• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early ASM Complete Book - got chewed up by dog?

72 posts in this topic

I don't think Terry is wrong here...anonymous posters are always suspect, especially on topics of controversy. Anonymity allows recklessness and at the worst, no accountability-- it's the reason the KKK was hooded...

None of this applies to galactus specifically, for the record.

But I'm with Terry-- other than the most benign comments about how cool a piece is, once we start to debate something, it ups your credibility tremendously to sign your name...and one's reluctance to do so makes one's otherwise possibly valuable views, practically worthless, since we have no idea how self serving those opinions are.

Rob

I don't think Terry is wrong here...anonymous posters are always suspect, especially on topics of controversy. Anonymity allows recklessness and at the worst, no accountability-- it's the reason the KKK was hooded...

But I'm with Terry-- other than the most benign comments about how cool a piece is, once we start to debate something, it ups your credibility tremendously to sign your name...and one's reluctance to do so makes one's otherwise possibly valuable views, practically worthless, since we have no idea how self serving those opinions are.

Rob

Thanks, Rob.

Galactus (whoever the he is) now feels the need to get his buddies to ram his views down my throat because I've put him on 'ignore'.

First of all, it's a crock of sh#t about lots of people choosing to remain anonymous on internet forums. The facebook groups I belong to are mostly comprised of real people, with real IDs. People who are only too proud to talk about who they are and what their background is.

The armed forces forum I belong to will not tolerate anonymous posters of any kind.

I know what the real problem is here . . .

The membership has grown-up reading comic-books, where superheroes or super villains have secret identities..

So people like 'Galactus' aspire to be like comic-book characters - with their real IDs a deliberately-held secret. Maybe Galactus's real ID is Darren Dimworthy the Dullard from Dullsville?

Yeah, perhaps I ought to appreciate why he would want to keep his human guise a secret (please, Darren, go back to being Galactus lol ).

It's all a fantasy game played out on a small scale by (some) people who find it difficult to relate to reality. hm

Up until recently, I don't remember seeing the mighty Galactus as a regular contributor to the OA forums.

Similarly, I don't see his buddy, 'Boboset' posting on this forum (he appears to have been recently drafted-in to come to the mighty one's aid).

So, like I say, I'll continue to ignore and not take too seriously those of you who want to ram your opinions down my throat . . . anonymously.

You lack credibility, making your views (as Rob suggests) practically worthless to me.

Feel free to continue enlisting the aid of your group of (anonymous) buddies to have a pop at me, Galactus/Darren.

It's a laugh a minute.

Awesome art Terry, have often admired your gallery, especially love the Adams cover and Frontline Combat.

Thanks, Doc Joe. :)

You're obviously benefitting from my transparency and willingness to share. ;)

And if you've ever read any of the commentaries I affix to my favorite pieces, you would have detected my passion for this hobby.

That's what it's all about to me. :grin:

And the need to inter-act with identifiable collectors (who don't feel the need to hide behind some phony ID . . . for whatever lame reason).

to all involved posters here.

i am the one that started this thread, and all that gets discussed are your problems that you have with each other.

honestly, why do you feel this needs to get discussed in public?

one guy posts something, the other has to respond.

annoying.

thank you to the few that actually posted about artwork!

to all involved posters here.

i am the one that started this thread, and all that gets discussed are your problems that you have with each other.

honestly, why do you feel this needs to get discussed in public?

one guy posts something, the other has to respond.

annoying.

thank you to the few that actually posted about artwork!

That's fine, Andy, and I can respect your views (as you obviously don't feel the need to be secretive about who you are, etc).

Apologies for hijacking your thread and steering it in another direction.

I've said everything I needed to say.

I said it all several posts ago, but Galactus/Darren is acting like a bear with a sore butt and now feels the need to draft-in his buddies to have a pop at me.

As of now, I'm all done with this thread.

I won't be looking in on it again once I've made this final post.

So Galactus/Darren and his buddies can say whatever the heck they want to.

I won't be listening.

;)

I didn't think Galactus had many buddies here with only 300 posts to his name but you sure did go off like a shotgun with much 'ado over nothing.

For a minute there I thought it was the Comics General Forum.

lol

Thanks, Rob.

Galactus (whoever the he is) now feels the need to get his buddies to ram his views down my throat because I've put him on 'ignore'.

First of all, it's a crock of sh#t about lots of people choosing to remain anonymous on internet forums. The facebook groups I belong to are mostly comprised of real people, with real IDs. People who are only too proud to talk about who they are and what their background is.

The armed forces forum I belong to will not tolerate anonymous posters of any kind.

I know what the real problem is here . . .

The membership has grown-up reading comic-books, where superheroes or super villains have secret identities..

So people like 'Galactus' aspire to be like comic-book characters - with their real IDs a deliberately-held secret. Maybe Galactus's real ID is Darren Dimworthy the Dullard from Dullsville?

Yeah, perhaps I ought to appreciate why he would want to keep his human guise a secret (please, Darren, go back to being Galactus lol ).

It's all a fantasy game played out on a small scale by (some) people who find it difficult to relate to reality. hm

Up until recently, I don't remember seeing the mighty Galactus as a regular contributor to the OA forums.

Similarly, I don't see his buddy, 'Boboset' posting on this forum (he appears to have been recently drafted-in to come to the mighty one's aid).

So, like I say, I'll continue to ignore and not take too seriously those of you who want to ram your opinions down my throat . . . anonymously.

You lack credibility, making your views (as Rob suggests) practically worthless to me.

Feel free to continue enlisting the aid of your group of (anonymous) buddies to have a pop at me, Galactus/Darren.

It's a laugh a minute.

Terry, regardless of if you will read this post, i feel it necessary to post this, as your abusive and name calling attitude, deserve your post to not only be rebuked but answered.

Firstly and foremost, you have really lost the plot here. You are going on a tirade about credibility and using me as a poster child for this, when as i stated before, all i asked was a simple question that neither required me to provide my identity to corroborate any statement, nor is out of place with the CGC forum and the ettiquete established here since i joined this board in 2003.

Rob

Your attitude and reprehensible aggresiveness to not only my replies but others, have done you no favours, and indeed i received many PM's by others who i did not know (until that point) who have said the same thing, so for that i thank you Mr Doyle.

I was the one who took this to PM's to avoid spoiling this thread and yet you opted to not do so, to appease your bloated sense of self. I choose to remain anonymous until such time as i need to.

If i ever post anything that requires me to corroborate the post with my details then i will do so, until then i will remain under my board name of Galactus.

You sem to have convieniently missed this point above and yet again in your posts to follow, bash and go on about things, ignoring other peoples posts.

The names people choose can be more revealing that their actual name but people's Posts are the most revealing of all. The name Terry Doyle means nothing to me but the posts in this thread and his interesting choice of avatar suggest he is an aggressive person who likes to pick fights for no reason.

I too belive that a persons posts should be the measure of the poster and not the name that he chooses as an avatar, but hey i'm biased in this as i would like to think that my posts have not decended to the level of your own.

Lastly and a salient point that keeps on getting missed, regardless of if you add your name to a post, unless you have a CAF gallery or Registry set (which for the record i do not), what do you really gain apart from knowing that someone is called X or Y. Surely, in this age of the Internet and searches that can reveal things at a moments notice, being selective on a forum as to with whom you share your details, is the wiser move. Obviously that is untill, or unless you do need to back up any posts you make with your details and/or reference to others who know you.

I used to remember the entire story with everyone involved but my memory isn't what it used to be. Basically the mail carrier left the complete ASM 6 on the doorstep and a neighborhood dog chewed it up a bit. It was mainly the first few pages and some pages were worse than others. If you see pages in person, either the damage is still there or they have been restored. But it wasn't that bad - no pages were destroyed.

IIRC it was just thrown over the owner's fence by the delivery guy and the owner's dog chewed it up real nice :eek:

I'd feed the mail carrier to my dog. Problem solved. :/

the asm 6 book was co owned by 2 people...1 needed money..the other didnt wantto sell... it was sold around 1886 for 4000 dolalrs to appease the 1 co owner who wanted the money. the dog that ate the book was a beagle.... several pages were virtually destroyed... the art was shipped back to the sender as the buyer wanted his money back...... i once saw partial pieces of a full page in a bag a friend showed me in the early 90s, so some pages were virtually destroyed but most were reassembled with restoration help. i've owned 5-6 pages throughout the past 20 years and every page had some damage but alot of it was below the drawn art or near corners and edges obviously as a dog's bite can only go so far into an art page! lol

Mike

hey mike,

thanks for replying and telling us about what happend.

pretty wild story, especially if you put in todays perspective, and the prices that are achieved with early ASM artwork.

what is the story with the ASM 4 that one other person had mentioned.