• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Toy Hunter" on the Travel Channel

32 posts in this topic

Like all the "reality shows", Toy Hunter has it's "staged" moments.

The person who bought the Bobba Fett prototype in the pilot show at NYCC was none other than TapOut co-founder "Punk ". He saw the item off camera and came back 4 hours later to make the deal. On the show, they made it look like he walked up and made the deal in 2 minutes.

The sale however was legitimate. Punk is a well known collector.

I don't collect toys but I do find the show entertaining.

Cheers!

N.

It's a cool piece, and the guy who bought it genuinely looked stoked to come into one, but if he really paid 17K, he overpaid. I can't believe anyone would pay that kind of amount of something being sold in a baggie. I know it sounds like I'm being nit-picky, but good luck trying to resell it for that amount, especially without it being certified with COA.

Youre bringing up a good point here with the baggie thing,but now im thinking

since everything is pretty much staged,maybe Geoff at the comic book store

DID have it in a AFA casing and they took it out to have a "i found this in the back in a baggie " kind of moment.

Maybe it adds to the coolness factor.

Just like people who release comics from their tombs and keep all the info,couldnt that be done with AFA also ?

But i might be overlooking something totally evident.

The person who bought the Bobba Fett prototype in the pilot show at NYCC was none other than TapOut co-founder "Punk ". He saw the item off camera and came back 4 hours later to make the deal. On the show, they made it look like he walked up and made the deal in 2 minutes.

Cheers!

N.

It's a cool piece, and the guy who bought it genuinely looked stoked to come into one, but if he really paid 17K, he overpaid. I can't believe anyone would pay that kind of amount of something being sold in a baggie. I know it sounds like I'm being nit-picky, but good luck trying to resell it for that amount, especially without it being certified with COA.

DID have it in a AFA casing and they took it out to have a "i found this in the back in a baggie " kind of moment.

Just like people who release comics from their tombs and keep all the info,couldnt that be done with AFA also ?

Anything's possible, but I'm not seeing that being a likely scenario. A figure like that could not be authenticated without a COA. The scenario could have been slightly more believable if the person he was trying to reach on the phone was Chad Thompson or Tom Derby.

Having an ex-Kenner engineer look at the figure is a cool footnote, but I wouldn't buy a piece on that persons opinion alone. I'm not going to go as far as calling his tactics shady, but throwing out a number at the shop of $10K and asking twice the amount at the NYCC just seems like a bush league move. The situation left the impression that this is someone who really didn't know what he was doing, and I'm glad the owner didn't sell it to him for that amount.

Cheers!

N.

Anything's possible, but I'm not seeing that being a likely scenario. A figure like that could not be authenticated without a COA. The scenario could have been slightly more believable if the person he was trying to reach on the phone was Chad Thompson or Tom Derby.

Having an ex-Kenner engineer look at the figure is a cool footnote, but I wouldn't buy a piece on that persons opinion alone. I'm not going to go as far as calling his tactics shady, but throwing out a number at the shop of $10K and asking twice the amount at the NYCC just seems like a bush league move. The situation left the impression that this is someone who really didn't know what he was doing, and I'm glad the owner didn't sell it to him.

Would've been.It would've been a cool footnote had the so-called "expert" had not identified part of it and we can clearly see on camera that its exactly NOT what he says it is.

When your "expert" identifies the latch as an L latch and even says that there was also a J latch,but the shot clearly shows the latch to be in the form of a letter J....

Im truly questioning what exactly went wrong there.

lol

Cheers!

N.

Having an ex-Kenner engineer look at the figure is a cool footnote, but I wouldn't buy a piece on that persons opinion alone. I'm not going to go as far as calling his tactics shady, but throwing out a number at the shop of $10K and asking twice the amount at the NYCC just seems like a bush league move. The situation left the impression that this is someone who really didn't know what he was doing, and I'm glad the owner didn't sell it to him.

Would've been.It would've been a cool footnote had the so-called "expert" had not identified part of it and we can clearly see on camera that its exactly NOT what he says it is.

When your "expert" identifies the latch as an L latch and even says that there was also a J latch,but the shot clearly shows the latch to be in the form of a letter J....

lol

That was an L-slot. He called it "latch" when the term that's used by the collecting community is "slot. The J-slots are usually painted.

Cheers!

N.

lol

That was an L-slot. He called it "latch" when the term that's used by the collecting community is "slot. The J-slots are usually painted.

well , i went looking for J and L slot pics and i found one Ebay auction AFA graded did sell for a cool 15k right after the pilot premiered in January.

This still confuses me as to why something called an L slot would be in the shape of another letter. (shrug)

I'll have another cheeseburger and get over it. lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOBA-FETT-PROTOTYPE-ROCKET-FIRING-1979-/330672974182?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfda52966#ht_1215wt_1271

Cheers!

N.

lol

well , i went looking for J and L slot pics and i found one Ebay auction AFA graded did sell for a cool 15k right after the pilot premiered in January.

This still confuses me as to why something called an L slot would be in the shape of another letter. (shrug)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOBA-FETT-PROTOTYPE-ROCKET-FIRING-1979-/330672974182?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfda52966#ht_1215wt_1271

The "L" shaped slot preceded the "J" shaped slot. The reason the spring loaded firing mechanism evolved to a "J" shape had to do with the way the lever could lock more securely into place.

rocketfett-lslot-back.jpg

rocketfett-jslot-back.jpg

Cheers!

N.

lol

The "L" shaped slot preceded the "J" shaped slot. The reason the spring loaded firing mechanism evolved to a "J" shape had to do with the way the lever could lock more securely into place.

Thank you to take the time to post these.

Cheers!

N.

lol

Thank you to take the time to post these.

(thumbs u

Just being a fan of toys, I really liked the show. I didn't care about the buying and selling. Nor did I care for his lisp. I'm the same way with Pawn Stars."Oh cool! That exists! It was sitting under someone's mattress for 30 years!!"

One thing though guys, this is not; in my opinion, as immature as 'Comic Book men' (or whatever that show is called that I never watch). It is at least done with a serious overtone; thuis giving respect to the hobby and collecting field.

The problem I have with these shows; as I said before, is that they are unrealistic.

Number One: It sets the 'bar' extremely high for people who have old toys in their basement or attic. Your average used vinatge Star Wars figure is only worth a couple of bucks. People see this and think everything is worth money which create a new breed of 'pickers' who do NOT understand the market and live by what is shown on television. This complicates the marker as well.

Number Two: You cannot realistically go on a road trip buying $50 items that are worth $100. The amount of guaranteed buys would have to be huge to justify the cost. It is NOT realistic, as I know of almost no one in the business who does this UNLESS they are buying high end items as well on a consistent basis (i.e American Pickers). You CANNOT expect to specialize (being the key word here) and drive around the country only buying toys.

Number Three: How many of us know toy designers, creators, etc.? This is completely unrealistic. Unless this guy can start showing me 'regular' folks who respond to his ads and want to sell; I will be turned off to this show fairly soon.

These are my issues with this show. Other than that, the concept is great and will keep me coming back for more.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

+1

One thing though guys, this is not; in my opinion, as immature as 'Comic Book men' (or whatever that show is called that I never watch). It is at least done with a serious overtone; thuis giving respect to the hobby and collecting field.

The problem I have with these shows; as I said before, is that they are unrealistic.

Number One: It sets the 'bar' extremely high for people who have old toys in their basement or attic. Your average used vinatge Star Wars figure is only worth a couple of bucks. People see this and think everything is worth money which create a new breed of 'pickers' who do NOT understand the market and live by what is shown on television. This complicates the marker as well.

Number Two: You cannot realistically go on a road trip buying $50 items that are worth $100. The amount of guaranteed buys would have to be huge to justify the cost. It is NOT realistic, as I know of almost no one in the business who does this UNLESS they are buying high end items as well on a consistent basis (i.e American Pickers). You CANNOT expect to specialize (being the key word here) and drive around the country only buying toys.

Number Three: How many of us know toy designers, creators, etc.? This is completely unrealistic. Unless this guy can start showing me 'regular' folks who respond to his ads and want to sell; I will be turned off to this show fairly soon.

These are my issues with this show. Other than that, the concept is great and will keep me coming back for more.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I think this is an important perspective to share out in the open. However it misses some important and essential dynamics and interplay between buyers and owners, and reflects a narrow viewpoint on the differences between "fair market value" and "reselling for profit."

Let's cover the dynamics. First, there is a big difference between a buyer who comes to me to sell something, and the reseller/collector going to the owner to buy their goods.

If a buyer is posting a WTB, visiting my home or soliciting for the purchase of anything I own, the expectation that I'm going to allow that person to go through my items and pitch me on how important it is for them to make profit is a lost proposition.

If however the seller is answering one of my buy ads, and/or is coming to my place of business or a location where items are processed for acquisition, then there are a number of factors which should come into play. Namely, inventory, how many of the same items I already have in stock, the demand for the item and how quickly it will move, just to name a few.

For someone watching this video without really being dialed-in on the nuances of the toy hobby, Jordan seems like your average car salesman dabbling in toys.

Here's how this all ties into the above. He walked into the guys store, on-camera, and was trying to convince the guy that one of the most coveted toy prototypes was worth 50% of $10K.

That would be the equivalent of offering $200K to an owner of an Action Comics 1 which sold for $1Million+.

And yeah, it's a fine line between insulting for the sake of greed. But at least you can say maybe the guy didn't know any better.

I recently completed a deal (still pending pick-up) for an L-Slot and got several opinions before agreeing to do the deal. One of the people offering an opinion offered 1/3 of the value to buy it outright. I responded that I'd like him to put me on a waiting list to buy at his offer rate. No surprise that I didn't receive a reply back. And this is one of the dealers who is in the know and who consistently sells these types of high-end items at the top, top end of the market.

Jordan appears to be no different, but with nowhere near the recognition or reputation, but that doesn't stop him from being that guy who would tell people that there are about 30-50 Fett prototypes floating out there, when the facts are that there are only 15 which have been certified/authenticated as being real, and which have a rocket.

There have been known sales of authentic prototype rockets alone selling for nearly as much as what he was offering for the prototype action figure and rocket. From the standpoint of how rare it is to find a complete prototype Fett, the closest comic book comparison would be the difference between a complete Suspense Comics 3 and and one missing the centerfold story.

He's very lucky the guy didn't throw him out of the shop because if that was me, both he and the camera crew would have been shown the door. He's even luckier the guy agreed to have him sell it for a commission.

So while there is an important distinction between the value of an item, and what it sells for, those in the know have a responsibility to explain all the facts rather than selectively using certain information to take advantage of a situation. 2c