• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men #94 vs. House of Secrets #92: Help me choose...

118 posts in this topic

I am looking at buying one of these (I may buy both, but I am trying to exert some self control). That being said, House of Secrets #92 is much harder to find than X-Men #94, but demand is not as great. X-Men #94 may have already 'run' its course having been a 'key' issue in the X-Men franchise throughout several blockbuster movies.

That being said, which would you choose and why? Note that this would be 9.2-9.4 or above and CGC graded; as I only collect high grade CGC comic books.

Any thoughts?

Respectfully,

'mint'

Your reasoning makes it sound you're looking for an investment above all else. In that case, I would put the money toward buying a real estate investment trust mutual fund and forego all bronze age comics.

If it's a cool comic you seek, you can't go wrong with either but for me the HOS 92 is cooler. While the X-Men ish re-starts the title for an epic long run, it's the second appearance of the new team, whereas the Swampie book has iconic cover art and a true first appearance.

Your reasoning makes it sound you're looking for an 'investment' above all else. In that case, I would put the money toward buying a real estate investment trust mutual fund and 'forego' all bronze age comics.

If it's a 'cool' comic you seek, you can't go wrong with either but for me the HOS 92 is 'cooler'. While the X-Men ish 're-starts' the title for an 'epic' long run, it's the second appearance of the new team, whereas the Swampie book has 'iconic' cover art and a 'true' first appearance.

fixed (thumbs u

I'm not sure which one will be better in the long run. If I were choosing between the two, I'd go HoS 92. My reasons are based on personal likes and not long term investment. I like Swamp Thing and bronze DC horror much more than superheroes at this point in my collecting career. There is the added bonus that HoS 92 is far less common in HG, that appeals to me as well.

I am looking at buying one of these (I may buy both, but I am trying to exert some self control). That being said, House of Secrets #92 is much harder to find than X-Men #94, but demand is not as great. X-Men #94 may have already 'run' its course having been a 'key' issue in the X-Men franchise throughout several blockbuster movies.

That being said, which would you choose and why? Note that this would be 9.2-9.4 or above and CGC graded; as I only collect high grade CGC comic books.

Any thoughts?

Respectfully,

'mint'

I agree with your thoughts.

X-Men #94 has already been through the possible movie bumps. While it's a key book, it's probably going to increase in value at only a savings account interest rate. Plus, they are always for sale. It can wait. 2c

I'd go with HoS #92 first. (thumbs u

Popularity of characters: X-men 94

First appearance: HOS 92

Investment: neither

Cool book to own: both

If you buy either, I would recommend perfectly centered copies and white pages. White paged HOS92 are much more difficult to find.

(thumbs u

HOS 92.

I do not own an X-Men 94. I do own a CGC 9.2 X-Men annual #1 with white pages. I also own a HOS 92 in CGC 7.5 with white pages.

I paid a heck of a lot more for the X-Men Annual #1, than I did for the HOS 92.

I enjoy owning the HOS 92 more I think. It goes back and forth. But today it is the HOS 92.

Buy the one you would most like to own. No matter what we all say and no matter what the Price Line Negotiator says (A nod to Bill Shatner, whom I saw die in a bus crash on TV). :(

P.S. "Self control" is overrated. You rarely regret the book you bought, but you often regret the book you didn't buy.

I love both books and neither will garnish great investment returns. Nevertheless, here are some factors to consider before deciding which book to buy:

HOS 92

- will always be remembered as Wrightson's greatest contribution to the BA.

- the apex of DC BA horror/mystery.

- 1st appearance of the Swamp Thing- DC's greatest BA creation.

- Classic cover with Bernie's wife on it.

X-Men 94

- part of the great Marvel BA "triple crown"- this book (along with GS X-Men 1 and Hulk 181) should be always be taken as part of something on a much greater scale- the beginning of the "mutant age of comics."

- X-Men 94 is more valuable.

X-Men 94 is always the book to get first if you're looking at historical significance.

John