• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daily Grade: Incredible Hulk #181

47 posts in this topic

popcorn.gifGrading notes: 3/4" scuff to the top edge, light wear to the ULFC, slight blunting to the opening corners FC; very light spine creasing; light overall tanning, and a couple of scratches parallel to the spine (not a reader's crease). popcorn.gif

Slab it???

Nah, just slap it up on ebay with a tiny scan and call it a NM+. You'll make a zillion dollars. 27_laughing.gif

Sound advice, Mi Consiglieri! insane.gif

I trust you gents realize by now that I don't play the game that way? hi.gif

Please take a moment with the large scans and give me a definitive grade! wink.gif

My best guestimate is a very strong FN+ leaning to a FN/VF, book pretty much is an easy sell, be it RAW or Slabbed.

Depends if you can wait, Diva. I'd give it a 7.5.

Y'know, I know you've all heard it before, but this IS one of those copies, where the scan just doesn't do it complete justice - the red is so right on. And it over-emphasizes every little spine tick.

I also did a little scan researching and have found that the "scratch" I've identified as parallel to the spine, is a common printing defect in this issue.

AND, did I happen to mention that the front cover IS perfectly cut (as opposed to most copies of this issue where the cover is cut widely off-center!)

I can't honestly grade this book under an 8.0 in hand. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

With the top being as it is, and the spine stress marks, and slightly rounded corners? I also noticed what seem's to be some type of rather long flaw down the lower left bottom half of the book, near Wendigos shoulder. Like some sort of printing error or something??? I do know what the "in hand" thing can be like. I may of been a little harsh at 6.0 Possibly a 7.0 but too many stress lines, combined with the top cant equal a 8.0 in my opinion. But it still a nice affordable copy of a important book.

Send it to CGC, there's no chance that book is an 8.0. Let alone above an 8.0

Brian

Brian, I didn't say it was above an 8.0, nor did I imply that, but I resolutely disagree with the first part of your statement. sumo.gif

"What I said was I don't read "Grade this comic" threads because no one, except Hammer , can grade or check for restoration from a scan." 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Fine, here's a scan of a CGC 8.0 Hulk 181. Note that unlike your copy.. this copy has corners that aren't folded inward, sharper bindary corners, no white impact line along the right hand side of the book going downward, no overspray, no scuff mark next to the overspray, no soiling of the back cover, and there isn't a slight spine roll like your book has. About the only thing these two books have in common is the amount of spine stress and the fact that they're both Hulk 181's.

Hulk 181

Brian

Fine, here's a scan of a CGC 8.0 Hulk 181. Note that unlike your copy.. this copy has corners that aren't folded inward, sharper bindary corners, no white impact line along the right hand side of the book going downward, no overspray, no scuff mark next to the overspray, no soiling of the back cover, and there isn't a slight spine roll like your book has. About the only thing these two books have in common is the amount of spine stress and the fact that they're both Hulk 181's.

Hulk 181

Brian

Case closed - (mine's nicer than this one) Look at that spine crease - it's almost cracking! sumo.gif

And spine roll? Who you callin' spine roll? And just how do you detect that from this scan? confused-smiley-013.gif What incredible powers of perception!

Beautiful Murph! You're the champ! flowerred.gif