• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walking Dead #1 Slight Cover Difference

76 posts in this topic

Unless that text is in blue it is a fake. Sorry for the bad news. I can PM you an address though for those to be sent to for proper disposal.

This question gets ask what once a month on the modern subforum? If only say there was a search feature on this site. Or say a search engine to look up such a question. Maybe name it Google or Yahoo.

:insane:

:ohnoez:

Above answer though is correct. Both are first prints, color just changed at some point on the press. Neither is worth more than the other at this time.

Not to get too technical on you or anything, but if the first books off the press were one color, and later books off the press were another, then technically the first books are the first prints. I can think of at least one prose book (I know, apples/oranges) that used different color end boards during the print run, and the first color commands higher prices because of that technicality.

Whether people care about that or not is a different matter.

Interesting.

While we've discussed the WD differences here for awhile, it certainly isn't common knowledge yet with the masses. (As evidenced by the question popping up all the time.)

Who knows, maybe there hasn't been a price difference yet, because new collectors don't know.

Unless that text is in blue it is a fake. Sorry for the bad news. I can PM you an address though for those to be sent to for proper disposal.

This question gets ask what once a month on the modern subforum? If only say there was a search feature on this site. Or say a search engine to look up such a question. Maybe name it Google or Yahoo.

Above answer though is correct. Both are first prints, color just changed at some point on the press. Neither is worth more than the other at this time.

Not to get too technical on you or anything, but if the first books off the press were one color, and later books off the press were another, then technically the first books are the "first" prints. I can think of at least one prose book (I know, apples/oranges) that used different color end boards during the print run, and the first color commands higher prices because of that technicality.

I disagree. I understand your logic but would not use the terms 1st and 2nd print. You could use the term error on the black if you like since it was unintentional but it is not the 1st print.

Not to get too technical on you or anything, but if the first books off the press were one color, and later books off the press were another, then technically the first books are the "first" prints. I can think of at least one prose book (I know, apples/oranges) that used different color end boards during the print run, and the first color commands higher prices because of that technicality.

I disagree. I understand your logic but would not use the terms 1st and 2nd print. You could use the term error on the black if you like since it was unintentional but it is not the 1st print.

No, you're right. They're both first prints, assuming it's the same print run. All I'm saying is that, technically, if one came off the press first, then that's the first of the first prints. And to some collectors (a rare few, probably), then it would command higher values.

Heck, if it were made public and enough people caught wind of it and ran up the price on a few copies, then suddenly it'd be the version to own.

Then again, comic collectors are weird that way, when second prints garner higher prices because there was a smaller print run.

Makes me wonder...if there was a way to purchase the very first book off the press, would there be a market out there for that one book? Would someone pay more money to own the very first copy?

I'll bet there would be a market for the first copy off the press

No, you're right. They're both first prints, assuming it's the same print run. All I'm saying is that, technically, if one came off the press first, then that's the first of the first prints. And to some collectors (a rare few, probably), then it would command higher values.

But what if it not only came off the press first, but also accounted for a much smaller portion of the print run...? There may not be any concrete numbers out there, but anyone that starts looking for the black letters will quickly realize that they are much harder to come by. Just sayin'. ;-)

But what if it not only came off the press first, but also accounted for a much smaller portion of the print run...? There may not be any concrete numbers out there, but anyone that starts looking for the black letters will quickly realize that they are much harder to come by. Just sayin'. ;-)

Wow... to take it to the next level, WHAT IF comic books started having SERIAL NUMBERS (printed on the bottom of the first page) like currency and boardies were falling all over themselves to get issue print #00001? How about them apples? hm

That'd be considered a manufactured collectible, which many boardies hate. Sports cards went that route, and over time, anything numbered over 100 was just as valueless as those unnumbered cards.

I agree, but that's were the conversation was headed with people wanting THE very first one.

The safest and smartest bet might be to own both if you could afford 'em, and let time dictate demand. It seems that The Walking Dead, after 100+ issues is not a flash in the pan series, so seems like worthwhile to hold onto. I remember when the cover price variants of some of the Marvel books were not even on the radar and noted back in the 70's and 80's.

I think the comic book has sustainable legs.

Hopefully the franchise is not handcuffed to the TV show, since all series (other than The Simpsons) seems to come to an eventual end, even the best of 'em.

I think The Walking Dead is they type of series where characters can come and go and if the writing remains solid, they can create reader loyalty through that development, so maybe Rick and Andrea end up having a baby, and then they get killed off, only to have Carl (and maybe he marries Sophia) become the new main character by Issue #200, so the storyline continues to be refreshed. I think the recent deaths of 2 main characters are proof it's a series that people enjoy reading to "expect the unexpected" which continues to keep them engaged.

I think The Walking Dead #1 is by far a better investment based on it being a #1 issue than let's say #19 or any other "1st Appearance" of a character or any manufactured collectible like the variant releases for Issue #100.

You know what I wish? I wish that AMC would give the explanation of the WD #1 color differences right after the 'for mature audiences' warning in the Season 3 debut, that should clear the waters......right? :shrug:

Jerome

It was even harder to find them before WD got hot.

I originally had a white version. Then back in 2008, I decided to buy the black one as well to have both. It took a month and a half for one to show up on eBay.

I even started a WTB thread back then, and people commented in the thread that it didn't exist. Some people thought I was talking about the Special Edition with the different cover. I remember asking EvilAsh to post a pic to show people here what I was talking about. lol