• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do with this mangled Silver Surfer 1

22 posts in this topic

I've had this for about 15 years, bought it in this condition but every time I look at it I don't know what I should do. I was thinking of selling it but I paid an obscene about of money considering its condition: 55 dollars (I didn't know any better at the time) and to sell it now would mean I would probably take a loss. If graded I would assume it would come back no higher than a 2.0 (everything is still intact except that back cover corner); or even restoring it for my own enjoyment is something I have considered; however I have emailed Classics incorporated about this 5 times and haven't received a single response.

Thoughts?

surfer1back.jpg

surfer1cover.jpg

Keep it and enjoy it! It's a great reader copy.

I have a GS X-Men in similar shape that I love flipping through every so often.

+1

As sad as it is to see a book like SS#1 in this condition restoration isn't realistic. For the best case scenario cost wise you could buy a 7.5 or so copy for the same amount of money as having it restored, and that is if you could get one of us to do it for that. Tape stains take up a lot of time and it looks like it would need a lot of CT and who knows about the spine, can't see it in scan but I bet it isn't solid.

Slabbing makes no sense. You're going to spend $40- $50 to get it graded, and even if it was lucky enough to come back a 2.0 nobody is going to pay $100 for a beater like that whether in a slab or not. Restoring it would cost hundreds more than its worth.

Just sell it, get what you can and put the money towards a nicer copy that's priced according to FMV. It's not book that's in short supply.

Keep it and enjoy it! It's a great reader copy.

I have a GS X-Men in similar shape that I love flipping through every so often.

I was in the same situation with the exact same book. I wanted to upgrade and get rid of my overpaid beat up undercopy. So I just blew it out at about 1/3 what I paid.

Sell it for $20-$30 to someone who wants it, and move on. If it has sentimental value, go ahead and keep it. But definitely don't slab it - it'll cost you even more money than you put in.

I had a similar condition Giant Size X-Men 1 that I bought when i got back into the comic collecting game for 80 bucks and just sold it for 112! My advice is throw it on ebay and be surprised....

I've had this for about 15 years, bought it in this condition but every time I look at it I don't know what I should do. I was thinking of selling it but I paid an obscene about of money considering its condition: 55 dollars (I didn't know any better at the time) and to sell it now would mean I would probably take a loss. If graded I would assume it would come back no higher than a 2.0 (everything is still intact except that back cover corner); or even restoring it for my own enjoyment is something I have considered; however I have emailed Classics incorporated about this 5 times and haven't received a single response.

Thoughts?

The fact that you paid $55 is irrelevant (it's a sunk cost). You have to weigh up whether keeping it or the $$ you get from selling it (both future benefits) would give you a better return. From the way you're talking about it, sell it and move on.

Whats the ouch about? lol I love the look of both of these SS #1's and frankly think they have much more character than a 9.2 or higher.

These were meant to be read after all, and whoever owned this one truly enjoyed it. I know I would if it were mine.

The fact that you paid $55 is irrelevant (it's a sunk cost). You have to weigh up whether keeping it or the $$ you get from selling it (both future benefits) would give you a better return. From the way you're talking about it, sell it and move on.

This. The lack of understanding re. sunk costs irks me everytime a seller on the boards posts something at an ah...*ambitious* price and then states "I can't lower than X because it's what I paid."

No. You can go lower than x because sunk cost is irrelevant.

My thought to them is "Go ahead. Put it on eBay a month after it gets no love on the boards and sell for less than you paid, minus eBay fees. And the money you lost on it? That's the price you paid for enjoying the copy while you owned it."