• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men #94 vs. House of Secrets #92: Help me choose...

118 posts in this topic

Yesterday I went to a local comic show and a seller had a HOS 92 it was a beautiful copy. He had it priced at guide $1175. I only saw a couple of small things wrong with it. IMO if it was graded it could come back as a 9.4 or 9.6. I took his # and am thinking about buying it.

What do you guys think? Should I or not?

Did he let you examine the interior?

He did let me examine the interior. It was beautiful.

good luck (thumbs u

if you are confident in your grading skills then that is a good price. If you are not sure. Just make sure all the corners are sharp or close to it. It is hard to find a 9.6 with a 1/8" corner crease even with the rest is perfect. It is hard to find a 9.4 with 1/4" corner crease. Not that they don't exist but the rest better near perfect if that is the only easly seen flaw.

Whenever I examine ultra high grade raw books, I focus on the corners first, if they are sharp, then look at spine, etc...if the corner has creases....I don't bother wasting my time since the book won't hit MY expected grade.

Yesterday I went to a local comic show and a seller had a HOS 92 it was a beautiful copy. He had it priced at guide $1175. I only saw a couple of small things wrong with it. IMO if it was graded it could come back as a 9.4 or 9.6. I took his # and am thinking about buying it.

What do you guys think? Should I or not?

Did he let you examine the interior?

He did let me examine the interior. It was beautiful.

what are you waiting for? Get it!

House of Secrets 92 is an AWESOME book and it's definitely high on my want list. I may be a bit biased, but I'd rather have HOS 92 anyday.

So mint, what did you do? Did you buy the HOS or X-Men?
He mentioned a while back he was going with HOS, and later closed his HOS WTB thread. Not sure if he found one or is still looking for a suitable copy. (shrug)

Currently involved in a deal for a CGC 9.4 with a well known dealer that I trust.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

DC's handling of their properties pretty much sucks across the board, and if they don't turn it around - it will eventually dilute their fanbase by pushing impressionable new comic collectors/consumers to Marvel's market thereby ensuring that the only DC fans that remain are the old stalwarts. Very little new fans will emerge, creating a flood of devalued DC back issues, making HOS the less-desireable back issue to go for. :baiting:

He mentioned a while back he was going with HOS, and later closed his HOS WTB thread. Not sure if he found one or is still looking for a suitable copy. (shrug)

Currently involved in a deal for a CGC 9.4 with a well known dealer that I trust.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Right on, brother.....that's the grade you want for investment on that book. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Right on, brother.....that's the grade you want for investment on that book. GOD BLESS....

You would think he would go for a 9.6,Oh but that would go over his 2K limit.

DC's handling of their properties pretty much sucks across the board, and if they don't turn it around - it will eventually dilute their fanbase by pushing impressionable new comic collectors/consumers to Marvel's market thereby ensuring that the only DC fans that remain are the old stalwarts. Very little new fans will emerge, creating a flood of devalued DC back issues, making HOS the less-desireable back issue to go for. :baiting:

I think Snyder's Swamp Thing is pretty good. (shrug)

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Actually Oakman; if I may comment on MY purchase, the price spreads going from a 9.4 to a 9.6 are not statistically justified in my opinion. Why I do have a 'rule' (as everyone who has read most of my 'threads' are aware); that I currently will not pay more than $2,000 for a single CGC graded comic book (and I also only collect books in 9.2 or higher grade); I do have a list of books that are on the 'waiting list' for when I lift my 'spending cap' at a time I see fit. Buying at the top of the market is never wise and certain books have (in my opinion) reached their peak prices. This is cause for concern as collectors watch what continues to occur in our hobby. Normally when I choose to pay a 'record price' for something (which I recently just have done) it is in an area of the antiques and collectibles market that I presume to be 'undervalued.' While I do NOT like to use that term all too often in the antiques and collectibles marketplace, I can tell you that if the news media is overtly focused on one collecting hobby and price records are continually being broken, that is a sign of a speculative bubble. No one should have to overpay for any item, especially if time is on the side of the said collector or investor. There are always better buying opportunities than others. For instance, I was buying 'bronze age' books in 2008-2010 when everyone told me the sky was falling. In the end did the sky fall? No, but I got a great deal on a lot of investment quality key issues while a lot of so called educated investors were selling at the loss; all to make the 'margin call' of that stock they should not have bought, or to pay their second mortgage when the job they had was eliminated. The point is, if you buy right and smart; you will never have to worry about 'risk.' Buying at the top of a speculative bubble is never wise; even if one is buying solely out of emotion and not sound justified logic. This is why a written plan always works best; whether you are a collector, investor, or like me; a little of both!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Actually Oakman; if I may comment on MY purchase, the price spreads going from a 9.4 to a 9.6 are not statistically justified in my opinion. Why I do have a 'rule' (as everyone who has read most of my 'threads' are aware); that I currently will not pay more than $2,000 for a single CGC graded comic book (and I also only collect books in 9.2 or higher grade); I do have a list of books that are on the 'waiting list' for when I lift my 'spending cap' at a time I see fit. Buying at the top of the market is never wise and certain books have (in my opinion) reached their peak prices. This is cause for concern as collectors watch what continues to occur in our hobby. Normally when I choose to pay a 'record price' for something (which I recently just have done) it is in an area of the antiques and collectibles market that I presume to be 'undervalued.' While I do NOT like to use that term all too often in the antiques and collectibles marketplace, I can tell you that if the news media is overtly focused on one collecting hobby and price records are continually being broken, that is a sign of a speculative bubble. No one should have to overpay for any item, especially if time is on the side of the said collector or investor. There are always better buying opportunities than others. For instance, I was buying 'bronze age' books in 2008-2010 when everyone told me the sky was falling. In the end did the sky fall? No, but I got a great deal on a lot of investment quality key issues while a lot of so called educated investors were selling at the loss; all to make the 'margin call' of that stock they should not have bought, or to pay their second mortgage when the job they had was eliminated. The point is, if you buy right and smart; you will never have to worry about 'risk.' Buying at the top of a speculative bubble is never wise; even if one is buying solely out of emotion and not sound justified logic. This is why a written plan always works best; whether you are a collector, investor, or like me; a little of both!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Completely agree with you. (thumbs u

By the way,my friends call me Dave.icon_smiley_Hugs.gif

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Thanks Dave. I just thought I should explain the logic behind it. This ties into what was said in my other 'poll related thread' about the maximum one would pay for a comic book. I do thank you for reading and responding to both threads.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Thanks Dave. I just thought I should explain the logic behind it. This ties into what was said in my other 'poll related thread' about the maximum one would pay for a comic book. I do thank you for reading and responding to both threads.

I did exactly the same in buying up as many key Bronze books I could during that time period,and did very well for myself.On another note,my wife and I are novice collectors of antique furniture.I wanted to get your opinion on something if I may.I have an opportunity to purchase an original mahogany Duncan Phyfe table and chairs(4) from the early 1800's beautiful inlay I believe in Rosewood.For the princely sum of 5800.00,and change.Would this be in the ballpark price wise?

My wife has always wanted one,and was thinking Christmas is coming. hm

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Kind Regards,

'mint'

I did exactly the same in buying up as many key Bronze books I could during that time period,and did very well for myself.On another note,my wife and I are novice collectors of antique furniture.I wanted to get your opinion on something if I may.I have an opportunity to purchase an original mahogany Duncan Phyfe table and chairs(4) from the early 1800's beautiful inlay I believe in Rosewood.For the princely sum of 5800.00,and change.Would this be in the ballpark price wise?

My wife has always wanted one,and was thinking Christmas is coming. hm

Oakman,

Feel free to PM me anytime. That goes to anyone else as well. I was just reading your post now. Anyway, the best way to ensure I get a message or see a post is through PM. Unfortunately, I do not always have time to check all my posts made on the forums...

Kind Regards,

'mint'