• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What I'm doing with My Trooper money

82 posts in this topic

Nice computer! I suggest you separate your data storage from your computer though... Get an APC UPS unit and you're set. (It will also cause your computer to run cooler.)

You can turn on and off your machines, but you can leave your NAS on ALL the time. It can also run services like Bittorrent, iTunes Server, Media, Webcams and security camera, FTP Server, etc.

A small 19" rack system might also be cool to house your router, cable modem, NAS, etc.

Run the wiring in your ceiling beforehand and you can centralize your WI-FI and maybe wire your house up for a computer network. (RJ-45)

This way, if your computer dies or is turned off, your data/media is still accessible via iPhone, TV, etc.

(When you're away from your house, you can monitor it via iCam and webcams.)

Excellent idea on separating storage! Might I suggest a Synology suite (http://www.synology.com/us/index.php). Super system, great online community and all your s hit is safe! I've got one and it has been one of the best purchases I've ever made as far as geek-stuff goes. I'm streaming Rush from it to my Playstation right now :banana:

:applause:

My wife made me sell the comics to get a new extension on our house.

Still haven't figured out what to add to make it more comic friendly, maybe I'll ask them to build in the wall shelving as well as speakers in the wall...that'll be cool.

....get them to wall it off half way and put in one of those revolving secret bookshelves. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

In the wall safe! that's what I forgot to tell them to build! Thanks for reminding me.

Still haven't figured out what to add to make it more comic friendly, maybe I'll ask them to build in the wall shelving as well as speakers in the wall...that'll be cool.

....get them to wall it off half way and put in one of those revolving secret bookshelves. GOD BLESS....

In the wall safe! that's what I forgot to tell them to build! Thanks for reminding me.

.....but after they build the wall safe, won't you have to kill them all ? GOD BLESS...

.....but after they build the wall safe, won't you have to kill them all ? GOD BLESS...

[font:Book Antiqua]Not necessarily

you just need one of these...[/font]

2012_men_in_black_3_021-650x432.jpg

[font:Book Antiqua]Not necessarily

you just need one of these...[/font]

2012_men_in_black_3_021-650x432.jpg

lol:takeit:

Nice computer! I suggest you separate your data storage from your computer though... Get an APC UPS unit and you're set. (It will also cause your computer to run cooler.)

You can turn on and off your machines, but you can leave your NAS on ALL the time. It can also run services like Bittorrent, iTunes Server, Media, Webcams and security camera, FTP Server, etc.

A small 19" rack system might also be cool to house your router, cable modem, NAS, etc.

Run the wiring in your ceiling beforehand and you can centralize your WI-FI and maybe wire your house up for a computer network. (RJ-45)

This way, if your computer dies or is turned off, your data/media is still accessible via iPhone, TV, etc.

(When you're away from your house, you can monitor it via iCam and webcams.)

I started researching how to build a NAS, but not sure how yet. Aside from the 4x 3TB drives I'm getting I have 4x2TB WD drives that I was going to put into the NAS box. As for the other recommendations your provided....way beyond my skillset for right now. I'm doing this as a hobby and learning as I go, this is probably my 4th build and by far the most powerful.

When do you connect it to skynet. :o

If you have money to spend and are looking for an idea, build a glass showcase into a wall to show off some of your nicer stuff and keep the dust off of them.

If you have money to spend and are looking for an idea, build a glass showcase into a wall to show off some of your nicer stuff and keep the dust off of them.

I liked yours at NYCC last year.

Thanks. That's my usual set up. I like it as well.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

[font:Book Antiqua]Pictures please...[/font]

:popcorn:

(thumbs u

I don't want to derail Vaughn's thread so here is a link to a con report of mine with pics.

When I was talking about glass showcases, I meant the type that are built into the walls - all glass. They are really professional looking when done right.

(thumbs u

Not sure a glass wall will work for this basement, but that's the out of the box type thinking I like.