• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

I love Rossmo's art, and think his style was made for Bedlam.

Crushed me when I heard he was leaving the book...

I'll keep reading, but I really liked the fit.

+1 (thumbs u

......TEST TEST > 05/02/14

hmmmm, some random thoughts:

there seem to be two main attitudes on these boards to discussing books. There are people in both camps I like and respect.

the two perspectives I see:

a.) Don't say negative things about creators because they work hard and sometimes read the boards. Have more respect.

b.) It's a message board, the point of it is for people to express themselves and we are free to say whatever we want (within the context of the rules).

====

In response to a.) I would make the following points

- professional "creative" people, writers, artists, by definition are opening themselves up to critique. That is part of their career and there will ALWAYS be people that don't like something.

-We don't need to treat creators with kid gloves, they are big boys and girls and if they really care what "some guy" thinks on the interwebz they are in the wrong business

-I am not one to be into "hero worship", fame, money, power, etc, doesn't impress me. Whether its a president, movie star, comic creator, or whatever, meh. I can be a fan and really like or respect them, but I am not going to be bowing down or kissing any feet.

In response to b.) I would make the following points:

-obviously this is a lot closer to where my perspective lies. It's cool to have creators etc here, and I am definitely in favour of making it a positive place for them. BUT, we are all equal here from the perspective of the message board, and everyone has the same right to express themselves. Whether 1 post or 10,000 , it doesnt matter, EQUAL.

-BUT, i will say, that expressing criticism or dislike for something should be done in a polite and considerate way. Trolling, or viciously trashing something is obviously rude and going to far. There needs to be a balance, between propriety in speaking vs dissent being squelched.

there's my bag of pennies.

Edit:

For the record:

- i love spencer's work and I think riley is very talented.

- i don't like bedlam, story or art, I've moved on but I am certainly still interested in other work from both.

:foryou:

Edited by CBT

Well said.

However, in regard to a) -- I don't think treating anyone with basic decency is handling them with kid gloves. Flat out coming on a public board and saying a creator sucks doesn't seem to serve any real purpose at all. There are certainly better ways to elaborate which can actually be constructive (alternatively, keeping it to yourself).

I think your final couple of lines sums up how to do this pretty well.

Well said.

However, in regard to a) -- I don't think treating anyone with basic decency is handling them with kid gloves. Flat out coming on a public board and saying a creator sucks doesn't seem to serve any real purpose at all. There are certainly better ways to elaborate which can actually be constructive (alternatively, keeping it to yourself).

I think your final couple of lines sums up how to do this pretty well.

under b, i did say:

"BUT, i will say, that expressing criticism or dislike for something should be done in a polite and considerate way. Trolling, or viciously trashing something is obviously rude and going to far. "

which i think mirrors your point.

nice, more attention is just what the doctor ordered. Let's get it back on people's minds.

Are you being facetious?

Not at all. It's print run has fallen every month, hopefully getting some interviews and exposure on big time sites like CBR will make people remember it, give it another try, etc.

nice, more attention is just what the doctor ordered. Let's get it back on people's minds.

Are you being facetious?

Not at all. It's print run has fallen every month, hopefully getting some interviews and exposure on big time sites like CBR will make people remember it, give it another try, etc.

It's a great book! With a serial killer, some outrageous stuff, cool art, weird characters, and totally different from most of the stuff out there.

BEDLAMM! :sumo:

I'm making it my mission to promote The BEDLAM!

This will be the most polarizing art yet. I personally don't like it, but then again I didn't like the art before. That said, it fits the personality of the book.

I follow Riley on twitter and he posted these 2 awesome piece's by other comic artist:

Chris Mitten(Wasteland)

tumblr_mmfn5t4MN91r1n1cgo1_1280.jpg

Moritat

tumblr_mmi0s0nc9r1r1n1cgo1_1280.jpg

Both are amazing pieces! Would love to get Chris Mitten's rendition!

Edited by JerryAmsterdam