• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

So anymore comments on issue 2..Some sites are slamming it pretty good. (IGN). They just need to give this thing a shot and let it build on it's potential.

I agree. I reread issue 2 after reading some poor reviews. I think issue 2 will prove to be a big stepping stone as to where the book is headed

I need to read it all as all I have read so far is the Preview, but I have to admit I was convinced by it. I could see what Seeley was trying to do but I am going to hod fire nd read it all and then stick with it for next 6 issues or so.

Well I have just read 3 shirt reviews, including IGN nd I have to admit, using Google search, the first 2 I read were glowing and IGN was damning. Sounds like a personal think with the IGN reviewer rather than an over view of the actual book.

So anymore comments on issue 2..Some sites are slamming it pretty good. (IGN). They just need to give this thing a shot and let it build on it's potential.

I agree. I reread issue 2 after reading some poor reviews. I think issue 2 will prove to be a big stepping stone as to where the book is headed

I read #2 last night and was much less impressed than with #1. I got a much different feel from #1 than I did from #2 in terms of interest on where the story is heading, and if #2 is the stepping stone I may not keep up with it long term. #3 will be the deciding factor on my continuing readership.

IGN review is not necessarily personal (haven't read it so I can't comment on the specifics) they just may have read it differently than the other reviewers. People have different tastes. Hell, judging by all the posts on here we have a lot of boardies that are apparently interested in reading about My Little Pony, which wouldn't be my cup of tea.

Weird review from IGN.

Juging from the length of the article and the reviewer's whining about 'too much text' in a book I read in under 10 minutes, I'm just going to have to write him off as illiterate.

I will say that issue 2 didn't have the impact of the first issue, but saying nothing happened is just moronic. It introduced a new (major?) bad guy, developed the dynamic between Filmore and the Dr. and showed Filmore 'introduce' himself to the cops.

I will say I wasn't a huge fan of the circus sideshow freak motif in the Dr. scene. A little too tripped out for me, but not a huge deal.

Weird review from IGN.

Juging from the length of the article and the reviewer's whining about 'too much text' in a book I read in under 10 minutes, I'm just going to have to write him off as illiterate.

I will say that issue 2 didn't have the impact of the first issue, but saying nothing happened is just moronic. It introduced a new (major?) bad guy, developed the dynamic between Filmore and the Dr. and showed Filmore 'introduce' himself to the cops.

I will say I wasn't a huge fan of the circus sideshow freak motif in the Dr. scene. A little too tripped out for me, but not a huge deal.

Yeah, I don't get the 'too much text' stuff. It's the #2 issue in the book. Doesn't there need to be some sort of story to follow along with? I wait a month for walking dead to come out and I can read it in 42 seconds. I actually enjoy reading things sometimes.

While I agree that the IGN review was somewhat unconventional and the reviewer didn't justify some of his comments -- the issue wasn't the fact that the there was 'too much text', it's the fact that the narrative was long and drawn-out (pacing-wise). I think it could have been delivered better, and in that respect I agree with the comment on having some editing done on the issue. That said, I'm certainly going to read #3 to see how it pans out.

Weird review from IGN.

So...let me get this straight...

Comics have words in them too? Not just the pretty art?

That is what I liked about the first issue, that it took me more than two minutes to read. I'm so bored with books that I buy and I'm done reading minutes after I get home.

Maybe that's why I'm starting to get into Spencer's writing. He WRITES the story the art wraps around, instead of the basic writing that we've been spoonfed since the 90's (and it was the original image crew that started this trend, it's nice seeing everything come full circle).

And yes, being a writer it is nice seeing a book about story than art for once.

Weird review from IGN.

That is what I liked about the first issue, that it took me more than two minutes to read. I'm so bored with books that I buy and I'm done reading minutes after I get home.

Maybe that's why I'm starting to get into Spencer's writing. He WRITES the story the art wraps around, instead of the basic writing that we've been spoonfed since the 90's (and it was the original image crew that started this trend, it's nice seeing everything come full circle).

+1

I need to read it all as all I have read so far is the Preview, but I have to admit I was convinced by it. I could see what SPENCER was trying to do but I am going to hod fire nd read it all and then stick with it for next 6 issues or so.

:gossip: Corrected that for you.

I haven't gotten a chance to ready #2 yet, but will probably do so today during my lunch break. Issue #1 was a really good read imo, so hoping #2 will be also.

Don't call him Curtis either!

Welcome to the we-know-who-we-mean-but-got-it-wrong-club. lol

Prepare for butthurt. :insane:

Weird review from IGN.

Yeah, I don't get the 'too much text' stuff. It's the #2 issue in the book. Doesn't there need to be some sort of story to follow along with? I wait a month for walking dead to come out and I can read it in 42 seconds. I actually enjoy reading things sometimes.

I like to read and have more text. I hate finishing a book in 6 minutes and be like, "dang, I gotta wait another month." Felt that way with Saga, Walking Dead, and Clone this week.

Well said and agreed. (thumbs u

The content of the book might not be for everyone, but I think the writing is excellent and has substance. Some sharp dialogue in this issue. I go back to

quiet scenes like Eric meeting Danny at the beginning of the issue, or Ramira Acevedo talking to the senior cop and the contrast between their codes of ethics... in the hands of most writers, scenes with no action are dull, but IMO they are richly crafted here & held my interest. The Eric-Danny scene worked well in particular, as it's quiet a shock when it takes a sudden turn for the insane.

I like to read and have more text. I hate finishing a book in 6 minutes and be like, "dang, I gotta wait another month." Felt that way with Saga, Walking Dead, and Clone this week.

+1

I'm TPB-all-the-way with Walking Dead. I hate waiting longer, but I don't think I have the patience to read it bit by bit in single issue form.

Don't call him Curtis either!

Welcome to the we-know-who-we-mean-but-got-it-wrong-club. lol

Prepare for butthurt. :insane:

lol

Previous comments by me on an unrelated topic were only meant to emphasise a point on common decency and the need to calm down. I actually like quite alot of what you say when you're being nice Andy not Madder Red :foryou: