• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Rankings 2012

369 posts in this topic

I am little known in these parts, but I feel the need to comment. I think the list is wonderful, but it must be heavily weighed by internet presence, collection purchasing and inventory etc as customer service and price wouldn't support some of your top dealers. I typically pop up and drop a few hunder to a few K on books I want (need) for my collection. I have done this with New Force, Dale Roberts, Greg Reece (who deserves to be on this list), Bob Storms, Jamie Graham etc. and they are all TOP NOTCH. I don't care if I get a big toothy grin and a back rub, but I appreciate a nice discussion before a big purchase. I purchase from Sparkle City online routinely and find them to be amazing as well.

Thats the postives.

Through the few cons I go to, I found Metropolis to be difficult to deal with. Unfriendly, condescending, overpriced and overgraded mixed with a general unwillingness to negotiate... in my mind, these should exclude them from this kind of positive top 10 list.. I try not to be petty, but after several attempts with the same general negative experience they have successfully lost my business and my disposable income shall go elsewhere. If I was reading this list and had never dealt with them before, blindly thinking that they must be #1 for a reason, I would be in for a real treat if I sent their stuff straight to CGC. Not in a good way.

Just my 2 cents and a friendly warning to anyone buying raw books.

I agree with this fellow. I had the same experience with some of the hon. mentions (but I won't be specific). In particular, I find the dealer/collector relationship changes after you have done a few transactions, and the dealer feels that they can take away the ability to deal from you.

I am not sure why HA is rated first. They are extremely expensive to me unless you want to buy lots of low to mid grade comics. The buyer's premium for these huge auctions always scares me away.

The buyer's premium for these huge auctions always scares me away.

The buyer's premium is factored into the cost of the comic (if you choose to do the math). Ultimately, the books cost about the same over all as buying them from anyone else.

Bob may not want to comment due to conflict of interest but i will on his behalf as he is as good as they come. He is the exact opposite of every stereotype comic shop dealer. Absolutely PERFECT customer service in every way! You cant possibly go wrong EVER buying from him! (thumbs u

4 of the top 10 surprisingly i guess ive never even done business with. Of the 6 i have done business with, i'd give A+++'s to Clink, Commicconnect, Heritage, Highgradecomics and Mycomicshop. All 5 of them have gone above and beyond helping me out with books i want and need and I would NEVER hesitate to give my money to them.

The 6th is Worldwide comics. I wont rehash the same old thing like in last years thread as i've somewhat gotten over what happened. I will say that Ritter did try to help resolve the problem and was at least courteous and responded to my emails and addressed my concerns over what happened. Because of Ritters more than courteous replies, i will still give them my business.

Matt Nelson on the other hand, i have NOTHING whatsoever positive to say about. To this day(well over a year later!) i still have never received a response to the numerous emails i sent him about my problem with him. The closest i ever got was a condescending post on here to the affect that i didnt send enough emails. I know plenty of people love him but to me he is the definition of whats wrong with this hobby. The day Ritter severs ties with him is the day he will get 10 times as much business from me (thumbs u

Jason, seriously. It was my fault. I made the error. I refunded your money. Hammering on Matt Nelson is ridiculous. I don't even know if he ever saw the book. Maybe I sent it to a different person and that person never let me know. Maybe I sold it previously and didn't realize it and relisted it. What ever happened, though, so much anger and drama targeted at the wrong person isn't appropriate. I apologized in this forum previously and you sent me a PM saying you had been out of line and apologized back. Maybe it is time for you to take a step back, do a little fact checking, and put this back into perspective. If you want to place me as your most hated dealer, I'm okay with that.

Wow! I guess Sufunk owes Matt a apology.

Well, those are nice stories but i have no idea where they came from. Sorry but thats just Jeff covering for a buddy in Matt. From day one, actually day two after i received the box with the missing book not present, the story i was ALWAYS given was that the book WAS received by WW, cracked out by Ritter because it had 9.8 potential and then sent to Matt to try and press up to a 9.8. I was just supposed to wait a few months for it to come back from CGC and all would be good.

Thats a HELL of a lot to just make up out of nowhere if you maybe didnt even own the book at the time Jeff! It was VERY clear what happened to the book at the time it happened and where it was. After almost 2 years, now the story is changing and maybe Jeff didnt even own it or maybe Matt never even got it or maybe WWC never even got it either and cracked it?

Its commendable to stand up for your friends but revisionist history aint helping (thumbs u

Here's the simple truth for you again.

• I do not have the book.
  • Ritter Does not have the book.
  • Nelson does not have the book.
  • No one knows where the book went.
  • The book has never shown up for sale in its original slab.
  • Ritter thought he cracked the slab.
  • Nelson says he didn't think he ever saw it.
  • The book has never shown up for sale in a new slab.
  • Matt Nelson isn't to blame, he may have never seen the book at all.
  • I went through through all my boxes of slabs, 5000 books in total, twice looking for the book.
  • Ritter went through all the slabs he got from me - nearly a thousand - looking for the book.
  • Matt Nelson went through his shop looking for the book and couldn't find it.
  • At some point, it became apparent that none of us had the book.
  • You weren't satisfied that we had done enough when each of us knew we had no place else to look.
  • Of all of us, Matt is the one who doesn't think he ever saw the book. Either Matt, a guy who deals with books worth six figures on a regular basis, is a stinking liar who was out to enrich his wallet with a $160 comic book he wanted to steal from you or he never really saw the book.
  • The only person I am confident ever had the book was me.
  • Life is short. Obsessing over some perceived conspiracy to prevent you from having another comic book is just ridiculous. Get over it. It was a mistake on my part, nothing else. I'm not perfect but having a mistake drawn out for years and continually rehashed as some sort of character flaw for me, Ritter and Nelson borders on lunacy.

If you had been understanding about my error, I had long planned to buy the next pedigree copy of the book I saw and give it to you. But now I think you just need to shut up and move on.

The buyer's premium is factored into the cost of the comic (if you choose to do the math). Ultimately, the books cost about the same over all as buying them from anyone else.

My point was there is an additional margin added to the cost of the item that goes to the auction house. Perhaps you are correct that it still comes out the same as anywhere else but every item I was interested in, I found I could always source somewhere else for less.

I can appreciate like anyone else reading this thread that you made a mistake and are publicly owning up to it. You're the bigger person for owning the responsibility.

But I think that's where it should come full stop, and where you should recognize its pretty crass of you to suggest moving on when an item not belonging to you got lost.

My point was there is an additional margin added to the cost of the item that goes to the auction house. Perhaps you are correct that it still comes out the same as anywhere else but every item I was interested in, I found I could always source somewhere else for less.

Auctions can always be hit and miss. My point was simply that if you're bidding on Heritage, just build the premium into your final price (Heritage does it for you with their software).

If you can buy it for less, more power to you.

(thumbs u

I wish you guys would just make a "WW Comics lost my book" thread.

Because after reading Brian's well thought out OP, I admit to being chagrined that it morphed into this.

While Brian's Dealer Rankings may or may not be gospel to everyone that read it. The fact that he thought it through, and put pen to paper astounds me.

And even though I have not really bought, or sold a book in years doesn't not matter.

I read it all the same, with keen interest.

Thanks to Brian for the list.

The fact that he thought it through, and put pen to paper astounds me.

The fact that someone thought something through in General before typing it is what's astounding.

lol

]I wish you guys would just make a "WW Comics lost my book" thread.

Because after reading Brian's well thought out OP, I admit to being chagrined that it morphed into this.[/b]

While Brian's Dealer Rankings may or may not be gospel to everyone that read it. The fact that he thought it through, and put pen to paper astounds me.

And even though I have not really bought, or sold a book in years doesn't not matter.

+1

Bob may not want to comment due to conflict of interest but i will on his behalf as he is as good as they come. He is the exact opposite of every stereotype comic shop dealer. Absolutely PERFECT customer service in every way! You cant possibly go wrong EVER buying from him! (thumbs u

4 of the top 10 surprisingly i guess ive never even done business with. Of the 6 i have done business with, i'd give A+++'s to Clink, Commicconnect, Heritage, Highgradecomics and Mycomicshop. All 5 of them have gone above and beyond helping me out with books i want and need and I would NEVER hesitate to give my money to them.

The 6th is Worldwide comics. I wont rehash the same old thing like in last years thread as i've somewhat gotten over what happened. I will say that Ritter did try to help resolve the problem and was at least courteous and responded to my emails and addressed my concerns over what happened. Because of Ritters more than courteous replies, i will still give them my business.

Matt Nelson on the other hand, i have NOTHING whatsoever positive to say about. To this day(well over a year later!) i still have never received a response to the numerous emails i sent him about my problem with him. The closest i ever got was a condescending post on here to the affect that i didnt send enough emails. I know plenty of people love him but to me he is the definition of whats wrong with this hobby. The day Ritter severs ties with him is the day he will get 10 times as much business from me (thumbs u

Jason, seriously. It was my fault. I made the error. I refunded your money. Hammering on Matt Nelson is ridiculous. I don't even know if he ever saw the book. Maybe I sent it to a different person and that person never let me know. Maybe I sold it previously and didn't realize it and relisted it. What ever happened, though, so much anger and drama targeted at the wrong person isn't appropriate. I apologized in this forum previously and you sent me a PM saying you had been out of line and apologized back. Maybe it is time for you to take a step back, do a little fact checking, and put this back into perspective. If you want to place me as your most hated dealer, I'm okay with that.

Wow! I guess Sufunk owes Matt a apology.

Well, those are nice stories but i have no idea where they came from. Sorry but thats just Jeff covering for a buddy in Matt. From day one, actually day two after i received the box with the missing book not present, the story i was ALWAYS given was that the book WAS received by WW, cracked out by Ritter because it had 9.8 potential and then sent to Matt to try and press up to a 9.8. I was just supposed to wait a few months for it to come back from CGC and all would be good.

Thats a HELL of a lot to just make up out of nowhere if you maybe didnt even own the book at the time Jeff! It was VERY clear what happened to the book at the time it happened and where it was. After almost 2 years, now the story is changing and maybe Jeff didnt even own it or maybe Matt never even got it or maybe WWC never even got it either and cracked it?

Its commendable to stand up for your friends but revisionist history aint helping (thumbs u

Reread those old post, nothing has changed.

I can appreciate like anyone else reading this thread that you made a mistake and are publicly owning up to it. You're the bigger person for owning the responsibility.

But I think that's where it should come full stop, and where you should recognize its pretty crass of you to suggest moving on when an item not belonging to you got lost.

Just in case this was missed, I gave him his money back. In fact I repeatedly told him To just take refund. So really, it was my book and my loss. Why you think I am being crass for believing it doesn't need to be dredged up and dropped on Matt Nelson every time Worldwide's name comes up is, well, crass.

Edit: oh, and BTW, you are still mostly a stirrer so bugger off and cause trouble somewhere else.

]I wish you guys would just make a "WW Comics lost my book" thread.

Because after reading Brian's well thought out OP, I admit to being chagrined that it morphed into this.[/b]

+1

+2

Just in case this was missed, I gave him his money back. In fact I repeatedly told him To just take refund. So really, it was my book and my loss. Why you think I am being crass for believing it doesn't need to be dredged up and dropped on Matt Nelson every time Worldwide's name comes up is, well, crass.

Edit: oh, and BTW, you are still mostly a stirrer so bugger off and cause trouble somewhere else.

Really, and this is how you deal with customer complaints? You tell them to shut up and move on when their belongings are lost? As for your mess stirring comment, you seemed to have been doing it all on your own with your manner and tone, well before my reply appeared.

I had a book damaged and even though I received a refund, it was just for the pressing cost and it wouldn't even cover the shipping of that comic. When I found someone with a comparable (lesser grade than I was expecting) book on these boards, he was asking $1600 if I recall correctly. I still haven't replaced it and the parties involved have never explained how it happened and have washed their hands of it.

If I've ever drudged it up on these boards its because I think sending a book in for pressing carries a risk of zero accountability, it isn't always the win-win its made out to be, and new entrants or people thinking about doing it for the first time should be made aware. I read sufunks posts mostly as a rant, but it also speaks on the service aspects of a ranked dealer. I still think you should keep mindful that telling him to suck it up makes you look like an insensitive individual, and while the refund was a gesture to make amends, I can also appreciate that it can never replace the sentimentality of the item. IMHO raising the issue has some merit especially if it remains uknown what happened and others have concerns regarding the communication and handling of their items in the future.

Really, and this is how you deal with customer complaints? You tell them to shut up and move on when their belongings are lost? As for your mess stirring comment, you seem to be doing it on your own with your tone and manner, well before my reply appeared.

I had a book damaged and even though the I received a refund, it was just for the pressing cost and it wouldn't even cover the shipping of that comic. When I found someone with a comparable (lesser grade than I was expecting) book on these boards, he was asking $1600 if I recall correctly. I still haven't replaced it and the parties involved have never explained how it happened and have washed their hands of it.

If I've ever drudged it up on these boards its because I think sending a book in for pressing carries a risk of zero accountability, it isn't always the win-win its made out to be, and new entrants or people thinking about doing it for the first time should be made aware. I read sufunks posts mostly as a rant, but it also speaks on the service aspects of a ranked dealer. I still think you should keep mindful that telling him to suck it up makes you look like an insensitive individual, and while the refund was a gesture to make ammends, raising the issue has some merit especially if it remains uknown what happened and others have concerns regarding the handling of their items in the future.

Cheetah gave Sufunk a refund over a year ago and made a public apology, how is this bad customer service?

Really, and this is how you deal with customer complaints? You tell them to shut up and move on when their belongings are lost? As for your mess stirring comment, you seem to be doing it on your own with your tone and manner, well before my reply appeared.

I had a book damaged and even though the I received a refund, it was just for the pressing cost and it wouldn't even cover the shipping of that comic. When I found someone with a comparable (lesser grade than I was expecting) book on these boards, he was asking $1600 if I recall correctly. I still haven't replaced it and the parties involved have never explained how it happened and have washed their hands of it.

If I've ever drudged it up on these boards its because I think sending a book in for pressing carries a risk of zero accountability, it isn't always the win-win its made out to be, and new entrants or people thinking about doing it for the first time should be made aware. I read sufunks posts mostly as a rant, but it also speaks on the service aspects of a ranked dealer. I still think you should keep mindful that telling him to suck it up makes you look like an insensitive individual, and while the refund was a gesture to make ammends, raising the issue has some merit especially if it remains uknown what happened and others have concerns regarding the handling of their items in the future.

Cheetah gave Sufunk a refund over a year ago and made a public apology, how is this bad customer service?

Maybe because the act of refunding appears shallow, especially when he comes on here and tells the guy to shut up and move on. I also saw sufunk directing most of the blame on Matt, and aside from the mishandling of his comic, if the communication was as bad as sufunk alleges, then there's merit in rehashing it in the dealer ranking thread. 2c

Maybe because the act of refunding appears shallow, especially when he comes on here and tells the guy to shut up and move on. I also saw sufunk directing most of the blame on Matt, and aside from the mishandling of his comic, if the communication was as bad as sufunk alleges, then there's merit in rehashing it in the dealer ranking thread. 2c

IMO Cheetah did everything he could, he also told him to move on about his hate towards Matt. What was Cheetah supposed to do besides giving him a refund? What more could he do? Steve and Matt might not of even seen the book.