• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Rankings 2012

369 posts in this topic

Foolkiller's 2012 Dealer Rankings

Each year, I go through the dealers and rank out where I believe they fall given the past year's activity. While there is some fluctuation from year to year, generally the list sees similar names, mostly because the best dealers maintain their strengths and weaknesses.

Let me also put this disclaimer out there: This is only my opinion. To preempt dealers from getting upset or collectors telling me that Metropolis blows, I understand your points. I truly do. And in many cases, they are legitimate. For me, this is just a talking point. It certainly isn't bible truth or anything of the sort. I also understand that my experience may not be yours in the sense that I definitely am privileged to have access and the attention that not everyone has, and in part I recognize that's because I spend a fair amount of money each year.

With that said, I know the #1 thing that concerns most people here on the boards is integrity. Please know that I'm not sure how exactly everyone is defining integrity but this is an important and serious factor to me. It is not, however, the only factor in the ranking.

However... you will notice a shakeup in this year's rankings based on a number of factors that I've seen and discussed with a number of folks. I liked last year's format, so I've kept it.

I didn't base it on "who do I like the best" but rather a number of factors (none of which are ranked in a particular order):

1) Competitive pricing

2) Accurate grading

3) Breadth of Inventory

4) Activity in the Marketplace

5) Quality of the website

6) Customer Service

7) Integrity

8) Convention Presence

9) Acquisition of New Material (freshness of inventory)

10) Impact on the Market

Here's a list of all of the different dealers that were considered (sure I missed some). Generally, I did not consider store owners unless they carried a very extensive vintage comics selection:

Harley Yee (Harley Yee Rare Comics)

Dave Kapelka (North Coast Nostalgia)

Richard Evans (Bedrock City)

Ben Lichtenstein (Zapp Comics)

Want List Comics

Steve Sibra

Eric Groves

Gary Calabouno (Moondog)

Dan Cusimano (Flying Donut Trading Company)

Bob Storms (Highgradecomics)

Greg Reece (Greg Reece's Rare Comics)

Metropolis (Steve Fishler and Vincent Zurzolo)

Heritage (Barry Sandoval, Lon Allen, Ed Jaster and Steve Borock)

Worldwide (Steve Ritter and Matt Nelson)

Comiclink (Josh Nathanson)

Superworld (Ted VanLiew)

Al Stoltz (Basement Comics)

Dave Reynolds (Dave's American Comics)

Dale Roberts (Dale Robert's Comics)

Jamie Graham (Graham Crackers)

Brian Peets (A-1 Comics)

Crazy Ed's

Pristine Comics

Jeff Delaney (Detective27.com)

Jamie Newbold (SoCal Comics)

Mark Wilson (PGC Mint)

Tom Brulato

Jeff Weaver (Victory Comics)

Mark Zaid (Esquirecomics)

Big Ben's

Marc Nathan (Cards, Comics and Collectibles)

Alan Bahr (Heroes)

Phil Schlaefer (Comic Collector Shop)

Neat Stuff Collectibles (Brian Schutzer)

Tomorrow's Treasures (Richie Muchin)

Jim Payette (Jim Payette's Rare Books and Comics)

Shelton Drum (Heroes Aren't Hard to Find)

Chris Foss (Heroes and Dragons)

Gary Platt (Adventure Planet)

Paradise Comics (Peter Dixon)

Vintage Comics (Roy Delic)

Comicana Direct (Nick Beckett)

Terry O'Neill (Terry's Comics)

All Select Comics (Mike Miles)

Bob Beerbohm

Greg White

Gerry Ross (One Million Comics)

Doug Sulipa (Doug's Comic World)

Robert Rogovin (Four Color Comics)

Greg Eide (Eide's Entertainment)

Marnin Rosenberg (Collector's Assemble)

Ron Pusell (Redbeard's Book Den)

Mile High Comics (Chuck Rozanski)

Lone Star Comics (Buddy Saunders)

Jef Hinds

Tony Starks (Comics in a Flash)

Steve Lauterbach (toychef on ebay)

Andrew Critella (GA Collectibles)

Dennis Keum (Fantasy Comics)

Bill Hughes

Crazy Ed

Andy Coleman

Rob Hughes (Archangels)

J & S Comics

Doug Schmell (Pedigreecomics)

Comickeys (Danny Dupcak)

Brent Moeshlin (Quality Comix)

House of Comics

John Hauser

David T. Alexander (DTA Collectibles)

Motor City Comics (Mike Goldman)

Gary Dolgoff (Gary Dolgoff's Comics)

Tom Gordon

Joe Koch (Koch Comics)

John Haines (John Haines Rare Comics)

Silver Age Comics (Gus Poulakas)

John Veryzl (Comic Heaven)

Steve Geppi (Diamond International Galleries)

Joe Verenault (JHV Associates)

Bechara Maalouf (Investment Collectibles)

Phil Bellmore (Vermont Comics)

Bill Ponseti

David Anderson (the Dentist, collector)

Dan Greenhalgh (Showcase New England)

Ed Robertson (Ed Robertson's Comics)

Rick Whitelock (New Force Comics)

The Bookery (Fairborn, Ohio)

Nelson Dodds

Sparkle City (Brian Schutzer)

Hon. mentions to the following dealers:

Hon. mentions: Dale Roberts, Doug Sulipa, Brian Peets, Jim Payette, Greg Eide, Greg Reece, Rick Whitelock, Adam Perlman, Roy Delic, Ted VanLiew, Al Stoltz, Marc Nathan, Harley Yee, Comicana Direct and Dave Reynolds

In my next post, we'll discuss dealers ranking #s 6 through #10

Number 10: Richard Evans, Owner, Bedrock City – Houston, TX

Pros: Richard Evans makes the list for several reasons, but primarily because he is a force in the comic world on several levels. He’s a successful store owner and the dominant retailer force with multiple stores in one of the largest cities in the nation, Houston. He’s a presence on the national convention scene with a strong inventory of gold, silver, and bronze. In addition, Richard is also in tune with the market particularly because he’s still an active collector who is buying some of the most significant books out there. Richard makes it a priority to treat his customers fairly. He’s an accurate grader and prices fairly. His website has also been expanded, updated and improved. In terms of modeling for other dealers, I think Richard is definitely an example of success and integrity that many others can look to.

Cons: The primary criticism I’d have is two fold. First, the Bedrock inventory is strong, but not terribly deep. It’s not as expansive as many others on the list and there aren’t any big collections that Rich has been responsible for bringing to market. Many of the books are handfuls and chunks, but there has never been a “big” collection that’s come out via Bedrock that I can remember. Second, Richard doesn’t have a huge presence on the convention circuit, often, as I perceive it, because of his obligations to the store. While he certainly attends, many times he’s set up in conjunction with others and that lessens the impact that he has in comparison to others on this list.

Bottom line: Richard runs one of the finest stores in the country and is one of the most significant collector/dealers in the nation.

Number 9: Joe Verenault, Owner JHV Associates, Woodbury, NJ

Pros: As I have said many times, if there were a dealer college, Joe Verenault should be the dean. Along with Jim Payette, Joe is the standard for ethics in comics to me, and the person that all others ought to look to when conducting business. On top of that, Joe has a long history of experience at the top of the hobby. Joe continues to bring new collections of high grade to market, obtain big books, and maintain a presence on the show circuit, though that has certainly been reduced. I also think Joe has a good model for books that are either less popular or not in the wheelhouse for what he deals in but separating books into buckets with $1, $3, $5, and $7 categories that are only brought to certain shows. Sure, there are $20 or $25 books in there, but the labor savings and the deals that are obtainable make searching for many collectors fun. More importantly, I think it’s an easier way to move inventory and demonstrates another of Joe’s strengths as a dealer.

Cons: No website. While Joe does operate an ebay store under JHV Associates, it really only houses about 100 CGC books and doesn’t show a good deal of his inventory. Joe’s overall inventory is very good and so is his wall inventory, but for a major dealer, the CGC inventory isn’t all that deep. Frankly though, the quality (or lack of) a website, or an extremely strong ebay presence, can have a real impact on where the ranking falls. Having a functioning, strong presence on the internet is the way a good deal of business is transacted, and that has to be considered in the overall computation of the ranking.

Bottom Line: Joe is an incredibly strong guy and even more important, a quality human being. I wish I could say that was common in the comic book world, but it’s not.

Number 8: David Kapelka, North Coast Nostalgia -- Parma, Ohio

Pros: One of the remaining “dealers’ dealer” out there, Dave has been able to consistently turn up some of the largest and best collections out there year after year. He has brought to market some incredibly high grade collections and offers the bulk of them raw while slabbing a small percentage. Dave is easy to work with, friendly, and fair on all of his pricing. One thing I’ve also learned from being around Dave more is that he’s a savvy businessman and operates his business as such. Still, again this year, Dave brought a major DC collection to market and will have another collection later this year to debut.

Cons: For whatever reason, Dave does not have as much success with the public. I’m not sure why this is, except that people perceive that his best stuff is already sold so why buy the rest. I have bought successfully from Dave’s leftovers both as a collector and for flipping for several years. There are always deals to be had there. As a collector though, there are outstanding books that remain because they aren’t “money makers” and thus they sit. With that said, I understand this is a weakness and has to be addressed as such in this kind of a ranking.

Bottom line: One of the nicest guys out there to deal with along with incredible finds earns Dave an easy spot on this list.

Number 7: Bob Storms, Owner: Highgradecomics.com – Commack, NY

Pros: Before someone points out the bias in this opinion, yes, I am good friends with Bob and can be seen hanging out with him often at shows. Yes, I do deals with Bob. Is it possible that my objectivity is compromised? I suppose that’s a possibility. However, I believe Bob remains one of the best businessmen in comics and one of the smartest dealers in the country. He has a tremendous Marvel inventory with some of the best books out there. Consistently at shows, I would argue his set up and display for silver age is second only if Metropolis shows up. The pricing is competitive and the website is first rate with one of the best out there. Bob is also one of the best raw graders and has some of the highest integrity of any comic dealers out there. While I wouldn’t make him the dean of “comic dealer college” – he’d make too many potential students cry – I would say he has a lot to teach a number of folks.

Cons: I generally point out a couple of things, but the lack of a strong DC key inventory – as well as a lack of depth in DCs generally, as well as a lack of Golden Age, hurts Bob’s overall ranking. There are also little tweaks such as the fact that the scans can be a little dark and unclear on the website that I could mention as well. Also, while Bob is professional, nobody will ever accuse him of being ‘warm and fuzzy’ and that’s a characteristic that many buyers want out of their comic dealer. Quite honestly, it all comes down to inventory right now and with the lack of any Golden Age, it’s an impediment to climbing the rankings further.

Bottom line: As I said last year, my dealer of choice. If I can buy the book from Bob, I will.

Number 6: Lone Star Comics/mycomicshop.com, Buddy Saunders – Arlington, TX

Pros: Of the monolithic dealers out there with aggressive buying, deep inventories and broad based appeal in a variety of areas, not just vintage, Lone Star has managed to separate themselves very clearly from other bulk dealers. First, they pay strong for their books. Second, they are generally very good at resolving issues and grading/pricing books accurately. Third, their auction format opens a window to higher end books. Fourth, they rely on a much more appealing sales structure than their primary competitor, Milehighcomics.com. In fact, the differences between Lone Star and Mile High are so pronounced, it’s striking how much better Lone Star operates. The auction format is strong and some very strong prices are achieved on there as well.

Cons: Their own inventory of vintage – not in the auction format – is fairly weak, and they have no real presence at conventions which is a hindrance to them climbing higher on the scale. Their grading, while good, is not great. The examples I’ve seen from them certainly indicate that while their vintage grading is a bit tighter, the “bucket” type grading they recently described really leaves a bit to be desired. Still, for the massive quantity they deal in, this kind of grading probably becomes a necessity and is generally vastly superior to places like newkadia and milehighcomics.

Bottom line: An emerging force in the internet market, and the top player of the larger bulk dealers who are bleeding into the vintage market.

Number 5: Comiclink, Josh Nathanson – Portland, ME

Pros: Comiclink is still the go to site for many consignors and people searching for high grade gold, silver and bronze. Generally speaking, it attracts a tremendous amount of top notch quality material and the auctions are filled with keys. Comiclink also achieves strong prices in the marketplace and is viewed as a leader in the auction/consignment realm. They’re also one of the best managed sites. For many years, I think Comiclink was far and away the best site to sell Silver Age materials and remain one of the top options today, if not still the top option for many collectors. Josh’s staff is also strong as the buying is primarily done by Doug Gillock, an extremely knowledgeable and aggressive buyer. All in all, Comiclink carries some of the best material and is still considered an “IT” spot to buy and sell. They are one of the most important forces in the marketplace today and don’t look to be going anywhere.

Cons: They’ve become stagnant. There’s been a tremendous lack of creativity and innovation in an era where competitors have entered the market and no doubt sliced into their share. Comic Connect and Sparkle City have both gained ground this year and have obtained some fantastic material. The website is dated and there’s no signs of any changes any time soon. There’s been no premier collection auctioned since the Rocky Mountains. When others are challenging the spot at the top, more needs to be done if you want to stay there. The brand name is still extremely powerful and the achievement of what’s been built is amazing. But to stay on top, you can’t rest on your laurels.

Bottom line: While still a top auction site for many and one of the premier places on the internet to locate top quality material, new innovation and marketing needs to continue.

Number 4: Sparkle City Comics, Brian Schutzer – Ebay/Northern New Jersey (Base of Operations)

Pros: Brian Schutzer has done some truly innovative things that I think a lot of people might have second guessed early on. Specifically, resurrecting the trade name that was once the 800 lb gorilla of the comic world and utilizing it for another company’s name dealing in the same product. There aren’t all good memories associated with ‘Sparkle City’ but Schutzer has made it work. More importantly, he’s been an innovator. Partnerships with Morphy’s auctions and Ebay’s ‘summer of comics’ are brilliant steps forward with major names that no one else is doing, but are simple concepts to implement. And it’s paid off as the proof is in the pudding. With several major consignments and books coming in from all parts of the country and the world, Schutzer has been a buying machine with several high grade golden age and silver age collections. In this uber competitive landscape, Sparkle City has become a player in a very short time and the prices achieved are in many cases, record breaking.

Cons: No convention presence or barely any. While the internet is clearly Sparkle City’s focus, I think it’s a mistake to basically be non-existent on the convention scene as there are clearly people who may not know of Sparkle City because they don’t utilize the technology. Plus, it lessens the ability to get consignments and I think it really hurts your presence as a “comic auctioneer/dealer”. In addition, I think people want to get to know who they are consigning books to. While certainly there may be a face to face work up once contact is made, the very decision of where to consign your books is partially based on results, and partially based on the trust of the person you’re consigning to.

Bottom line: An emerging force in the comic world with an innovative aggressive mind driving the ship.

Number 3: Worldwide Comics, Steve Ritter and Matt Nelson – San Antonio, TX

Pros: With one of the deepest and most impressive CGC and raw inventories spanning all eras, Worldwide Comics is absolutely one of the most impressive dealers in the country. The pricing and grading accuracy are second to none. Steve Ritter remains one of the easiest dealers to work with deep inventory in ALL eras, including moderns, which is something that nobody else on this list can claim except Lone Star. The quality and selection of slabs, raw, keys etc., is truly mind blowing. New inventory is listed almost daily. The scans are of superior quality. The grading is incredibly accurate. The service, packaging and speed of service are tremendous. All around, Worldwide Comics is one of the truly great dealers in the country.

Cons: Setting up at fewer shows, a small lack of keys for such an impressive inventory, and some questions about integrity from a shilling incident where one of the co-owners was at least on notice keeps the ranking from going higher. While I’d love to ignore the shilling incident, it’s obviously a serious breech of integrity. With that said, the response was at least plausible and while I feel that something more could have been done, the situation is what it is. Also, there was certainly a contraction of their presence at major shows, including that there is a limited set up in Chicago this year of their inventory. I feel that there’s been a reduced presence of keys in their inventory – and even in Chicago of top tier level books.

Bottom line: One of the deepest inventories in the business with the best raw grading out there.

Number 2: Metropolis Comics/Comic Connect: Stephen Fishler/Vincent Zurzolo – New York, NY

Pros: The largest dealer in the world with one of the top auction sites, Metropolis is one of the best and most impressive comic dealers. After holding the #1 position two years in a row, Metropolis has slipped not because of their own conduct but rather the superior positioning of another dealer. With that said, the breadth and quality of inventory along with a stunning array of consignments for their auction sites keeps Metropolis near the very top of the industry. Still aggressive in both marketing and advertising, Metropolis maintains its place as one of the most prominent places to buy and sell Gold, Silver and Bronze age books. It also is the spot to sell the highest end key books including Action 1 and Detective 27. Metropolis is run smoothly and efficiently and is one of the few comic dealers to have a “corporate feel” in their professionalism and operations. Still the 800 lb gorilla of the comic world, Fishler and Zurzolo have, for more than a decade, kept Metropolis at the top end of comic deals, comic art and promoted the importance and significance of vintage comics in a variety of outlets. Their efforts should be applauded and their importance to the hobby is second to none.

Cons: Inaccurate grading at times, marginalization of the ‘little guy’ and questionable ethics and tactics are all the criticisms that have reared their heads amongst a cadre of critics. While it is not my personal experience with them, it is impossible to ignore when it is not a lone voice leveling these charges but several respected voices who have made these statements over time. This is not confined to belly aching on the boards, but rather a multitude of inter actions with long time collectors and fellow dealers. While most are positive on the Metropolis brand and experience, there is no denying that each of the above colors some folks opinions on Metropolis, and like the shilling incident with World Wide, must be discussed in the general information and consideration of the ranking.

Bottom line: Still one of the very best at what they do and one of the leaders in vintage comics. Of the traditional dealers, still the top of the heap and some of the hardest working folks out there.

Number 1: Heritage Auctions, Barry Sandoval, Ed Jaster, Steve Borock, etc. – Dallas, TX (and elsewhere)

Pros: Over the course of the past year, no single dealer or auction house has ever achieved in the history of comic selling what Heritage has. Not the Mile High collection, not Pac Coast or bringing any ped to market etc. Heritage has brought us the Billy Wrights, the Twin Cities, and a host of remarkable original art. In almost all cases, done so at record breaking prices. They are truly the talk of the hobby with stratospheric prices on many keys which seem mind boggling to achieve. Their presence is so powerful that the person with the second best known Marvel collection chose Heritage Auctions instead of his own auction website to sell his collection. Even when it’s not a name collection or a pedigree, Heritage’s marketing, catalog and process is second to none. In the past, the primary place to go to for Golden Age, that’s expanded as the primary place to go for any era of book outside of moderns which they don’t focus on. In addition, Heritage sells comic art and is one of the premier dealers in the country for art as well.

The staff at Heritage is second to none. Professional, courteous and responsive, Heritage is run with the right kind of corporate smoothness without burying smaller bidders. Steve Borock has been a tremendous acquisition for them and Ed Jaster’s leadership has vaulted Heritage to the undisputed kings of comic sales in terms of inventory. The breadth, quality, and record prices are breath taking and Heritage remains truly the best of the best.

Cons: As with the others on this list, I’d be remiss not to mention NP Gresham and the shilling incident (though it’s legal in Texas) or the issues with the buyer’s premium potentially reducing the realized amount for the consignors. That said, I really think these are minor issues and don’t do much to change the overwhelming positive impression I have about Heritage and the incredible things they have accomplished this past year in what they have brought to the hobby. If you reflect back on their auctions this year, the amounts realized, the quality of the material and the way it was rolled out, it’s hard to imagine a better year for a comic dealer.

Bottom line: A mind blowingly amazing year handled with total professionalism and a marketing machine second to none.

the suspense, who will wear the crown?

Harley Yee

I stand corrected :sorry:

Very informative thread BK. Thanks for posting. I've only dealt with a few of them so it's a great resource for someone like me :applause: