• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTF????

15 posts in this topic

From Heritage about 8 months back, I though it looked like a beauty.

Sad thing I dont recall this book having a detached lower staple before I submitted it mad.gifmad.gif

WTF.jpg

Sometimes the staple still sticks out from the "slit", even though the paper is cleanly torn. confused-smiley-013.gif
frown.gif I bought a nice Our Love Story 5 in person and didn't notice the same flaw! foreheadslap.gif

Sometimes the staple still sticks out from the "slit", even though the paper is cleanly torn. confused-smiley-013.gif
frown.gif I bought a nice Our Love Story 5 in person and didn't notice the same flaw! foreheadslap.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

I've also seen plenty of "almost" pulled staples where the slit isn't complete, and the paper is still attached by a few mm's. Unfortunately, one rough toss in the postal sorting facility will take care of those last few fibers holding it together! 893frustrated.gif

893whatthe.gif

I've bought a couple books that had the center page detached from the staple. Most of the time this the sellers don't open the book, so they are not aware of it.

I've bought a couple books that had the center page detached from the staple. Most of the time this the sellers don't open the book, so they are not aware of it.
Hell....I bought a FF 36 from Motorcity in 92 or so and didn't know that it was missing a coupon until I had it graded! 893frustrated.gif

What makes this more frustrating is this book is from Economy Subm. from 03/05, but I have yet to receive my Economy Subm. from 02/11 foreheadslap.gif893frustrated.gif

Yep,....I think we are all guilty of doing this at one time or another,...I recently bought an Avengers # 9 that looks pure 9.0/9.2...and on closer inspection the upper staple is pulling off,...but when the cover is closed and relaxed you could never tell.... frown.gif...sorry,... cheer up ,...it's still a sweet looking book though...

I've got a bunch of otherwise NM Strange Adventures with Deadman that I bought as a lot that I didn't notice all suffered from detachment at the top staple. Fortunately it was about 10 years ago, and they only cost me $6@

This has happened to me as well, with both covers and CF's, and we're not talking about close to being detached. If you count the pages enough times, even with HG books pre-1975 this can happen. Of course, if it's suspected, a little 'tug" can always take it over the edge. frown.gif

I've also seen plenty of "almost" pulled staples where the slit isn't complete, and the paper is still attached by a few mm's. Unfortunately, one rough toss in the postal sorting facility will take care of those last few fibers holding it together! 893frustrated.gif

What would one do in this situation if the book in question was being submitted for slabbing? Include a note saying "Just watch that @#$*ing bottom staple while grading, its gonna blow!" confused-smiley-013.gif