• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

Wow and some wonder why some writers wont come here anymore and post.

this guy is notorious tho. infinite vacation anyone? why shouldn't the people supporting his book be pissed he can't get it out on time?

Just stop buying. I no longer buy any books from JMS and Kevin Smith for the same reason. How hard is it? Let your $$$ talk instead of your mouths.

It's a great book though.

Sadly Image look to be struggling with the recent success of their company.

A lot of hits, leading to more titles, and now they can't get the books out on time.

Was it any suprise to the company or writers/artists that with increased interest and sales, there would come an expectation of a regular product?

Too many comic writers and artists have a terrible work ethic, and this leads to situations like this.

Image won't get bigger until it installs a system whereby a monthly, has to be a monthly.

If it can be done with Marvel, DC, Avatar and Skybound then why can't Image?

Oh yeah, the rot is at the top.

Forgot sorry.

2c

It's a great book though.

Sadly Image look to be struggling with the recent success of their company.

A lot of hits, leading to more titles, and now they can't get the books out on time.

Was it any suprise to the company or writers/artists that with increased interest and sales, there would come an expectation of a regular product?

Too many comic writers and artists have a terrible work ethic, and this leads to situations like this.

Image won't get bigger until it installs a system whereby a monthly, has to be a monthly.

If it can be done with Marvel, DC, Avatar and Skybound then why can't Image?

Oh yeah, the rot is at the top.

Forgot sorry.

2c

Boy, I sure do love when people make comments about my work ethic, especially while I write 5 books and haven't taken a day off in months.

BEDLAM will have shipped 10 issues in a year. That's the same number as most Image books. It's the standard number for creator-owned books. We don't do fill-in creative teams, so the books take longer to make. I have to prioritize my time based on the income I make from something as well, just like you.

Really offensive stuff. I appreciate people want the book more often, and that's very nice. But we're not soliciting more issues here til December, so we're being responsible. No one is making you any promises, and there is absolutely no rule handed down by God that comic books have to come out monthly.

It's offensive to have an opinion?

Really - since when.

You writing a comic book does not exclude you from the same expectations as any other person paid to perform a service.

Your current book is late.

Previous books are late.

Many Image titles are late and getting later.

Glad, though, that you found time to post here, even though Bedlam has been delayed again.

Look back through the thread. There are others who also aren't happy that this book is late. Many people not happy that other books are late.

If you are offended, then that your problem.

"I have to prioritize my time based on the income I make from something as well"

So basically, you already know you can't do all the work you have committed to do, and will only do the lucrative stuff first - that about cover it Nick?

I'm sure the fanboys will come in and boo and hiss for me not being 'overwhelmed' that you have popped in, but I can assure you that the people in the LCS around the world, that don't have a vested interest in being nice to you to get art and signings from you are pretty fed up wuth the delays in Bedlam and other Image books.

i know you dont care for me Nick, and i can see how you would think that.

Honestly, Bedlam comes off as the redheaded step child compared to Morning Glories.

To be honest, i dont give a mess about what you write for Marvel, all their is the same to me.

But i wish Bedlam would get 13% the attention that Morning Glories gets from you on social media.

Really - since when.

You writing a comic book does not exclude you from the same expectations as any other person paid to perform a service.

Previous books are late.

Glad, though, that you found time to post here, even though Bedlam has been delayed again.

Look back through the thread. There are others who also aren't happy that this book is late. Many people not happy that other books are late.

"I have to prioritize my time based on the income I make from something as well"

So basically, you already know you can't do all the work you have committed to do, and will only do the lucrative stuff first - that about cover it Nick?

I'm sure the fanboys will come in and boo and hiss for me not being 'overwhelmed' that you have popped in, but I can assure you that the people in the LCS around the world, that don't have a vested interest in being nice to you to get art and signings from you are pretty fed up wuth the delays in Bedlam and other Image books.

This is ridiculous Andy. I don't know Nick from Adam but an expectation from the market is not the same thing as a commitment to a monthly product. I've never read anything when Nick committed to a monthly book, a bi-monthly book or even an annual. I don't care if you are not overwhelmed by his presence and want to express your frustration but your comments are downright rude.

I love love LOVE Bedlam. And I don't give a rat's about Morning Glories (tried it, just didn't care for it...to each their own). And I'd obviously love more Bedlam each and every month. That being said, the sense of entitlement here is off the charts. I can't believe the way some of you behave and treat creators simply because you are getting 10 issues a year rather than 12. It's like watching a 5-year-old child throwing a tantrum over an ice cream cone that fell on the floor. Apparently respect and common decency go out the window when you don't get your comics as quickly as you want.

IMO, the point about fill-in artists is a valid one. Sure, Marvel and DC typically ship 12 issues of each title per year...but only 9 or 10 of them are the core creative team, and the other 2 or 3 are garbage fill-in issues. I can do without the filler. I'd much rather have 10 quality issues a year than 12 of varying quality...but hey, maybe that's just me. I guess I'm also just more patient than most.

Edited by jjeanius

i know you dont care for me Nick, and i can see how you would think that.

Honestly, Bedlam comes off as the redheaded step child compared to Morning Glories.

To be honest, i dont give a mess about what you write for Marvel, all their is the same to me.

But i wish Bedlam would get 13% the attention that Morning Glories gets from you on social media.

Listen, I understand your frustration on that, but the reasons are pretty simple-- a whole fan/analysis community has sprung up around Morning Glories. So they do stuff like columns and chats and tumblrs that I of course promote in turn, and proudly.

Bedlam is a work of the heart and something I care about deeply, too, but it's a very different kind of book and a little more conventional in structure, so it doesn't have a lot of that stuff. So there's just not the stuff to tweet about there-- not that any of it really makes a difference in terms of sales.

Really - since when.

Previous books are late.

This is ridiculous Andy. I don't know Nick from Adam but an expectation from the market is not the same thing as a commitment to a monthly product. I've never read anything when Nick committed to a monthly book, a bi-monthly book or even an annual. I don't care if you are not overwhelmed by his presence and want to express your frustration but your comments are downright rude.

I've said my piece Mike.

It is what it is. The fact that there is a whole page prior to my post ragging on this book says it all.

Fanboys can have at it now - I've had my say and I am quite happy with it.

Once again, 10 issues in a year is pretty much industry standard for a creator-owned book. That's because fill-in creative teams aren't used. There is nothing new or unusual here. We're not soliciting new issues until we're caught up, so no one is promising you anything.

Hey Nick... Sorry for my :sorry: but I love Bedlam as well and don't want it to turn into a Nowhere Men scenario. By the way, I know it's not your baby, but what's up with Nowhere Men?

:hi: everyone

Finally something to talk about other than 3D books lol

Bedlam was the first modern book I picked up since I got back into collecting last fall... Great stuff Nick! :applause: I think a lot of this :frustrated: is spilling over from Nowhere Men. I don't think another NWM book will ever come out at this point, but meh -- :gossip: it's so so anyway. Bedlam is great! Just please make sure your heart stays with it! I think there is such amazing potential with this book for a long time great comic which can't be said with a lot of books out there! Thank you for at least stopping by here. I know people are :slapfight: but I would hope everyone can acknowledge that you care enough to try to explain...

E.S.... :facepalm:

:sumo: BEDLAM!! :sumo: