• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay feedback extortion

69 posts in this topic

Just got off the phone with ebay, heard some pretty exciting things for protecting sellers.

So if a buyer mentions leaving feedback in anyway through ebay messages, that is feedback extortion, and ebay will remove any feedback they leave if asked.

I goofed and left my automatic invoice system on, so when a buyer bought an item he chose $4 shipping instead of the advertised $10 shipping which was the only option I wrote in the listing. When I messaged him about this he told me he would leave feedback that I would not appreciate if I didn't ship the item.

The buyer has "private" feedback so I was trying to block all buyers like that because they are obviously scammers. Ebay says to wait for response but if he leaves negative feedback they will remove the feedback.

For once, I think ebay is implementing a good program.

So if I tell a seller I will leave feedback after I receive the item, it is feedback extortion?

This was the response to me saying he chose the wrong shipping option.

"2. I could leave feedback regarding this if you choose not to ship which wouldnt be a good thing."

I think its when a buyer suggests its there way or the negative feedback way, that its feedback extortion.

again, this buyer had "private feedback" setting. There is no way that people who use that option are not scammers.

I don't know, seems like a way shaddy sellers can bait their way out of bad feedback. I say just bring back buyers negative feedback. Makes things much more even.

Then you get retaliatory feedback that is not justified.

I left a bad seller negative feedback after having to open a case with Ebay just to get my money back from this d-bag. Because I said I would hold off on leaving feedback ( negative or positive ) until the case was resolved he was able to get it removed and I got warned for extortion :screwy:

I do not understand why some people "fear" the negative. If someone threatens you in anyway they are going to be a problem. Cancel the transaction and that is that.

Ask yourself two questions when you have a problem with someone.

Is this worth it?

Is this a fight you want to embrace?

I do not understand why some people "fear" the negative.

I agree. I've bought from people who have had negs in the past (not many, mind you) and when I read that a buyer got feedback stating: "GOTZ MY COMIC! AND DAMEGED! NO REFUND YOU GIVE $$$ NOW!!1!1!" I can fairly assume that the seller just got stuck having to sell his item to a complete plnhead.

I'm not afraid of the neg, and I still buy from people who got them. If things look on the up and up most of the time, I don't sweat it.

I do not understand why some people "fear" the negative. If someone threatens you in anyway they are going to be a problem. Cancel the transaction and that is that.

Is this worth it?

I don't fear the negative and I don't believe the customer is always right. My lone negative feedback was dealing with an incredibly rude buyer and even though I knew I would receive a neg, I told him to stuff it. Right is right, I'm not for sale and my momma didn't raise no sucka.

Is this worth it?

I don't fear the negative and I don't believe the customer is always right. My lone negative feedback was dealing with an incredibly rude buyer and even though I knew I would receive a neg, I told him to stuff it. Right is right, I'm not for sale and my momma didn't raise no sucka.

Including negatives left by sellers to me as a buyer (when they were allowed to do that) I have 14 negs out of over 3,000 transactions and by my estimate about many more thousands of items that have come and gone.

My personal favorite is the guy that lives a few towns away that I would not meet up with to hand deliver the item.

Another notable was from a Canadian who was annoyed to pay exact shipping because it was expensive on an item. No really I charged exact shipping. Perhaps it would have been better for him if I drove it up north.

As I was going through toolhaus I rediscovered this one.It was left by a buyer. I left him negative feedback in 2001. I will only deal with "the check is in the mail" for so long. Eventually as we approach 60 days I say to heck with it and left negative for the three winnings. He retaliated with a negative and that it was in the mail just sent out the other day. Even afterwards I never received the check that was supposedly in the mail.

i had an issue with a seller who WAAYYY overgraded a copy of Hulk #6, said it was a 3.5 in auction, but it was really like 1.5. anyway, when i was trying to resolve the issue with him (very politely and in a civil fashion) he kept bringing up that i was blackmailing him with negative feedback when i hadnt even mentioned feedback at all.

i wonder if bad sellers now will try to bait customers trying to resolve issues with this loophole.

i always feel like if i do leave negative feedback for a transaction i have a legitimate beef with, the seller will always post a rebuttal or get it removed from ebay. i find the only real reason to do it is to warn other customers, thats what i look for when i read negative feedback.

The toughest part of a seller I always thought is how to expose yourself to make a sale. Do you block the buyer that emails you asking specifically about each corner of a book because your scan doesnt look right to them or how exactly do you pack your comics even if it says it plaing in your TOS? Or will you not put down the value of the comic you are shipping overseas and mark as a gift? Or my personal favorite lately can you ship my high dollar comic overseas 1st class? All of the above open up a seller to exposure the question is how much does the seller take?

"the feedback I left for the other person that did this to me didn't have it removed ... send me the item at $4."

its a slab and he lives in the US I live in Canada. So I am cancelling the transaction as he is being a .