• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just finished my First Interview. Please check it out!!

18 posts in this topic

http://americanflipper.wordpress.com/

I'm fortunate enough to know a gentleman who self publishes his own work. I'm a huge fan of his work, but i wouldn't interview him if he wasn't great at what he does. He's the first person i've interviewed for my blog, though i have a second interview coming in about a week. I'd appreciate any constructive criticism (definitely gotta work on my blog tho...pics suck).

My goal is to give more depth to my blog, as i really enjoy it, but also to highlight unheralded artists/writers/inker/publishers/etc. I'd appreciate anyone who not only checks out my blog, but checks out www.talestosuffice.com

Hopefully i can maybe find some new fans of Kenny's work. For those of you who go to Wondercon, he will be exhibiting there next year. He might even be at the upcoming LBCC.

I looked at your blog and this post makes me :(

http://americanflipper.wordpress.com/2012/07/26/got-a-copy-of-batman-incorporated-3/

Got a Copy of Batman Incorporated #3

26 Jul

So, due to the recent tragedy in Aurora Colorado, Batman Incorporated #3 won’t be released until August 22nd. Shops have it, but DC has asked they not release it until then, so unless your shop owner doesn’t care, or you know a shop owner well, you won’t get a copy until then. Well, I know my LCS owner very well. Same guy who sold me four copies of Mind The Gap #2 (Error Version) sold me a copy of Batman Incorporated #3 for $2.80. There’s only one copy on Ebay right now, and it’s at $21 as I type this. I put mine up in a five day auction, so we’ll see how it goes, but I have no worries that i’ll easily make a decent profit. I’ve read the book, and I can understand why DC would want to hold off on releasing it. Pulling the MTG Error Version killed that series’ buzz, though I don’t see the same thing happening with this book, what with Grant Morrison writing it.

Im not sure why it would make you sad. My blog is about buying and selling comics. I buy some for keeps, and some to sell. Comic shops do it all the time. I get to read books, and make a few dollars. Win win to me. Plus, if you read my blog, I make it clear that its not always about profit.

1 - Owner sells to you early. So you flip on ebay

2 - DC wanted the comics to be held back out of respect but let's flip on ebay.

Sorry, I didn't realize your blog was all about the easy ebay flip. That was my fault as I would not have read it in the first place.

1. Owner knows me. Owner knows I sell comics on the side. 2 of my 3 LCS know I sell books.

2. This post wasn't about my blog, it was about my interview. I was excited about finishing it and hoping to get more possible fans for my interviewee, plus compliments/complaints on my job as interviewer.

3. Im currently out of work. My GF has some work, but no full time pay until anita baker releases her next album (december maybe), so we don't have "real" money coming in, but we do have real bills. Selling books has helped me pay my gas/electric bills the last few months.

4. Honestly, im a little worried/nervous/stressed out at not working. My blog is one thing that has helped bring SOME enjoyment, and has been a good distraction.

5. Through my blog, I've been able to meet underground comix legend Larry Fuller, interview him, and become friends with him. Without my blog, that would have never happened.

6. I realize not everyone is going to want to read my blog, but I don't cheat anyone, do anything immoral, etc. I started my blog for me, and people found it and commented on it. If my blog isn't for you, don't read it, but let's not act like i'm doing something wrong.

7. My blog isn't JUST about flipping comic books. Sometimes i get to read books for free, but don't make any money, sometimes i make $1-2 dollars while getting to read certain books, got a free trip to San Diego during comic con. And twice i mention in my blog that it isn't always about profit.

8. i'm not some dude who doesn't like comic books, but still profits off them. I own books from 1937 to current.

9. Don't take this post the wrong way, i'm just saying.....

Sorry, I didn't realize your blog was all about the easy ebay flip. That was my fault as I would not have read it in the first place.

1. Owner knows me. Owner knows I sell comics on the side. 2 of my 3 LCS know I sell books.

2. This post wasn't about my blog, it was about my interview. I was excited about finishing it and hoping to get more possible fans for my interviewee, plus compliments/complaints on my job as interviewer.

3. Im currently out of work. My GF has some work, but no full time pay until anita baker releases her next album (december maybe), so we don't have "real" money coming in, but we do have real bills. Selling books has helped me pay my gas/electric bills the last few months.

4. Honestly, im a little worried/nervous/stressed out at not working. My blog is one thing that has helped bring SOME enjoyment, and has been a good distraction.

5. Through my blog, I've been able to meet underground comix legend Larry Fuller, interview him, and become friends with him. Without my blog, that would have never happened.

6. I realize not everyone is going to want to read my blog, but I don't cheat anyone, do anything immoral, etc. I started my blog for me, and people found it and commented on it. If my blog isn't for you, don't read it, but let's not act like i'm doing something wrong.

7. My blog isn't JUST about flipping comic books. Sometimes i get to read books for free, but don't make any money, sometimes i make $1-2 dollars while getting to read certain books, got a free trip to San Diego during comic con. And twice i mention in my blog that it isn't always about profit.

8. i'm not some dude who doesn't like comic books, but still profits off them. I own books from 1937 to current.

hm

Ok, since I'm obviously "raining on other people's parades" this week I'll give you an honest comment and critique concerning your interview and what you've posted above for that matter.

Your interview is fine if you look at each individual question independent from the rest of it. The best interviewers know how to naturally make an interview flow through proper preparation.

Most poor interviewers will ask the same questions over and over resulting in boring answers. Ask any celebrity doing a junket how many times they get asked, "So, what was it like working with XYZ director?" and they will probably tell you everyone asked that.

The idea is to be creative and be able to automatically create questions based on what the subject is saying. Also, if it's someone that most people aren't familiar with, through your series of questions, you have to have an introductory period as well.

A simple outline for an interview would be something like this:

A. Introduction:

1. question

2. question

B. Current Statis

1. question

2. question

a. follow-up question

b. follow-up question

C. Future

1. question

2. question

Now with that said, let's review your interview.

Your intro is short and tries to be to the point but most people who are unfamiliar with this person are still going to be, which is fine. That's why there are questions.

Unfortunately, your first questions don't let the subject introduce himself. Your first few questions jump right into something that appears to be unrelated to comics at first and more related to some imagined fasination that this guy has worked with rappers. This should have fallen somewhere in the middle.

Somehow after you talk about rapping you manage to throw in a question that doesn't work at all about San Diego. There is no flow between questions and this question doesn't work at all. This type of question might have been a better finishing closing question phrased in the form of "Were can everyone see you this year?"

Question 4 works but only if it's correctly placed. This might have been a better first question then stuck in the middle which could have segwayed into the questions about rap album art.

Question 5 works also, it's your only follow-up question. It's phrased poorly though. The "Speaking of" part should be eliminated and it should only state something about Gustavo. You can't say "speaking of" as a follow-up because you are the one that brought it up. There is no proper flow there.

Question 7 is redundent to Question 6. 7 is phrased better and 6 should have been eliminated because the same info is in both.

You've also numbered 2 different questions the same which has thrown your numbering off. The 2nd #7 question should be removed altogether anyway.

The rest of the interview is fair and you do try to close it with a future outlook.

It might help to listen to some of the best interviewers and pay attention to how they make an interview flow. Barbara Walters, Larry King, Howard Stern, Oprah...

It takes a keen sense to be really good at it.

Ok, last thing, This post that I'm responding to, dude, go find work at a fast food place or something. Some money coming in is better than no money.

I counted 8 times that you said "my blog" and in my mind it comes out somewhat mush-mouthed everytime I see it. If you spent even 1/4 of the time looking for work that you do on your "blog" then you might be working. If you know so many comic shop owners, hell, offer to sweep the place or wash their windows. You'd be surprised how much money you can make washing windows. I know a someone that paid his way through college doing so.

Ok, tough love over... get on with it.

(p.s. can I just say how much I detest the word "blog", just sayin')

hm

Ok, since I'm obviously "raining on other people's parades" this week I'll give you an honest comment and critique concerning your interview and what you've posted above for that matter.

Your interview is fine if you look at each individual question independent from the rest of it. The best interviewers know how to naturally make an interview flow through proper preparation.

Most poor interviewers will ask the same questions over and over resulting in boring answers. Ask any celebrity doing a junket how many times they get asked, "So, what was it like working with XYZ director?" and they will probably tell you everyone asked that.

The idea is to be creative and be able to automatically create questions based on what the subject is saying. Also, if it's someone that most people aren't familiar with, through your series of questions, you have to have an introductory period as well.

A. Introduction:

1. question

2. question

B. Current Statis

1. question

2. question

a. follow-up question

b. follow-up question

C. Future

1. question

2. question

Your intro is short and tries to be to the point but most people who are unfamiliar with this person are still going to be, which is fine. That's why there are questions.

Unfortunately, your first questions don't let the subject introduce himself. Your first few questions jump right into something that appears to be unrelated to comics at first and more related to some imagined fasination that this guy has worked with rappers. This should have fallen somewhere in the middle.

Somehow after you talk about rapping you manage to throw in a question that doesn't work at all about San Diego. There is no flow between questions and this question doesn't work at all. This type of question might have been a better finishing closing question phrased in the form of "Were can everyone see you this year?"

Question 4 works but only if it's correctly placed. This might have been a better first question then stuck in the middle which could have segwayed into the questions about rap album art.

Question 5 works also, it's your only follow-up question. It's phrased poorly though. The "Speaking of" part should be eliminated and it should only state something about Gustavo. You can't say "speaking of" as a follow-up because you are the one that brought it up. There is no proper flow there.

Question 7 is redundent to Question 6. 7 is phrased better and 6 should have been eliminated because the same info is in both.

You've also numbered 2 different questions the same which has thrown your numbering off. The 2nd #7 question should be removed altogether anyway.

The rest of the interview is fair and you do try to close it with a future outlook.

It might help to listen to some of the best interviewers and pay attention to how they make an interview flow. Barbara Walters, Larry King, Howard Stern, Oprah...

Ok, last thing, This post that I'm responding to, dude, go find work at a fast food place or something. Some money coming in is better than no money.

I counted 8 times that you said "my blog" and in my mind it comes out somewhat mush-mouthed everytime I see it. If you spent even 1/4 of the time looking for work that you do on your "blog" then you might be working. If you know so many comic shop owners, hell, offer to sweep the place or wash their windows. You'd be surprised how much money you can make washing windows. I know a someone that paid his way through college doing so.

thank you. the first two questions actually aren't about rapping at all. my interviewee has taken classic hip hop album covers and re-drawn them using classic comic book covers, but you're right about it not introducing him properly.

i've never interviewed anyone before, so i definitely have to work on it.

as for looking for a job, i have been, and really, that was out of line on your part. i made this post about my first interview, and have no problem with tough love regarding that, but attacking me is shameful. i don't have a car (it was totalled while parked), and there currently aren't any jobs in my area that i haven't applied for. i work security (for 11+ years), and have for years worked a job that didn't require a guard card. unfortunately, most security jobs do, so while i've taken the class, i have to wait for the card before i can apply for jobs in my field of expertise. so far, i've been unfairly attacked twice in this thread for no reason by people who don't even know my situation.

and just so i'm clear, i spend way more time looking for jobs than i do on my blog. heck, i have an interview today at 2pm.

c'mon guys, this post is about my interview. i know it's my first interview and could be better. that's partly why i posted. but don't attack me as if i'm some lazy bum who would rather keep up a blog than look for work, or someone immoral.

hm

A. Introduction:

1. question

2. question

B. Current Statis

1. question

2. question

a. follow-up question

b. follow-up question

C. Future

1. question

2. question

thank you. the first two questions actually aren't about rapping at all. my interviewee has taken classic hip hop album covers and re-drawn them using classic comic book covers, but you're right about it not introducing him properly.

i've never interviewed anyone before, so i definitely have to work on it.

as for looking for a job, i have been, and really, that was out of line on your part. i made this post about my first interview, and have no problem with tough love regarding that, but attacking me is shameful. i don't have a car (it was totalled while parked), and there currently aren't any jobs in my area that i haven't applied for. i work security (for 11+ years), and have for years worked a job that didn't require a guard card. unfortunately, most security jobs do, so while i've taken the class, i have to wait for the card before i can apply for jobs in my field of expertise. so far, i've been unfairly attacked twice in this thread for no reason by people who don't even know my situation.

and just so i'm clear, i spend way more time looking for jobs than i do on my blog. heck, i have an interview today at 2pm.

c'mon guys, this post is about my interview. i know it's my first interview and could be better. that's partly why i posted. but don't attack me as if i'm some lazy bum who would rather keep up a blog than look for work, or someone immoral.

To be fair, it's been a tough few weeks so on that note I apologize for my unbridled crassness.

so far, i've been unfairly attacked twice in this thread for no reason by people who don't even know my situation.

I have always made it my policy to never discuss personal problems on the internet, anywhere at any time. Makes life much easier.

And Buffy has got some good critiques in there for improving the quality of your questions. While I'm not as artistically prolific as I once was, the interviews that I can remember were the ones that had unique questions that I was never asked, and perspectives on topics that not many people saw. Most interviewers, in their hurriedness, only skim the material and ask watered down questions of their subject - amounting to nothing more than a wordy press release.

If you really want to make a name for yourself, if you're serious about being an interviewer - you're going to have to put in 10x the work for only 1x the payout.

My suggestion is that next time you have an interview, that you dedicate a few hours getting to know your subject through their work. Look at their catalog of work, old and new, read previous articles and come up with a line of questioning that is relevant - but has never been used.

2c

so far, i've been unfairly attacked twice in this thread for no reason by people who don't even know my situation.

I have always made it my policy to never discuss personal problems on the internet, anywhere at any time. Makes life much easier.

And Buffy has got some good critiques in there for improving the quality of your questions. While I'm not as artistically prolific as I once was, the interviews that I can remember were the ones that had unique questions that I was never asked, and perspectives on topics that not many people saw. Most interviewers, in their hurriedness, only skim the material and ask watered down questions of their subject - amounting to nothing more than a wordy press release.

If you really want to make a name for yourself, if you're serious about being an interviewer - you're going to have to put in 10x the work for only 1x the payout.

My suggestion is that next time you have an interview, that you dedicate a few hours getting to know your subject through their work. Look at their catalog of work, old and new, read previous articles and come up with a line of questioning that is relevant - but has never been used.

2c

To add to this...

Getting in contact with people they know, or family members before you talk to them will also give you tid-bits of info that you can then ask your subject.

The greatest interviewers are also the greatest researchers, or at the very least, have people who work for them that do the research for them.

I think the length you take for your interviews depends on what you want to do with your site. I've done my fair share of interviews, some that were more in depth and involved in an effort to create a better story, and others that ask the same ol' questions in an effort to (more or less) just raise awareness.

I think you need to ask yourself what you want to do with your site and how much effort it's worth. To get better, I suggest reading other interviews and seeing what you like. Do you like the Q&A style, or the more in-depth, full-reporting style? Do what feels right for you.

Edit to Add: I think you also need to figure out your audience, and what you want to convey through your interview. With a clear goal in mind for a particular interview/post, you'll have a much easier time coming up with meaningful questions. For example, in this first interview, what would your readers get out of this post? If I go to your site to read stories about flipping new books and making money, how does this post fit in with everything else? The more you can hone in on your message, the better your posts.

The greatest interviewers are also the greatest researchers

Definitely +1

Research is a huge - often overlooked - aspect of creativity, whether it's drawing, designing or writing.

Definitely +1

Research is a huge - often overlooked - aspect of creativity, whether it's drawing, designing or writing.

That's because most people are lazy.

Definitely +1

Indeed. I'm not sure laziness was the sole culprit, but that wunder kid writer Jonah Lehrer now in the news comes to mind. A guy who knew his stuff and did a bit of research brought this guy down in a matter of weeks. Epic story. Good segue: Make sure the quotes from your subject are legit. :whistle:

Definitely +1

I agree - it's a combination of laziness, and the fact that so few people do it, the bar of acceptability and standards has been lowered. Why do it when no one expects you to?

I try to drive the importance of research into my students by adding it to most of my assignments, and giving them time to do it in-class so I can make sure they are finding what they need.

Back on topic, I'll be interested to read the OP's next interview.

Please don't take my post as a personal attack. You posted about your interview and blog. I read your interview for 2 seconds and then when to look at your other postings. I singled out that one because I find it sad that people try to profit when the publisher themselves are requesting these books be held because of the surrounding tragedy. For me, when I saw that it made me sad because there should be a moral line of what to sell and what not to sell. Not everyone has the same ethics, I understand that. Your post on the subject was solely about making the mighty dollar and I guess that bothered me.

Some of you guys are making it sound like Hawkman needs to do everything by the book and become the best reporter in the world. I'm not disagreeing that doing research is important, but his site is a small blog for a small community, and he's just learning the ropes. There are far more important things to learn first than, say, contacting the subject's friends and family to get even more information.

At this stage, it's all about baby steps and learning the craft through practice. Heck, doing the follow-up questions to key answers is probably the better advice at this stage. And that's something that can be easily added to the next interview, and make it much better.