROFESSIONALLY (ie to make money, as he should be). Why on earth WOULDNT I want to do that.

Given the amount of time and effort required, ESPECIALLY for the CONs, Dre deserves respect and praise for the service he provides, and the proven results he gets.

If you are subbing books to flip for a profit, and cant match his results either in number of sales, or happy customers, clearly "you arent doing it right". Many people have tried to do 9.8 subscription services over the years since CGC came out, and most end up folding. The fact that he does it, and succeeds, shows he has a good business model (augmented by the con stuff), and that he is "doing it right".

They also don't seem to realize that it is the sheer volume of submissions funded by their membership in your subscription service that leads to the increased occurrence of 9.9s and 10.0s that you then sell back to them at a considerable premium above and beyond their subscription price. So, if you have 50 subscribers for a 9.8, and you sub 52 copies, and 2 come back at higher than 9.8, then those two are logically the two you subbed for yourself, and not part of the pre-paid subscription plan, right...? This reminds me of making soap in Fight Club, when they sell women their own fat @sses back. Nice work!

mah whut? First, I doubt he has 50 subscribers on one book, and kudos to him if he does. but I have seen him talk about a day job, so i dont think he's there yet....

But explain to me again, why when someone subscribes to a 9.8 service, they would have a claim to a 9.9 if it comes in that way. Also, explain how if he is hitting 9.9s and 10.0s when subbing for 9.8s, that its bad.... A better insult would be to claim he was hitting all sorts of 9.4s and 9.6s and not showing them to people.

Also, I believe he offers most of the 9.9s etc to subscribers if interested, before Ebaying them. Where in any of this is there something he is doing, other than giving everyone what they want, and making happy customers???

Lastly, I have found it universally true in life. When you think you are smart, and a group of other people arent, and that you arent a part of them. Generally speaking, you are part of the group, and dont even realize it.

Instead of presuming that all his customers are fools and dont realize how the comics market works, instead have respect for them. Those same people could be your customers too, if you provided the same service at the same price, with the same track record of proven results....

I couldn't understand the hero worship you receive on this forum from members who seem to think you are doing them some sort of FAVOR by selling books to them. This is a shot at THEM, not YOU, insofar as they don't realize you are in it for the money.

Right then, so if its me being shot at I am weapons free to return fire then? Not one to argue, but have to say you are kind of insulting me with your post.

a.) The fact that you say hero worship, shows the true glitch you have. You are mad that Dre is respected and looked up to? If you need e-love on a forum to feel good about yourself, that's pretty lame.

b.) I am one of said customers, and I am FULLY aware that he is in it to make money. I am also fully aware of the approximate margins of profit he makes from what is essentially arbitrage of CGC services.

Let me tell you a few things. I have professional degrees, I make a lot of money per hour, and I am a smart guy. I am more than capable of telling the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8. I have been collecting comics a long time, and am more than capable of doing what Dre does for me, for myself. The reason I dont, is the economy of scale. For Dre to do well, he needs to move a lot of books. Otherwise the profit vs time spent just isnt worth it. For me to to take the time (count it at my wage), and do all the things required to sub a book or two a month, plus paying the brutal 2-way shipping fees on top of that, and have the risk of a miss from time to time if only one copy of each is sent, would be crazy.

If I want to have a 9.8 of every book of a series, and can buy them at less than the cost of 1 hour of my wage, and have it done by a guy who is doing it PROFESSIONALLY (ie to make money, as he should be). Why on earth WOULDNT I want to do that.

Given the amount of time and effort required, ESPECIALLY for the CONs, Dre deserves respect and praise for the service he provides, and the proven results he gets.

If you are subbing books to flip for a profit, and cant match his results either in number of sales, or happy customers, clearly "you arent doing it right". Many people have tried to do 9.8 subscription services over the years since CGC came out, and most end up folding. The fact that he does it, and succeeds, shows he has a good business model (augmented by the con stuff), and that he is "doing it right".

They also don't seem to realize that it is the sheer volume of submissions funded by their membership in your subscription service that leads to the increased occurrence of 9.9s and 10.0s that you then sell back to them at a considerable premium above and beyond their subscription price. So, if you have 50 subscribers for a 9.8, and you sub 52 copies, and 2 come back at higher than 9.8, then those two are logically the two you subbed for yourself, and not part of the pre-paid subscription plan, right...? This reminds me of making soap in Fight Club, when they sell women their own fat @sses back. Nice work!

mah whut? First, I doubt he has 50 subscribers on one book, and kudos to him if he does. but I have seen him talk about a day job, so i dont think he's there yet....

But explain to me again, why when someone subscribes to a 9.8 service, they would have a claim to a 9.9 if it comes in that way. Also, explain how if he is hitting 9.9s and 10.0s when subbing for 9.8s, that its bad.... A better insult would be to claim he was hitting all sorts of 9.4s and 9.6s and not showing them to people.

Also, I believe he offers most of the 9.9s etc to subscribers if interested, before Ebaying them. Where in any of this is there something he is doing, other than giving everyone what they want, and making happy customers???

Lastly, I have found it universally true in life. When you think you are smart, and a group of other people arent, and that you arent a part of them. Generally speaking, you are part of the group, and dont even realize it.

Instead of presuming that all his customers are fools and dont realize how the comics market works, instead have respect for them. Those same people could be your customers too, if you provided the same service at the same price, with the same track record of proven results....

Yeah! What he said! lol

blahblahblahblah

I'm sorry...who are you, and why are you talking? No one was talking to you.

I understand the system, and I've actually said in the past that I admire Dre's business model. I don't argue with the usefulness of the service provided, or the fact that Dre does it well. I was commenting on the way people fawn all over him on this board as if he is some kind of second-coming.

If you are fawning all over him and foaming at the mouth every time he posts, then yes, I am referring to you. If not, then no reason to get your panties in a twist. I wasn't criticizing all of his customers...just the mindless lemmings who seem to think that they need to suck up to get the books they want.

Of course, I also am fully aware that I am in the lion's den here, and said lemmings will now attack en masse for having publicly criticized their master. I guess that's why so many others think better of it, and choose to keep their mouths shut rather than voicing any dissenting opinions on this forum. I guess I'm just not that smart.

Edited by jjeanius

They also don't seem to realize that it is the sheer volume of submissions funded by their membership in your subscription service that leads to the increased occurrence of 9.9s and 10.0s that you then sell back to them at a considerable premium above and beyond their subscription price. So, if you have 50 subscribers for a 9.8, and you sub 52 copies, and 2 come back at higher than 9.8, then those two are logically the two you subbed for yourself, and not part of the pre-paid subscription plan, right...? This reminds me of making soap in Fight Club, when they sell women their own fat @sses back. Nice work!(thumbs u

Wow, I wish I subbed that many copies. I have some titles that only get subbed one copy a month for a customer(s).

I still get 9.9s & 10.0s on those single copy submissions. Happens all the time. I don't need to sub in bulk to get them. And I don't hold back 9.9s and 10.0s to sell on the open market. They get offered to subscribers first at a fair price.

The only stuff I collect is X-Men. Try again.

This is just too funny. If I had a dollar for every time you go on and on in a selling thread about just how hard it was to find a particular exclusive in top grade, and just how many raw copies you had to sift through in order to find true 9.8 candidates to offer to board members, I would be a very rich man. You are right, though...I'm so concerned about selling my books that I'm laying ground work weeks in advance. I guess I learned from the "best". (thumbs u

If I see a bad print run I call it for what it is - I don't BS about print runs that don't have issues - Try again.

And I don't hold back 9.9s and 10.0s to sell on the open market. They get offered to subscribers first at a fair price.

Never said that you did. Hard to have a conversation when you draw inaccurate assumptions.

If I see a bad print run I call it for what it is - I don't BS about print runs that don't have issues - Try again.

Riiiight...

So you call out print runs that are bad where you are still able to offer raw 9.8s on the forum, but I call out this print run as being bad when you are unwilling to label them as any better than "NM", and I'm the one who is full of BS...? lol

And I don't hold back 9.9s and 10.0s to sell on the open market. They get offered to subscribers first at a fair price.

Never said that you did. Hard to have a conversation when you draw inaccurate assumptions.

So, if you have 50 subscribers for a 9.8, and you sub 52 copies, and 2 come back at higher than 9.8, then those two are logically the two you subbed for yourself, and not part of the pre-paid subscription plan, right...? This reminds me of making soap in Fight Club, when they sell women their own fat @sses back. Nice work!(thumbs u

Try again.

Riiiight...

So you call out print runs that are bad where you are still able to offer raw 9.8s on the forum, but I call out this print run as being bad when you are unwilling to label them as any better than "NM", and I'm the one who is full of BS...? lol

Just makes it harder to find the 9.8s... Try again.

Riiiight...

Please take your personal Vendetta elsewhere. Thanks.

I like Bedlam. I am here to read about Bedlam. I am not to here to listen to you whine about not liking Dre.

If you feel you need to continue please make a separate post.

Edited by lostpike

So, if you have 50 subscribers for a 9.8, and you sub 52 copies, and 2 come back at higher than 9.8, then those two are logically the two you subbed for yourself, and not part of the pre-paid subscription plan, right...? This reminds me of making soap in Fight Club, when they sell women their own fat @sses back. Nice work!(thumbs u

Try again.

I am referring to the fact that the customers that paid to slab all of those books do not randomly receive the 9.9s or 10.0s that result from books being subbed on their behalf, but rather that you then charge a considerable premium for the opportunity to purchase those books.

Riiiight...

Just makes it harder to find the 9.8s... Try again.

Which is why you haven't offered a single raw 9.8 on this forum. I guess the print run is just peachy, though.