• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Buyer scamming me on eBay

153 posts in this topic

Is there any foolproof way to prevent this? What if package was really lost, isn't that the courier's responsibility?

Only if you bought insurance. Furthermore, for an item sold on eBay, the seller is responsible for its safe delivery. As such, even if a seller can prove an item was shipped, if it gets lost or damaged in transit, it becomes the seller's problem.

Let me say that 99% of the time I am a buyer, so I am the little guy too. But I get what you are saying.

You know, when I'm driving in Manhattan I'm annoyed at the pedestrians, when I'm walking I'm annoyed at the cars.

The buyer always has the option to pay for insurance - if they don't, THEY ARE TAKING THE CHANCE that the shipment may be lost or damaged. I am talking about what I think is "right", not what official eBay/PayPal policy may be, which probably is the opposite. And maybe that is what you mean.

So, it sounds like a seller should always make the buyer pay for tracking and insurance. And if that is smart policy, then why doesn't eBay mandate this to avoid these disputes. Or the post office should just track everything.

If I buy something on eBay for $3, I don't mind if it comes in an envelope. I want the shipping to be as cheap as possible. I guess as a seller, I should mandate they pay tracking and insurance if it's over a certain amount. It's just a matter of, what is that amount.

This is what is supposed to be covered in your "handling" in "shipping and handling". When I used to make buyers pay for insurance to protect their items I would get bad feedback, so I incorporated it into the "shipping/handing". It is also the seller's responsibility to ensure that the pack arrives, not the buyer, so whatever it takes for the seller to protect that package is what is warranted. To back that up is why Paypal sides with the buyer and refunds their money. I would rather pay the extra $1 or 2 to keep my $30+.

The buyer always has the option to pay for insurance - if they don't, THEY ARE TAKING THE CHANCE that the shipment may be lost or damaged. I am talking about what I think is "right", not what official eBay/PayPal policy may be, which probably is the opposite. And maybe that is what you mean.

So, it sounds like a seller should always make the buyer pay for tracking and insurance. And if that is smart policy, then why doesn't eBay mandate this to avoid these disputes. Or the post office should just track everything.

If I buy something on eBay for $3, I don't mind if it comes in an envelope. I want the shipping to be as cheap as possible. I guess as a seller, I should mandate they pay tracking and insurance if it's over a certain amount. It's just a matter of, what is that amount.

eBay is trying more and more to make buying on eBay just like buying from any of the big retailers. Have you ever seen Wal-Mart offer insurance for an extra cost on items purchased online? Of course not. If the item gets lost or damaged in transit, they'll take care of it. Have you ever bought anything and then changed your mind? As long as you don't take too long, they'll take it back, no questions asked. That's why eBay recently instituted a requirement for sellers to offer a 14-day return policy in order to qualify for the 20% discount off final value fees.

eBay is no longer the online garage sale that it started out as.

Doesn't compare and you can thank all of the scammers for them demanding you prove that you shipped and/or protected your items.

I recently ordered a book that hasn't arrived after an extended period of time, the seller changed the method of shipment without contacting me and now I can't track the package. Are you saying I'm a "scammer" for wanting proof that they shipped it?

Not sure if you read the whole thread, because this was an obvious attempt at cheating me. Buyer did not pay until I raised a non-payment case against her, then two weeks later she raised a non-receipt of item case against me in retaliation. This is without contacting me first to say "Hey, just wondered, haven't received the item yet." She dropped the case almost immediately after raising it, after I responded through eBay, and possibly also because I was able to contact her by phone.

Not sure if you read the whole thread, because this was an obvious attempt at cheating me. Buyer did not pay until I raised a non-payment case against her, then two weeks later she raised a non-receipt of item case against me in retaliation. This is without contacting me first to say "Hey, just wondered, haven't received the item yet." She dropped the case almost immediately after raising it, after I responded through eBay, and possibly also because I was able to contact her by phone.

I understand your case, I was more questioning boosters generalization of people who ask for confirmation.

Gone like keys in lava gone
:roflmao:

Gotta get tracking.

You could trying getting the buyers contact information and talking with him on the phone.

Sometimes this shakes a person enough to be truthful. Would likely be surprised you're calling and I'll bet he says "Guess what, it arrived today" sometime after the phone call.

Explain to him the case you filed was nothing personal, you just needed to at least get your EBAY fees back.

Might not work.

Might work.

I understand your case, I was more questioning boosters generalization of people who ask for confirmation.

Uhmmmm... I did not read this until just now.

Looks like a phone call worked....cool (thumbs u

Yes I did block the first account.

On the phone they said Yes, it looks like the two accounts had similar information, and their "Trust & Safety" department will get back to me by tomorrow.

told you she was a gem

WARNING EBAY SELLERS: d o t t y g l i t z AND t e r m i n a t o r s c o o b.

Here are user2's feedback over the years to sellers. Note there are many positive feedbacks but I cherry-picked them for these greatest hits:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Summary for newcomers:

User1 bought comic @ BIN price, did not pay for 2 weeks and only after I raised unpaid item case.

2 weeks later User1 raised "item not received case" without any contact with me whatsoever. I responded & attempted to contact her by phone, after which she suddenly dropped case without explanation.

User2 (same user, because same email address) wins my auction today for a different item.

told you she was a gem

She didn't actually respond to you, did she?

Yes - she said my items are fake and counterfeit so she will never bid on my belongings anyway.

Give me phone number.

I call pretending to be ebay support.

All while I record on film for hilarious after effects.

You should come and screw around with the hipsters here in Brooklyn with me.