• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead #1 Slight Cover Difference

76 posts in this topic

I have two copies of The Walking Dead #1. The covers of each look exactly the same with the exception of the "Mature Readers" text (under the issue number) - one has the text in black, the other has the text in white.

Has anyone else seen this?

Does anyone know why there is a difference?

Thanks!

Scans:

wd1-blk.jpg

wd1-wht.jpg

Unless that text is in blue it is a fake. Sorry for the bad news. I can PM you an address though for those to be sent to for proper disposal.

This question gets ask what once a month on the modern subforum? If only say there was a search feature on this site. Or say a search engine to look up such a question. Maybe name it Google or Yahoo.

:insane:

:ohnoez:

Above answer though is correct. Both are first prints, color just changed at some point on the press. Neither is worth more than the other at this time.

It was originally supposed to be white over black (basically, as the white letters appear). The printer goofed, and the first books off the press have black letters. It was then fixed.

CGC makes no distinction (yet), but anyone who pays attention to the eBay listings can tell that there are far fewer black letters out there than white letters. And, as already mentioned, they were printed first. It looks like there are at least 2x - 3x as many white letters out there. So...while there may not currently be a price difference, I'll always take black over white. I recently sold a white letters #1 just to fund the purchase of a black letters #1 (same grade). I'll swap all day long, so...if anyone has any black CGC 9.8's that they'd like to swap for white, please let me know. ;-)

If you ask 10 people, you'll get 10 different answers.

The simplest answer is that you don't need 2 copies of #1. Pick the one you like the best and please give me the other one.

I was the first to answer the question so I deserve some type of reward. :whee:

If you ask 10 people, you'll get 10 different answers.

The simplest answer is that you don't need 2 copies of #1. Pick the one you like the best and please give me the other one.

I was the first to answer the question so I deserve some type of reward. :whee:

That sound logical to me (thumbs u

Here is the answer that explains it nicely. I've actually saved this post on my computer, so I can just paste it whenever the question comes up. (thumbs u

I spoke to Kirkman directly, so that's my source. ;)

It was always suppose to be a white warning with a black outline.

When they went to print there was a mistake with the printer and instead of printing the black 1st and then the white overtop the process was backwards. So the white went 1st and then the black completely covered the white lettering.

So the black version was printed 1st.

During the printing process the mistake was realized and they stopped printing and fixed it. Kirkman wanted the white version because he thinks it's cooler looking.

Since it happened this way, the black copies were shipped together to stores and likewise for the whites. So no one knew in the early days there were 2 variants. Since all the books at the LCS would have been the same in your area. With no knowledge there were variants + the indicas inside the books being the same they were graded by CGC without distinction from the start. It doesn't make sense for them to try and change it now. 2c

There have been estimates about how many of each there are but the truth is no one knows for sure. Kirkman has said he believes there are less of the white version but eBay listings consistently point the other way.

Bottom line. No one knows which is more rare, and therefore neither gets the price bump in demand. Don't pay more for either copy. Just be glad to own a WD #1.

People on here joke all the time with each other about it. The Black owners say they have the 1st print and the white is a reprint. lol While White owners say they have the rare copy cause Kirkman said so. :sumo:

Total print run was 7,266. Source: http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2003/2003-10.html

Also the print run was 7,266 total.

No one ever counted how many blacks were printed before they switched to the white.

So everytime you hear someone say there were 3000 black and 7000 whites, or 3000 blacks and 4000 whites they are talking out of their asssses or just spreading a rumor they heard. There is NO confirmation of how many of each there are, and there never will be.

Unless that text is in blue it is a fake. Sorry for the bad news. I can PM you an address though for those to be sent to for proper disposal.

This question gets ask what once a month on the modern subforum? If only say there was a search feature on this site. Or say a search engine to look up such a question. Maybe name it Google or Yahoo.

:insane:

:ohnoez:

Above answer though is correct. Both are first prints, color just changed at some point on the press. Neither is worth more than the other at this time.

Not to get too technical on you or anything, but if the first books off the press were one color, and later books off the press were another, then technically the first books are the "first" prints. I can think of at least one prose book (I know, apples/oranges) that used different color end boards during the print run, and the first color commands higher prices because of that technicality.

Whether people care about that or not is a different matter.