• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buyer scamming me on eBay

153 posts in this topic

I have been in this eBay game since 1998 and even though they encourage me up until today actually, I still do not link my accounts. This precludes me from bidding on a few things online (some auctions have a stipulation that only linked accounts or something like that can bid) but I have assembled quite the nice collection despite them.

Sounds like a great policy. This eBay-PayPal axis is like the government owning the means of production. It's un-American

They gonna link the two accts when their audit teams go over new accounts setup for the month. Ask me how I know. :cry:

I guess you mean they are going to figure out you are the same person, trying to pull a fast one. You are probably right.

I should decouple the eBay linkage to the new PayPal account I just set up like Buzzetta's suggesting. How do I then get paid for future sales?

So after 10 years of no eBay problems here we go.

Buyer bought comic @ $50 buy it now price. After a week, they hadn't paid. I sent a friendly reminder. Still no word after another week. I opened a non-payment resolution case. Had no idea what this was and thought it might be a way to make sure I didn't get charged eBay fees on the uncompleted sale.

The day before the deadline for payment, the buyer paid. I sent the item the next day. Sure enough, today they have opened a buyer protection case, claiming they "never received the item, have tried to contact me to resolve through personal email, etc etc". PayPal froze the transaction. I have already withdrawn the funds but I assume I can't use my account until this is settled. Need to check into that.

I have never received any communication from this person at all other than when they asked when I would ship the item after they finally paid. I said next day and they said thanks. Now this. I don't have a tracking number.

Lessons learned: 1. Always get a tracking number 2. If a buyer doesn't pay, let is go because it could be bad news.

Can anyone tell me how this is likely to end?

Yeah, you owe the buyer the money. Unless you do a mega amount of business on eBay and spend a lot through PayPal, you ARE responsible, as you have no valid proof to show that you shipped the item.

Always get a tracking number; always. This is a MUST. Also, as I always recommend, it may be a good idea to read your eBay and PayPal user agreements.

This is a lessoned learned, and a hard 'pill to swallow', but I am sorry, you will not be able to use your PayPal account until this is resolved and your account balance is in positive terriitoy; or at leat at '0.'

That being said, another lesson to learn is that the money you make off of a sale is NOT yours until the buyer gets the item and is happy!

Just learn from this and move on. By the way, there is an 'ebay advice thread' in the 'Water Cooler.'

Hope it all works out in the end, but like I said, it is doubtful.

Respectfully,

'mint'

They gonna link the two accts when their audit teams go over new accounts setup for the month. Ask me how I know. :cry:

I guess you mean they are going to figure out you are the same person, trying to pull a fast one. You are probably right.

I should decouple the eBay linkage to the new PayPal account I just set up like Buzzetta's suggesting. How do I then get paid for future sales?

You have a family member that would allow you to have a PayPal account in there name? Even then make sure you create the account from a separate IP address or this can also cause a link.

When it comes to PayPal and ways around their BS you have to be careful. They know that they have the power to screw their customers thanks to the customer agreements and until a major class action lawsuit goes to court again them they will continue to screw over sellers.

Really the best bet it to take this as a learning lesson and eat the loss, and in the future always use tracking for under $250 and signature confirmation for over $250.

EDIT: To add PayPal has also been turning over delinquent accounts to collection agencies now so keep that in mind also. If you have your legit SS# on the account is it worth a hit to your credit if they do this?

Does this labelling/tracking system work outside of the US?

In Australia to be precise.

Its only recently that there was a ph no added to ebay.au so we could contact them?

It just so happens that tonight someone messaged me saying he never received his comic. I sent him the tracking number which showed the comic was delivered on the 4th. An hour later he left me positive feedback. What a coincidence that he realized he had the book after I sent the tracking. Coincidence, I say!

It just so happens that tonight someone messaged me saying he never received his comic. I sent him the tracking number which showed the comic was delivered on the 4th. An hour later he left me positive feedback. What a coincidence that he realized he had the book after I sent the tracking. Coincidence, I say!

Yup happens a lot. I think some of these azz clowns actually send out mass messages to every seller they dealt with claiming they never got the item hoping some people just give an auto refund.

Just remember that if ANYBODY demands a partial refund for the item being in poor or not as described condition that you need to move the line of communication over to the eBay messaging system (if it wasn't already being discussed via it) and get the azz hat to make the demand for a partial refund or else within the message system. This way you can then respond with a I am sorry this happen but I will gladly issue a full refund once I receive the item back. 99% of the time they will either drop it right then and there or they will say something that will give you 100% protection from feedback extortion attempts because they have admitted within eBay what they are doing and the eBay CSRs can read these messages rather easily.

Bottom line again is always use proper tracking / signature requirements and also never give partial refunds to azz hats.

I’m sorry for your potential loss, but why oh why isn’t EVERYBODY printing their labels right through ebay or PayPal? It’s simple, you enter the weight and type of service, hit return a few times, and boom, your printer prints a label. Best of all, it has a delivery confirmation number and AUTOMATICALLY links it to the ebay sale and sends an email to the buyer.

I tried printing a Paypal invoice 1st class to Canada and the only options in the drop down are EM (express) and Priority International.

Have to do it by hand... :frustrated:

Yup happens a lot. I think some of these azz clowns actually send out mass messages to every seller they dealt with claiming they never got the item hoping some people just give an auto refund.

Just remember that if ANYBODY demands a partial refund for the item being in poor or not as described condition that you need to move the line of communication over to the eBay messaging system (if it wasn't already being discussed via it) and get the azz hat to make the demand for a partial refund or else within the message system. This way you can then respond with a I am sorry this happen but I will gladly issue a full refund once I receive the item back. 99% of the time they will either drop it right then and there or they will say something that will give you 100% protection from feedback extortion attempts because they have admitted within eBay what they are doing and the eBay CSRs can read these messages rather easily.

Bottom line again is always use proper tracking / signature requirements and also never give partial refunds to azz hats.

This!!!

So, the buyer has just closed the case less than 24 hours after opening it:

Buyer closed this case on Aug 10, 2012 because of other reasons.

This case won't count against you when determining your seller standing.

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Transaction information:

We've removed the hold on this PayPal transaction

About 3 hours ago, I called a number I got from 411. Person said it wasn't her.

I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but it's settled.

And "Fletch" is on TV. Life is good!

Transaction information:

About 3 hours ago, I called 2 numbers for a J Hall in her home town I got from 411. One person said there was no Jxx there. The other hesitated when I asked for the person, then said "I don't know you." I said are you her? She hesitates again and says No. I say Thanks a lot and hang up.

I told you that calling them usually clears things up.

I’m sorry for your potential loss, but why oh why isn’t EVERYBODY printing their labels right through ebay or PayPal? It’s simple, you enter the weight and type of service, hit return a few times, and boom, your printer prints a label. Best of all, it has a delivery confirmation number and AUTOMATICALLY links it to the ebay sale and sends an email to the buyer.

I tried printing a Paypal invoice 1st class to Canada and the only options in the drop down are EM (express) and Priority International.

Have to do it by hand... :frustrated:

:lol: We all do from time to time...,

Transaction information:

About 3 hours ago, I called 2 numbers for a J Hall in her home town I got from 411. One person said there was no Jxx there. The other hesitated when I asked for the person, then said "I don't know you." I said are you her? She hesitates again and says No. I say Thanks a lot and hang up.

:applause: Good to hear that you took some action that worked.

P.S. You should remove any personal information about the buyer though.

I sent her a message through eBay explaining that her actions are causing people to discuss her bidding practices which are leading to people blocking her just to see what her reaction would be.

She is a gem - let me tell you.

I do not utilize the paypal services for printing shipping labels. I do not link my ebay account with my paypal account either. I find that it gives you the seller a little bit more leverage when dealing with paypal or eBay because they do not have automatic access to your money.

Besides, there is nothing more fun than letting paypal know that if they hold money on your credit card that you will file a chargeback against them.

They usually listen to what you have to say.

Like I said... I do not get many problem buyers, but when I do... I no longer lose. Just make sure you know what you bring to the fight when you make your argument.

So you can send and receive money via PayPal for eBay transactions without having them linked? I guess that makes sense. I guess you just have to do it from PayPal. Sending invoices and the like. I'll have to try it for a while and see how less seamless it is.

Maybe you don't have to have a funding account for seller fees either... just pay them manually when they are due.

I have not read over the whole thread yet but wanted to answer your question here.

You can just pay your fee's manually once a month at ebay. It is called a "one time payment" or some such......it is how I do it when I sell on ebay (rarely) but this way I don't have to worry about having the money in my account when they decide to pull it.