• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any must see "vintage" LCS in the Kansas City area?

18 posts in this topic

Dropping my middle girl off this weekend at University Kansas,

While the wife is getting critical dorm room things, any great comic stores I should see?

Bri

Elite Comics (119th & Quivira) in Overland Park, KS is good. It's approximately 40-45 minutes from the KU campus.

AstroKitty in Lawrence is just meh, IMO. Not a lot of "vintage" anything as of the last time I was there. Same with the other LCS there -- "Kwality Comics". :sick:

It's a little surprising to me that there aren't better stores in Lawrence... It's a fantastic town with a great arts scene. Congrats to your girl on making a terrific pick of a college! The wife and I both went there and would love to move back to Lawrence one day.

The is on on North Oak in NKC but I did not see much "vintage" there

just some rather creepy looking dudes + new stuff

and I owned a shop ran booth before..they were not "comic con" comic book dude creepy

they were "OMG someone came into this shop that we use as a secret crime lair no one ever comes in here should we wait for them to leave or kill them" creepy

While the wife is getting critical dorm room things, any great comic stores I should see?

Bri

Elite Comics (119th & Quivira) in Overland Park, KS is good. It's approximately 40-45 minutes from the KU campus.

AstroKitty in Lawrence is just meh, IMO. Not a lot of "vintage" anything as of the last time I was there. Same with the other LCS there -- "Kwality Comics". :sick:

It's a little surprising to me that there aren't better stores in Lawrence... It's a fantastic town with a great arts scene. Congrats to your girl on making a terrific pick of a college! The wife and I both went there and would love to move back to Lawrence one day.

(thumbs u

Bri

MIZ ZOU!

Anyways, yes Elite is good. Also recommend B-bop Comics. It's a smaller shop, and its on 95th street, in a little strip mall between Roe and Nall. They have a few vintage books in the glass viewing table. I was there in June and they had a restored AF #15 (4.5 I think), an All Winners raw (don't know issue #) and a few other golden age books. I would ask for Frank (if he's not there)....he has more books that aren't on display at the store.

I would say B-Bop on 95th is the best. But the choices are weak.

Elite Comics might be good for moderns, but it's a mess, poorly run and disorganised.

If you're looking for any kind of back issue selection (Silver/bronze) this town is dead.

Elite Comics might be good for moderns, but it's a mess, poorly run and disorganised.

If you're looking for any kind of back issue selection (Silver/bronze) this town is dead.

Totally spot-on about the silver/bronze back issue scene. However, in regard to Elite, I think calling it "poorly run" is a little harsh, and I find the back issue selection to be quite adequate (if bronze/modern-leaning). You might give Elite another shot as William (the owner) has made some significant improvements to the store over the last few years.

It's funny because I would have said the same of B-Bop... Since their days as the local 1,000,000 Comix franchise, I've struggled to find much value in that place beyond the current week's offerings.

Kansas City is lucky to have a fantastic con in Planet Comicon every year, otherwise it might be tough to justify being a comic fan in those parts.

Bri

MIZ ZOU!

Anyways, yes Elite is good. Also recommend B-bop Comics. It's a smaller shop, and its on 95th street, in a little strip mall between Roe and Nall. They have a few vintage books in the glass viewing table. I was there in June and they had a restored AF #15 (4.5 I think), an All Winners raw (don't know issue #) and a few other golden age books. I would ask for Frank (if he's not there)....he has more books that aren't on display at the store.

Mizzou?!?! Sigh. They're teaching you people how to use the internet now? :baiting:

Is Clint's still in business? I bought from them from mail order back in the 1970s and visited the store once about 14 years ago.

There was also a store on north 64th street next to Hobby Lobby. It might be Frank's or something.

I'd say B-Bop is way over priced on the older books - even from a collectors perspective not a dealers. But I don't know Frank, so I'm not sure how flexible he is on prices

I haven't stopped by Elite for a while - I usually find a couple of decent books there every now and then, however; they price their better books up way there. William will work with you on prices, but you are in Kansas so there is sales tax.

I haven't been to Clints, Astrokitty, or Kwality in years so I don't know what they have (they didn't make a big impression on me I guess)

Pop culture comix doesn't have any vintage stuff, and the owner isn't very helpful.

You may want to contact Christopher Jackson (he runs Planet Comiccon), and he brings pretty good books to the local shows. He always says that he has a lot of better material in his own collection too.

http://www.planetcomicon.com/pc2008/contact.html

What is your daughter studying? I'm in my last year at KU studying petroleum engineering. I was in Templin (dorm) my first year.

Yep Clints is still around. The first time I went to that area, there was a B-bop location right across the street from Clints and I thought that was the worst placement for a business I had ever seen (100-200 ft away from a competitor who was already well established)

Clints may be worth it, but I'd call first. Someone told me that the owner was looking to sell his personal stuff.

Totally spot-on about the silver/bronze back issue scene. However, in regard to Elite, I think calling it "poorly run" is a little harsh, and I find the back issue selection to be quite adequate (if bronze/modern-leaning). You might give Elite another shot as William (the owner) has made some significant improvements to the store over the last few years.

It's funny because I would have said the same of B-Bop... Since their days as the local 1,000,000 Comix franchise, I've struggled to find much value in that place beyond the current week's offerings.

Kansas City is lucky to have a fantastic con in Planet Comicon every year, otherwise it might be tough to justify being a comic fan in those parts.

Admittedly I haven't been to Elite in a couple years. I'll pop in someday soon and check them out.

Back when I bought moderns my pull list was at 1,000,000 Comix. I much prefered the store then to the new B-Bop. I did pop in there a few weeks ago to see if I could scavenge some cheap Marvel Preview Guardian books but it appeared they had already been pillaged!

Mizzou?!?! Sigh. They're teaching you people how to use the internet now? :baiting:

:insane: Yep! And we likes!

So with football season right around the corner, are you Jayhawks going to win a conference game this year?

(Of course, I could ask the same question for us in our new conference).

:insane: Yep! And we likes!

So with football season right around the corner, are you Jayhawks going to win a conference game this year?

(Of course, I could ask the same question for us in our new conference).

lol Hey, we can still hang our hats on 2008's Orange Bowl victory... and we probably will have to for decades to come. Mizzou leaving the Big 12 is one of the great travesties of sports and the loss of the KU/MU rivalry definitely lessens my enthusiasm for college sports in general.

Are you still in the KC area?

Which is the one not far from the Int'l airport? I stopped there once and it had a nice GA inventory.

I forgot about that place! I'd assume you're talking about Frank's Comic Cavern? (I believe that's what it was called, anyway.) Someone mentioned Friendly Frank earlier in the thread, but it didn't trigger in my brain.

I've never been there ... was it worthwhile beyond the GA selection?.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to spend much time there as I had to catch a plane, but it looked to be a very good comic shop all around. Given what most LCSs are like nowadays, ie, no GA books (other than a few crappy faded copies scotch taped to the wall), I was impressed. It brought me back to the good old days.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to spend much time there as I had to catch a plane, but it looked to be a very good comic shop all around. Given what most LCSs are like nowadays, ie, no GA books (other than a few crappy faded copies scotch taped to the wall), I was impressed. It brought me back to the good old days.

Cool! I'll give it a look the next time I'm in K.C. :headbang: