• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Fantastic Four #1 spiked again?

53 posts in this topic

well there are all sorts of reasons be it pressing, running out of movies to make, prices being already high, yes the economy, you name it. But I'm not talking about the "entire SA market" in general. I'm talking about one book. Applying macro trends like the economy to the performance of a single book is perilous at best. Now I don't have a crystal ball. I could be right or wrong or biased.

..but the upward price trend on af15 and hulk 1 (the two best comparables) is noticeably upward. Would it be so shocking to see ff1 go up as well? Its been lagging *well* behind those two and you're right, has pretty much been flat. Its at the point where relative to those other two books, I consider it a good buy.

There was a time, back in the late 80s or early 90s, when TOS39 actually surpassed hulk 1 for a month or two in the monthly overstreet. I knew then that TOS39 had no business being more valuable than hulk 1, and for my money hulk 1 has no business being more valuable long-term than ff1 2c

Agreed. How can you compare TOS 39 with FF1.

you know, having never been in the market for one except as a tirekicker before, I have to say its ANNOYING trying to find a copy that one can be happy with. (ie presents well, less than two arms and two legs in price). Almost every copy I see seems to have... tape... or.. rusty staples.... or... a yellowed appearance to the cover... or... poor PQ... or... big marvel chipping... or.... moisture, or this, that, the other thing. I've been looking in the 4.5 range so naturally there will be defects but its been a pain in my short search so far to find one that looks good with good paper and has just "honest" wear. I've looked at 15 or 20 copies at least in the 2.0 - 6.0 range which you'd think would be enough.

....I thought all marvels were just a matter of money (and truly.. of course they are..) but in my short experience in looking for one, to get one you're happy with you have to pass by quite a few copies it seems. Or overpay substantially. :insane:

you know, having never been in the market for one except as a tirekicker before, I have to say its ANNOYING trying to find a copy that one can be happy with. (ie presents well, less than two arms and two legs in price). Almost every copy I see seems to have... tape... or.. rusty staples.... or... a yellowed appearance to the cover... or... poor PQ... or... big marvel chipping... or.... moisture, or this, that, the other thing. I've been looking in the 4.5 range so naturally there will be defects but its been a pain in my short search so far to find one that looks good with good paper and has just "honest" wear. I've looked at 15 or 20 copies at least in the 2.0 - 6.0 range which you'd think would be enough.

....I thought all marvels were just a matter of money (and truly.. of course they are..) but in my short experience in looking for one, to get one you're happy with you have to pass by quite a few copies it seems. Or overpay substantially. :insane:

+1

I've been looking for a 4.0-7.0 copy i could be happy with for 2 years and havent found it yet. Other than MAYBE Hulk1, it's definitely the hardest to find key with really nice eye appeal unless you have a couple hundred k+ to drop on it :pullhair:

As far as "Has it peaked?", honestly FF1, IH1 and AF15 are the three Marvels imo that will practically never peak. It might be worth less in 6 months or a year but in 5,10, 15 years, it will definitely be worth more than it is now without question imo.

a yellowed appearance to the cover...

I'm so used to this that really white copies look "off" to me.

true. I am not even hoping for a "white" one (lost cause) just one that isn't straight-up yellow/brown :tonofbricks:

+1

I've been looking for a 4.0-7.0 copy i could be happy with for 2 years and havent found it yet. Other than MAYBE Hulk1, it's definitely the hardest to find key with really nice eye appeal unless you have a couple hundred k+ to drop on it :pullhair:

As far as "Has it peaked?", honestly FF1, IH1 and AF15 are the three Marvels imo that will practically never peak. It might be worth less in 6 months or a year but in 5,10, 15 years, it will definitely be worth more than it is now without question imo.

Have you looked at the 7.0 on ebay? looks very nice to me. priced too high but maybe he will deal. I thought about it and then decided I'd rather have a vg+ and another 10k+ :insane:

yeah, that one is pretty nice but that "S" or whatever it is drawn near the spine kind of bothers me. On a lesser book it probably wouldnt but if i'm spending THAT much, i dont want any doodles on the cover.

I havent bothered contacting the seller yet. Not sure if he is a boardie or not but the asking price is so far from what i'd be willing to pay i cant imagine it would work out hm

well I think GPA is around 17 grand. I'd bet he will want 20ish. I thought it was a nice enough copy that perhaps it might not be an impossible gulf to breach, but yeah, if you don't like the "S" then its pointless. For my part I flirted with the idea (the "s" didn't bother me at all and I thought it was great-looking for a 7.0) but its just more than I want to pay for any book frankly.

Thats what i figured. If it was below gpa at auction, the S probably wouldnt bother me if i was getting a great deal. To pay a decent amount over gpa, i wouldnt be happy with that writing on the cover :pullhair:

I just noticed that you didn't get the 4.5 from Bunky. I thought that copy has a pretty white/OW cover and the PQ was sweet...with the Stan Lee sig....what was it that you didn't like? Just curious.

When I was looking I also found that finding a presentable copy for the grade was hard. I ended up living with some things and picked up a copy i'm happy with owning.

Did you finalize the other FF1?

spots of darkness on the staples. Something stupid that no one sane would care about, but I'm not sane.

I proceeded to follow that up with another deal on a 4.5 ff1.... deal was finalized and I was thinking of updating that thread... and then.... again, staple trouble. Good thing I didn't post :insane:

I have since followed that up with yet another deal on yet another 4.5, and have sent payment pending staple check, only to find I sent the wrong address with payment.

So I am fully expect the third book to have either staple trouble or to get sent to the wrong house. :tonofbricks: Yay! So I am not posting anything for the time being as BCOTFF1 (Bronty's Curse of the FF 1) seems to continue so far :frustrated:

:o Wrong address? Was it paypal?

:sick: Sorry about the trouble with the staples. I have the same worry on mine. I'm not a fan of rusty staples...

It's your money so you need to live with it.

I hope you can find a good one. I personally think this book will spike in price.