• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel movie character rights talk

28 posts in this topic

I know there have been a few threads on this, but I was curious and went searching for who owns what rights to which Marvel characters. Mainly because I was talking to a friend about how Avengers 2 could have someone else other than Thanos if Marvel was going to use the Infinity Gauntlet as their next big thing and have it as stand alone movies. Obviously just speculation on my part. I would honestly rather see the Avengers build up to Ultron.

Anyways, that's neither here nor there. Here is the article I found that was published 6 months ago: http://screenrant.com/marvel-comics-movies-characters-carl-6766/

I don't know how accurate it is because it does mistakenly make reference to Carnage for a spider man movie, but doesn't list the character under the studio rights. Also, there is a mention on how 20th C owns anything Silver Surfer but doesn't list them under 20th C.

I was also surprised that Apocalypse (or Omega Red) isn't listed under 20th Century Fox for their right to the X-men. I'm torn because I would also really enjoy seeing Apocalypse as a major villian but I haven't enjoyed any of the Xmen movie except First class (I know I am in the minority).

I was also hoping that Marvel can find a way to do a Silver Surfer movie to have him included in an Infinity Gauntlet movie (I'm saying this assuming that I am speculating correctly). As I feel (as with many others) that his presence in FF2 wasn't as good as it could have been.

So, I've come to the end of my post without really having had a question to ask or anything but felt the article was an interesting one to look at when looking at what possibilities may lay in store, especially for fans of the Punisher whose rights have been reverted back to Marvel along with the news that Blade may change hands as well (as a side note I never knew about that alternate ending with Morbius on the rooftop).

Pretty simple.

Fox owns X-Men and all related characters (except Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch)

Fox owns Daredevil, Elektra and all related characters

Fox owns Fantastic Four and all related characters (including Silver Surfer)

Sony owns Spider-Man and all related characters

Sony owns Ghost Rider and all related characters

Marvel owns everything else as well as Blade and The Punisher for which they got back the rights.

Who owns the rights to Sub-Mariner?

Marvel i assume, unless he was sold to Fox under the Fantastic Four deal.

Ah, so it isn't that simple. ;)

That's where the overlap gets confusing. We'd wonder the same thing about Kingpin if he wasn't already in the DD movie.

I started a thread about this same subject.

From I hear,If Fox doesn't start production of Daredevil before this fall,the rights go back to Marvel.

Hope DD goes back :wishluck::wishluck::wishluck:

Last I heard, Fox needs to have a Daredevil film in production sometime this fall to keep the rights. The director signed on for the proposed reboot left the project so right now it's in complete limbo. Fox is going to have to rush the production otherwise Marvel gets it back. I'm hoping Fox just lets it go. Marvel has proven they know how to bring their characters to the screen better than anyone and if Fox rushes production, we're going to get something no better (and probably worse) than the first Daredevil film.

Last I heard, Fox needs to have a Daredevil film in production sometime this fall to keep the rights. The director signed on for the proposed reboot left the project so right now it's in complete limbo. Fox is going to have to rush the production otherwise Marvel gets it back. I'm hoping Fox just lets it go. Marvel has proven they know how to bring their characters to the screen better than anyone and if Fox rushes production, we're going to get something no better (and probably worse) than the first Daredevil film.

X-Men First Class was super rushed and that was pretty good.

True, but even then, I'd still prefer to see these properties in the hands of Marvel.

True, but even then, I'd still prefer to see these properties in the hands of Marvel.

For sure. Marvel should own everything.

I didn't know that in regards to Daredevil. That'd be great if the studio doesn't get their ducks in a row for a Daredevil film. I haven't heard anything other than Stateham wanting to play the role, nothing on who the screenplay writer could be or anything. Something that would needed to be done before the project gets put into production.