• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buyer scamming me on eBay

153 posts in this topic

I sent her a message through eBay explaining that her actions are causing people to discuss her bidding practices which are leading to people blocking her just to see what her reaction would be.

She is a gem - let me tell you.

DO TELL!

Out the buyer, please, so we can block him.

Payment From: jen hall (The sender of this payment is Unverified)

Buyer's ID: dottyglitz

Added to my bidder block list, thanks for sharing the info.

Likewise. Thanks for the info.

I sent her a message through eBay explaining that her actions are causing people to discuss her bidding practices which are leading to people blocking her just to see what her reaction would be.

She is a gem - let me tell you.

DO TELL!

Gonna take that request because this is a band that takes requests...

made one typo... should read "do business with"

ebayfun.jpg

Is there any foolproof way to prevent this? What if package was really lost, isn't that the courier's responsibility?

Only if you bought insurance. Furthermore, for an item sold on eBay, the seller is responsible for its safe delivery. As such, even if a seller can prove an item was shipped, if it gets lost or damaged in transit, it becomes the seller's problem.

Let me say that 99% of the time I am a buyer, so I am the little guy too. But I get what you are saying.

You know, when I'm driving in Manhattan I'm annoyed at the pedestrians, when I'm walking I'm annoyed at the cars.

The buyer always has the option to pay for insurance - if they don't, THEY ARE TAKING THE CHANCE that the shipment may be lost or damaged. I am talking about what I think is "right", not what official eBay/PayPal policy may be, which probably is the opposite. And maybe that is what you mean.

So, it sounds like a seller should always make the buyer pay for tracking and insurance. And if that is smart policy, then why doesn't eBay mandate this to avoid these disputes. Or the post office should just track everything.

If I buy something on eBay for $3, I don't mind if it comes in an envelope. I want the shipping to be as cheap as possible. I guess as a seller, I should mandate they pay tracking and insurance if it's over a certain amount. It's just a matter of, what is that amount.

You don't fully understand how to sell on eBay. The buyer is not responsible for selecting to purchase insurance. It is the sellers responsibility to insure the package. You can add the cost of insurance to your shipping costs. But eBay Requires you to insure all shipments. Whether you do or not is up to the seller.

Is there any foolproof way to prevent this? What if package was really lost, isn't that the courier's responsibility?

Only if you bought insurance. Furthermore, for an item sold on eBay, the seller is responsible for its safe delivery. As such, even if a seller can prove an item was shipped, if it gets lost or damaged in transit, it becomes the seller's problem.

Let me say that 99% of the time I am a buyer, so I am the little guy too. But I get what you are saying.

You know, when I'm driving in Manhattan I'm annoyed at the pedestrians, when I'm walking I'm annoyed at the cars.

The buyer always has the option to pay for insurance - if they don't, THEY ARE TAKING THE CHANCE that the shipment may be lost or damaged. I am talking about what I think is "right", not what official eBay/PayPal policy may be, which probably is the opposite. And maybe that is what you mean.

So, it sounds like a seller should always make the buyer pay for tracking and insurance. And if that is smart policy, then why doesn't eBay mandate this to avoid these disputes. Or the post office should just track everything.

If I buy something on eBay for $3, I don't mind if it comes in an envelope. I want the shipping to be as cheap as possible. I guess as a seller, I should mandate they pay tracking and insurance if it's over a certain amount. It's just a matter of, what is that amount.

You don't fully understand how to sell on eBay. The buyer is not responsible for selecting to purchase insurance. It is the sellers responsibility to insure the package. You can add the cost of insurance to your shipping costs. But eBay Requires you to insure all shipments. Whether you do or not is up to the seller.

Correct! I love when sellers list in their listings that insurance is required and extra. I always avoid these sellers as it tells me they have no idea how to read the site updates page (on eBay) and understand their user agreements and any applicable BINDING updates.

Most sellers still don't realize that you get CHARGED a final value fee on any and all shipping fees in your listing! I sometimes feel sorry for eBay customer service; as they must gets tons of questions that should already be known.

It is the seller's job to understand the rules and regulations appliacable to any venue in which they choose to do business on. This is true whether you decide to consign through Heritage Auction galleries, 'mom and pop auctions' and yes, do business through eBay.

The fact that individuals think they have a right to their money with no recourse; before the buyer receives their merchandise, is completely astounding to me. Again, it is not wise to let your PayPal account reach a negative balance; as this can cause a lot of issues for any seller.

Respectfully,

'mint'

Most sellers still don't realize that you get CHARGED a final value fee on any and all shipping fees in your listing! I sometimes feel sorry for eBay customer service; as they must gets tons of questions that should already be known.

I knew this. Does anyone know their reasoning?

I knew this. Does anyone know their reasoning?

money-lifestyle-greed.jpg

Correct! I love when sellers list in their listings that insurance is required and extra. I always avoid these sellers as it tells me they have no idea how to read the site updates page (on eBay) and understand their user agreements and any applicable BINDING updates.

Who wants to read a site updates page? eBay started as one thing 10 years ago and now they are something completely different. It's simple: I've got something to sell, you bought it. We met on this site. Let's work out the terms of the deal. Do you want to pay for insurance or not?

Let me make something clear: I am a buyer! I have bought hundreds of things on eBay and sold about 5 - no kidding.

I get everyone's point though and I'm learning a little more research can save you some trouble. Responsibility on the seller. Got it.

I like to think another reason why shipping is also included in fees is because sellers abused their power in raising shipping costs to pay for the fees.

Yes - it is probably to avoid this. I think it's perfectly reasonable to have a seller option that stipulates a buyer pays the eBay fees. A buyer's premium if you will. But they will never do that because they have decided attracting, protecting and coddling buyers is what is most critical to their business model. If nobody comes to spend money on their site, their site goes away. I'm surprised a free manicure and pedicure does not come with every sale - provided by the seller of course.

If a buyer "chooses" to pay by PayPal (and it is their choice), is it unreasonable for both parties to split the fees?

eBay in my mind should just be a glorified CraigsList. PayPal should just be a money transfer service. I don't see how a role as arbiter in disputes has anything to do with those core roles. Obviously some clowns in Silicon Valley have realized it serves their purpose (making money) to take on these additional roles, or they would not be doing it.

I say all this not as a seller but as a buyer! Just give me an online marketplace. As for the rest, I can take care of myself. You are trusting the seller and the courier. Given a failure by the courier we should all be grownup enough to work things out. But come on - how often does a package really get lost. 1 in a million? Probably less. Buy only from big and trusted names if need be. Always use FedEx. Or god forbid - call up a seller and talk to them before pressing the bid button.

I don't have a tracking number.

You lose. You cannot prove you sent it, that is why most sellers use paypal shipping ( online w/free tracking) or pay for confirmation at the post office when you drop it off. Either way the paypal rules are set in buyers favor. This is not a secret, paypal makes sure you know to ship it with tracking to protect yourself. I feel for you, he will be getting a full refund one way or another.

Oh it's not gone. It's safely in my checking account. It is for this reason I always withdraw funds to my checking account when I receive money.

This may be PayPal's loss but it's not going to be mine. Stay tuned.

This brings up a question I have - if you take the money out of Paypal and put it into your checking account, can Paypal issue a refund by pulling money out of your "backup source" - which is (presumably) your checking account or credit card and give it back to the buyer?

NO, they will not reach in your bank account and take the money, it's against the law. They can cut you off...paypal is likely lock you out from future deals with them, they will blackball you!

So, the buyer has just closed the case less than 24 hours after opening it:

Buyer closed this case on Aug 10, 2012 because of other reasons.

This case won't count against you when determining your seller standing.

Aug 10, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Transaction information:

We've removed the hold on this PayPal transaction

About 3 hours ago, I called 2 numbers for a J Hall in her home town I got from 411. One person said there was no Jxx there. The other hesitated when I asked for the person, then said "I don't know you." I said are you her? She hesitates again and says No. I say Thanks a lot and hang up.

I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but it's settled.

And "Fletch" is on TV. Life is good!

I told you that calling them usually clears things up.

Wow, never thought about that angle. If paypal finds that the buyers information is phoney or old, bad email, bad phone, etc, they will rule in the sellers favor.

Dude you lucked out...Now moving forward use the paypal shipping link. I rarely have ans issue.. :applause:

Yeah, I'm full of ideas.

I just remembered something too... I find it interesting that LEGO does not have a stake in eBay or Bricklink yet when you need something from Lego that is no longer in production Lego has recommended me to go to Bricklink rather than eBay. Both a phone rep and a brick and mortar store rep has said the same thing

Who wants to read a site updates page? eBay started as one thing 10 years ago and now they are something completely different. It's simple: I've got something to sell, you bought it. We met on this site. Let's work out the terms of the deal. Do you want to pay for insurance or not?

Let me make something clear: I am a buyer! I have bought hundreds of things on eBay and sold about 5 - no kidding.

I get everyone's point though and I'm learning a little more research can save you some trouble. Responsibility on the seller. Got it.

To answer your question, I do! This is a legally binding contract that you agreed to abide by (this includes all future updates). You cannot do business on the site if you do not follow their clearly stated rules and regulations.

As to your question about shipping; sellers were charging $1 for an item and $60 for shipping. This caused eBay to lose money on final value fees, so to prevent this, they implemented two regulations.

The first was requiring final value fees to be charged on shipping costs. The second was to 'cap' certain shipping charges in certain categories (i.e. video games, movies, etc.).

'mint'

Yeah, I'm full of ideas.

I just remembered something too... I find it interesting that LEGO does not have a stake in eBay or Bricklink yet when you need something from Lego that is no longer in production Lego has recommended me to go to Bricklink rather than eBay. Both a phone rep and a brick and mortar store rep has said the same thing

I sell on bricklink and truly love it. Great site. I have my hands in everything, lol!

Yeah, I'm full of ideas.

I sell on bricklink and truly love it. Great site. I have my hands in everything, lol!

I was rather pleased after ordering a ton of parts for something. Anyone order a bunch of black parts from you lately? I found it cheaper to pick up the parts on Bricklink and finally get this for my desk instead of spending the $100+ in buying it outright on Bricklink or eBay. I always wanted a Tumbler.

9cd7dcd5.jpg

Oh it's not gone. It's safely in my checking account. It is for this reason I always withdraw funds to my checking account when I receive money.

This may be PayPal's loss but it's not going to be mine. Stay tuned.

This brings up a question I have - if you take the money out of Paypal and put it into your checking account, can Paypal issue a refund by pulling money out of your "backup source" - which is (presumably) your checking account or credit card and give it back to the buyer?

No.

Do they just ask you politely to give the buyer his money back when they rule in his favor on a dispute, then?

See what I added above. I think they just take what is in your paypal account at the time of the ruling up to the disputed amount. I think I had a dispute one time and got $0.00 added to my paypal account. They can then freeze your paypal account.

Correct. Coincidentally I called them up to ask the same question a month ago after hearing on these very boards about someone who sent a package to Turkey and then the buyer claimed no receipt.

Keep your balance at zero. They can't take your money out of your funding accounts. So right now I have a -$65 balance. If someone pays in for another item it will go up but still be negative, until it is zeroed out. You get the picture.

I have a 5-step plan to get out of this and still stay in business. Auctions closing Sunday. Time is of the essence.

I used my paypal card at a gas station, once, when they started the $75 hold until payment clears and since I did not have all of the $75 in that account they took it out of our bank account.

Thanks for all the advice. I opened a new checking account & new PayPal account with a new email address. I linked that to my eBay account in place of the old PayPal account so at least I will receive money for auction closing Sunday.

Changed eBay seller fee funding account to my credit card. Tried removing email address, credit card and checking account linked to old PayPal account, but it does not let you if you have a negative balance. I do not think they can dig into those accounts, but I could always close the funding accounts.

As for eBay coming to me for the money through seller fee funding account, that is a loophole I hadn't considered. I can always delete that link too after Sunday.

This is total BS for $50. It's the principle though. We'll see what happens.

Yes, it is their responsibility, but they will never take responsibility for it. I got into an argument with the about something like that. They agreed it was their responsibility, but kept saying that I should have bought insurance.