• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why i hate the tv show Toy Hunters:A detailed analysis of the pilot

21 posts in this topic

This will be the only post of mine in which i am mean-spirited,sarcastic and sorta swearing.

But this show boils my potato.It reeks of uncool.Not the cool toys parts.Only the host talking and doing business parts.

Watch it first on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYy_9hjhu7U

So now,what do you say we have a recap of this pilot shall we ?

Let's start with a few juicy quotes from Jordan.

"Toy scouts all over "

Huh huh.Yeah sure. lol

"collectors will pay top dollar "

Yup.Theyre out there Jordan.Easy to locate when you've been doing this

for 25 years.

First toy designer he meets is Jeff who in exchange for a little tv spot has the facial expressions of a guy finding out he's

picking up the soap without the trouble of being in a cell.

"I'll give you 100 dollars for this pile"

"What else we got "

"is that a no ?"

Jordan,youre quite the Einstein.

Next fella he meets is Geoff,the comic store owner aka The wizard.Ouuuuu...

Now Jordan is randomly going through boxes until he happens to find the Star wars holy grail of holy grails.He goes on to say he can

find people right this minute,which wouldnt surprise me considering its the Boba to end all Bobas.

He finds it deep inside a box of unopened figurines.Unpunched figurines.

12-back Star wars vintage figurines.Unpunched are rare folks.

Jordan says at the Ny con,some of the biggest buyers are of course Sw collectors.

That box probably has a value of 20 grand.Not one of those is seen at the Ny con.

Easily with a little advertisement,first thing you sell at the con should be the grail right ?

Nope,at the end,clock ticking away the seconds,Jordan sweating bullets,he makes the sale.

Whew,i really thought you were out of a business there pal.I know,"reality show".Got it.

Back to the show.

He takes the Boba Fett out of the bag and at 12:39 you can clearly see the missile fall back into the same bag

A minute later,he goes "Do you have the missile ?" and takes it out of a new bag.

Robert Wise (who was editor on Citizen Kane ) is turning in his grave about that piece of editing.

The next phrase will sound very familiar to everyone in here.Ready ?

Geoff:I know what it is,but i dont know what it's worth.

Action comics 1 verbatim.Not much of a wizard is he ?

Youve held on to it for 25 freakin years,how about a few hours of research on that new fancy schmancy thing they got now,you know the web ?

Little doorbell ring.Credibility just went and left.But hey,at least you're on tv.Jeff from the first segment is bringing the soap for you.

Jordan brings the expert to verify it's real.Jordan seems to imply Geoff just might have a mechanic shop making prototype Boba Fetts on the side.

That or a slap in the face,Geoff will take anything.Why,he's on tv.

Expert shows up.

"That one latch looks like the L version,there was also a J version."

Can we run that clip again ?

Obviously you skipped alphabet class cause that latch totally looks like a letter

J to my eyes,mr.expert.

In most of the Geoff shots,the cameraman was probably drunk as youll notice most shots are focused on the comics behind his head and not on him.

Jordan (speaking of the grail ) :In the end,it might not even sell.

Oh thats right,it just might not even sell.Mmmm.

Ten minutes ago,he could find people like THAT for this.

Now,bummer face shot.

Oh FFS LITTLE JOHNNY !!

Next toy designer he meets is Ron aka The newbie.

When Jordan sees the 1992 Batman stuff he says he was a little older than a kid already.

Look at Jordan's face.Do some simple math and ask yourself if Jordan has his own private Lazarus pit.

"A lot of dealers would take advantage of this guy but i wanna be the first."

"Hey is this mike still on ?"

"how much for all 3 Batman toys ?"

"and you like them that much ?"

"Meh,dont like them THAT much."

What is this,you suffer from anteretrograde amnesia like Guy Pearce in Memento ?

60 seconds ago,you went "do you know how much i can get for these ?"

Now,its meh,dont like em that much.

Oh you motherfrucker.

Then another round of lowballing.

"cost me gas to get here "

"cost me storage to keep them here all this time."

Tell him Ron.

"Yeah,but its all built in the mortgage."

Oh,you motherfrucker.

Bit later,hottie Nicky calls him with a hot lead.

Tom who publishes Tomart toy guide since the 70's.

"Oh yeah,ive heard of this guy,hes like the toy guru or sumtin.

Hold on a minit here folks.

Jordan's been collecting toys for 20 some years,and he wouldnt even know the name of the guy who publishes the toy guide ?

Ive seen a forum post from Jordan saying hes known Tom for the longest time,so i dont know what to believe.

Yeah yeah,i get it,its a "reality show ".Im not even gonna go into that tamper tantrum trick Jordan tries from his book

called 25 ways to make the seller feel bad for dummies.

Next is Jose,the mad scientist and another toy designer.He gets out the mad bubbler and Jordan finds out about the joys of orgasm.

at the 32:35 mark.

Thundercats castle trivia says it was inspired by the great sphynx.Im sorry the great what ?

At the 37:28 mark,a cutie pie Harley Quinn at the Ny con.Over too quick.

He starts showing the bubbler and Boba Fett to people.

39:18 mark.Kill it,kill it with fire. :facepalm:

Guy who finally buys the Fett is Dan Caldwell,co-owner of Tap out.The mixed martial arts clothing business with earnings of 200 million in 2009.

"My girlfriend is gonna kill me."

I think you're good pal.She'll forgive you for buying this.Trust me.

She would however drop you for doing business with a snake.Big difference.

If you listen closely at the 41:50 mark the audio does make it sound like the happy new buyer actually says Boba Bett,whaddya think ?

So Thundercats collectors go orgasmic for stuff like the mad bubbler.Yet at the end of the show,he hasnt sold it yet.

Guess the only qualification for being on the travel channel is to have tiny bits of traveling in your show.

You can check that box,Jordan.

If this wonderful toy hunting show was hosted by giggling guffawing Rick,Chumlee and even Rick's old man,now THAT would

be a top show.But its not.What it is is sad.Just plain sad.

My issue with the show is once again, unrealistic. A person cannot travel around the country and buy items for $50 that they are going to sell for $100. You can do this in your own area. The few mega finds you may find rarely if ever justify the cost. This is my same problem with Auction Hunters as well.

American Pickers is legit because they go after more expensive items that generally net hundreds to thousands of dollars profit.

Other than that, I didn't mind the show at all...for what it is.

Respectfully,

'mint'

i think he needs to rethink his buying strategy...

"this is one of the rarest toys out there"

"i could phone people who'd pay 10 grand for one of these"

"..."

"i'll give you 5 grand"

the seller was probabily thinking about eBaying that shizz straight away

Can someone actually tell us what these toys are ACTUALLY worth? I cannot believe that a functional vintage electronic STAR WARS game in its original box is ONLY worth $75-100....

It is quite common. I pass these up at $50 if that means anything to you; regarding your question.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Can someone actually tell us what these toys are ACTUALLY worth? I cannot believe that a functional vintage electronic STAR WARS game in its original box is ONLY worth $75-100....

It is quite common. I pass these up at $50 if that means anything to you; regarding your question.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Really? It seems soooo cheap. I guess it's really a question of supply vs demand isn't it?

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Really? It seems soooo cheap. I guess it's really a question of supply vs demand isn't it?

If you played it you would understand-lol!

Yes, it is fairly common, but a lot of people do think they have something 'unique' when they show me this. At flea markets however, even in the box, the max I pay for these is $25. I did buy and sell three of these last year alone. I think I got $60, $75, and $85 for a really near mint one.

Maybe I sold them too cheap, I do not know. That being said, though, I think his analysis was spot on.

Nice rant !!! phone up the producer tell him you have the more rare canadian Boba Fett

Tell the producer you will cry alot on camera when he offers you 10$ ! It will be pefect TV

:)

All unrealism aside which you expect from any tv show it is the knowledge and cool things we get to see which I like.

Yeah, it's completely "produced", but it's cool to see the items and get some of the history.

I question authenticity too often I guess.

There are so many fake rocket firing Boba Fetts out there it's hard to tell what's authentic. Same with vinyl cape Jawas.

The problem with the Fett is that if you look closely at the back of the figure, you can see exactly where the firing pin trench should have been carved out but was filled. If you take a Fett apart you can see it even better from the inside.

Hell, I still have a scar on my left thumb from the exacto knife slipping from when I made a rocket firing one.

"Hell, I still have a scar on my left thumb from the exacto knife slipping from when I made a rocket firing one."

Not that is hardcore...!

As for authenticity, I only buy AFA graded toys. It is my personal preference. I love the first 21 carded Star Wars figures. I also like the oddities like the Vinyl Jawa and the Blue Snaggletooth as well.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

No comic shop dealer is going to keep a box of Star Wars unpunched figures OR a rocket firing Boba Fett just "sitting in the back" for 25 years.

The only reason to watch these types of reality shows is just to see the merchandise itself. I don't believe any of the other aspects of the show.

No comic shop dealer is going to keep a box of Star Wars unpunched figures OR a rocket firing Boba Fett just "sitting in the back" for 25 years.

The only reason to watch these types of reality shows is just to see the merchandise itself. I don't believe any of the other aspects of the show.

It's like a guy having a metal detector and being recorded while going into open fields; finding gold rings, bracelets,antique coins, swords and civil war helmets buried everywhere he went, in every episode- week after week..... :screwy:

It's like a guy having a metal detector and being recorded while going into open fields; finding gold rings, bracelets,antique coins, swords and civil war helmets buried everywhere he went, in every episode- week after week..... :screwy:

They already have a show on this (which I am sure you aware); American Digger, I believe...?

It stars a previous wrestler. I forget what channel, as I was not really into it.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

They already have a show on this (which I am sure you aware); American Digger, I believe...?

It stars a previous wrestler. I forget what channel, as I was not really into it.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I know a guy who has ben doing this for 20 + years...all he has to show for it, is a bunch of screws, nails, bike chains, crrapy coins, and a whole lot of rusted nuts

I question authenticity too often I guess.

There are so many fake rocket firing Boba Fetts out there it's hard to tell what's authentic. Same with vinyl cape Jawas.

The problem with the Fett is that if you look closely at the back of the figure, you can see exactly where the firing pin trench should have been carved out but was filled. If you take a Fett apart you can see it even better from the inside.

Hell, I still have a scar on my left thumb from the exacto knife slipping from when I made a rocket firing one.

A friend of mine just sold a vinyl cape jawas about a month or so ago. It is hard to tell since some people use obi's cape and cut out one and such but there is ways to tell like the cross thatched pattern (using a magnifier) on the inside and the colour match to the figure.

If you know these two things which I expect from anyone about to lay a few hundred dollars down you should be ok.