• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GS XMEN #1 cgc 9.8 & more!!!

97 posts in this topic

What's the story on this guy? Is he a convicted presser or is this just speculation? ------Sid

Speculation. There is no proof that he presses books and he denies doing so. Jason Ewert is a master at going through long boxes and pulling out gems.

He has a good network of consignors too. Not all the books he sells are his. Strange that anything with a 9.8 label is automatically assumed to be pressed but what can you do? People will believe in what they want to believe. confused-smiley-013.gif

Indeed. Like you do, I find these baseless accusations of undisclosed pressing against one of the top dealers (and best customer service guys) in the industry to be petty, stupid, and irresponsible. Those of you who are accusing Jason (without a shred of proof) of doing this should be ashamed of yourselves. 893naughty-thumb.gif There's nothing cute or funny about it. That is his livelihood that you're disparaging there.

Getting back on topic for a moment, this is the nicest X-Men G.S. #1 I have EVER seen. 893whatthe.gif I seem to remember one 9.8 had around a 1/4 inch miscut, but this one is perfectly cut, and almost perfectly centred. Also, it has none of the yellow waxiness in the white of the background that even higher grade copies exhibit. An awesome book ! thumbsup2.gif

GSX198.jpg

Yes. I tend to bristle when I see off-the-cuff pronouncements with nothing to back them up. Sometimes the replies seem more to bolster the replier than to clear up a situation. And just bltant out of the blue accusations, no matter how they are couched, are somewhat cowardly.

You're right in a way, but it's a tough choice to make.

You can either really bring out the can of whoop-[!@#%^&^] (and get a Clive-like thread going), make a few humurous jabs, or just stay out and let the specs take a bath. It seems that no matter which way you go, it ticks off someone.

Lately, I really don't think the first option (which you'd obviously prefer) is worth it, as I'm not buying these books anyway, and could care less who does. confused-smiley-013.gif

Lately, I really don't think the first option (which you'd obviously prefer) is worth it, as I'm not buying these books anyway, and could care less who does . confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

That is the funniest post ever made on these boards. You've posted approximately 8,000 posts on the upcoming crash and how the horrid speculators are ruining the industry and how everybody who is buying high grade slabbed books are [!@#%^&^] their money away and how its just like the sports card market and the crash is coming and the list goes on and on and on.

You could care less? Pick one. Either talk about all these things or don't.

All I can say about these pressing situations is this. I personally am not familiar with this guy's reputation other than in having sold him a CGC graded ASM #129 a few months ago. I am not interested in buying any of his books at this time. However, if in the future I was considering a purchase of one of his high grade books, I may remember these accusations of him pressing books and therefore I may pass on it.

That's not to say that I believe everything on these boards as I most surely do not. BUT, there is alot of useful information here and I have also learned a great deal. Who is to know what to believe in many cases? But, if there is some kind of proof to back up these kinds of serious accusations then please present your case. Otherwise you may be preventing an honest dealer from getting all the potential bids due to some irresponsible rumors. And to joke about someone else's baseless accusations is just as irresponsible. Grow up guys. This is not kindergarten. -----Sid

You could care less? Pick one. Either talk about all these things or don't.

Hey Donut Head, check out my posts of late, and find exactly where I'm harping on the Comic's Crash?

I've decided to just let it all slide, as it's really not worth my time to try and save the unwashed masses from their own stupidity. confused-smiley-013.gif

But, if there is some kind of proof to back up these kinds of serious accusations then please present your case.

Yeah right, and let's have a Clive x10 Meltdown on the forums?

And please, let's not be painting EBay sellers as God's Angels, and if some of them have a bone to pick, I'll pay for the lie detector test. thumbsup2.gif

But, if there is some kind of proof to back up these kinds of serious accusations then please present your case.

Yeah right, and let's have a Clive x10 Meltdown on the forums?

And please, let's not be painting EBay sellers as God's Angels, and if some of them have a bone to pick, I'll pay for the lie detector test. thumbsup2.gif

This smacks of so many OTHER accusations you've made where "Joe has the evidence, but Joe won't share because there are forces at work that are greater than us all." In this case, it's a grown man supposedly driven to a hissy fit... other times it's the Grand Hollywood Machine crushing down due to the exposure of Vin Diesel as a homosexual...... etc etc etc.

What's the deal? I mean, people MIGHT stop believing any/everything you say if you keep up with stuff like this.

What's the story on this guy? Is he a convicted presser or is this just speculation? ------Sid

Speculation. There is no proof that he presses books and he denies doing so. Jason Ewert is a master at going through long boxes and pulling out gems.

I thought I read quotes from Jason that he didn't like the idea of pressing, but didn't have a problem with it since it's quite common and deemed to be acceptable. Although he did not come out and stated directly that he presses his books, he clearly left the impression it would be silly of him not to do something if some of his competitors were doing it. In fact, I believe I may have read these comments here in these forums a few months ago. Maybe one of you guys can find it.

Actually, I've always been interested in bidding on some of his books because they do appear to be quite nice. Only problem is that he never replies to any of my email questions regrading his books. I guess I shouldn't be asking questions such as this: "based upon your knowledge only, are you aware if this particular book has been pressed or not"? I've done this on 2 of his auctions and stated that I was seriously interested in bidding as long as he provided me with some assurance. Didn't ask him for a guarantee since this would not be reasonable, simply whether he was aware of any pressing or not since CGC tends to miss this in their resto checks. Surprisingly, I never got an answer back in either auction. confused-smiley-013.gif

As a result of his non-replies, I have now simply avoided his auctions with the ASSUMPTION that his silence means that there is PROBABLY a better than even chance that pressing MAY have been done on SOME of his books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif If you think I am picking on Jason here, this is what I used to do with ALL dealers before making a purchase prior to the days of CGC. I was always concerned with restoration and no dealers ever had a concern with me asking about possible restoration. Even a dealer like Mark Wilson who was well known for restoration would state any work that he had done on a book, even though he may not have considered it to be resto at the time. Nobody ever took offence at these questions.

It never hurts to ask since it's your hard earned dollars you are spending.

You can either really bring out the can of whoop-[!@#%^&^] (and get a Clive-like thread going), make a few humurous jabs, or just stay out and let the specs take a bath. It seems that no matter which way you go, it ticks off someone.

Lately, I really don't think the first option (which you'd obviously prefer) is worth it, as I'm not buying these books anyway, and could care less who does. confused-smiley-013.gif

The occasional can of Whoop is ok but that isn't the issue. This is a busy place, and a good number of collectors are reading this stuff. I know how I would feel if it were implied with just a word that I worked on my books before I sold them. Would not feel good. I doubt anyone here would be even the slightest bit appreciative of it being done to them.

Now if someone has experiences they can share which support the accusation, as in the comic-keys threads, more power to them!

The occasional can of Whoop is ok but that isn't the issue. This is a busy place, and a good number of collectors are reading this stuff. I know how I would feel if it were implied with just a word that I worked on my books before I sold them. Would not feel good. I doubt anyone here would be even the slightest bit appreciative of it being done to them.

Now if someone has experiences they can share which support the accusation, as in the comic-keys threads, more power to them!

As mentioned earlier in this thread...the seller already admitted that they would have no problem PRESSING books.

If that's the stance they're taking on this pressing issue....then they should expect people to question some of the books they're selling. sumo.gif

Thanks Lou, although your statement does not answer any questions, this kind of personal experience is certainly more useful than baseless accusations or rumors. -----Sid

Thanks Lou, although your statement does not answer any questions, this kind of personal experience is certainly more useful than baseless accusations or rumors. -----Sid

Thanks Sid;

Since I wrote my post last night and didn't send it until this morning, I noticed that some posters are now saying that some of his books may be on consignment. If this is the case, it would not be reasonable for Jason to know whether there was pressing or not, and we would just have to leave it up to CGC. If that was the case, then I feel Jason should have just stated that in a reply back to me. Again, it never hurts to ask these dealers some questions.

Another personal experience. I once bought a high grade early Fox book from a very prominent East Coast dealer. When I received my package, there was 2 books in there. I called the delaer to inquire about the second book since it was also a very attractive book. He replied that he knew I would be interested in the book due to the high grade, time period, title, etc. I thank him for sending me the book for my personal viewing, and then proceeded to ask him if there had been any work of any sort done on the book. He admitted after a few minutes that there was just a tiny tiny tear on the back cover which had been sealed up with glue. Since it was not a critical book which I had to have, I told him that I would simply send it back to him. He told me the tear seal was so tiny, that he would simply cut it open and sell it as an unrestored book if I sent it back to him. He said that I should keep the book and just cut the tear seal myself if it bothered me. Anyways, I sent the book back, and 6 months later saw it being advertised by the dealer as a unrestored book with a tiny tear on the back cover. I guess he was good to his word and did cut the tear open. Funny thing is, GA books like this would probably still get a blue label with just a comment mentioning the glue.

Once again, if you are ever in doubt about a book, it nevers hurts to pick up the phone or send an email since most dealers will not knowingly lie to you. thumbsup2.gif

I am not targetting anyone specific here, but why do some people assume that every book they see could potentially be pressed ? confused-smiley-013.gif

The main benefit of pressing is to diminish the impact of non-colour breaking bends/folds so they are not as noticeable to a grader. If books being questioned do not have flattened bends/folds why would anyone assume the book has been pressed ? There is no benefit to pressing a book that is already structurally sound, as it will not increase the grade. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

On a personal level, I have purchased several books from Jason and can catergorically confirm that none of them were pressed. I think you should all be looking to the 8.0 - 9.2 arena for the real candidates as these are the books that would most have benefited from this process.

As mentioned earlier in this thread...the seller already admitted that they would have no problem PRESSING books.

If that's the stance they're taking on this pressing issue....then they should expect people to question some of the books they're selling. sumo.gif

sumo.gif Yeah - and how late did THAT revelation happen? sumo.gif

If I had come on here and said that " pressing is okay " and that " I would be stupid not to press certain books "....I would expect potential buyers to question some of my books.

Either you press books...or you don't.

There is no middle ground. sumo.gif

I am not targetting anyone specific here, but why do some people assume that every book they see could potentially be pressed ? confused-smiley-013.gif

People are paranoid. See the number of "is this book trimmed" threads here. Something becomes a hot topic and all of a sudden people see it everywhere.

The main benefit of pressing is to diminish the impact of non-colour breaking bends/folds so they are not as noticeable to a grader. If books being questioned do not have flattened bends/folds why would anyone assume the book has been pressed ? There is no benefit to pressing a book that is already structurally sound, as it will not increase the grade. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Most books will not benefit from pressing. Since it's become the big parnoia thing around here I've begun to take note of good pressing candidates that pass through my hands. It's a VERY small percentage of the books I handle and none of them would magically turn into 9.8s.

Of course, we all know there such a shortage of high grade bronze age Marvels that they couldn't exist in high grade without being pressed 27_laughing.gif

If I had come on here and said that " pressing is okay " and that " I would be stupid not to press certain books "....I would expect potential buyers to question some of my books.

Either you press books...or you don't.

There is no middle ground. sumo.gif

I got no issue with that. It is all of the imPRESSive replies that just kept coming as if everything about this person is such common knowledge that we need not explain WHY we would think such books are pressed. It is not a matter of being right or wrong - it is a matter of accusing someone first and then saying - oh, by the way, I found this out about this person so all the previous accusers were right.

It is not a matter of being right or wrong - it is a matter of accusing someone first and then saying - oh, by the way, I found this out about this person so all the previous accusers were right.

I agree. But in the case of the seller in question....I don't think suspicion is necessarily unwarranted.

The unfounded accusations do get pretty out-of-hand around here sometimes....but I think the sellers previous statements about pressing are the cause in this case.

BTW - hi.gif