• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GS XMEN #1 cgc 9.8 & more!!!

97 posts in this topic

Of course, we all know there such a shortage of high grade bronze age Marvels that they couldn't exist in high grade without being pressed 27_laughing.gif

The Paranoia Formula:

GA CGC 8.0 & up = trimmed, color touch, tear seals, cleaned & pressed!

SA CGC 9.0 & up = trimmed, color touch, cleaned & pressed!

BA CGC 9.8 & up = pressed!

MA CGC 9.9 & up = pressed & $20 bills slipped into comic for Borock & the crew. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Either you press books...or you don't.

There is no middle ground. sumo.gif

That's right. You can't be "a little bit" pregnant. sumo.gif

We can argue about the ethics of bending the rules, but the fact is that the dealers are not your friends (even though it seems like some people desperately want them to be) - they work hard and are out to make a buck for themselves. Nothing wrong with that; it's just business. However, what *is* wrong is naively putting your faith into the notion that these people are pillars of the comic collecting community who are only one step below sainthood. They're businessmen and they're out to make a profit from your hard-earned dollars. Period.

No one is calling dealers saints. But more often than not they are just honest guys (like me) trying to make a profit or extra money for providing a useful service. Some are unethical, MOST are not. It is dangerous and unfair to assume that any dealer is trying to rip someone off without hard evidence, or at least a very good probablity that unethical behaviour is going on.

Yeah, pressing is the new fad. So people are crying wolf all over the place. It's fun to jump on the bandwagon and stir up trouble isn't it guys? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif -----Sid

"Yeah, pressing is the new fad. So people are crying wolf all over the place. It's fun to jump on the bandwagon and stir up trouble isn't it guys?"

Pressing of books is NOT new. Anyone who tells you any different does not know the hobby as well as they profess to. Books have been being pressed for at least the last 20 years without disclosure because most people did not consider it restoration, a problem, or even care. I still don't care and never did care if a book is pressed correctly, hell, most of the time I can't/couldn't even tell. Look at Susans article in the Overstreet grading guide, she states that pressing (done correctly) is not restoration, most of us in the hobby have always beleived this. Now, I don't want this to turn into a "is pressing or isn't pressing restoration" because that has been done to death here and CGC will not guess about your books. As far as "Lou Fine" saying CGC misses pressing, this is UNTRUE, it is a company decision NOT TO JUST GUESS ABOUT YOUR BOOKS, if we were to list pressing on the label, some books that were kept in stacks will be called pressed from original owner collections while some pressed books will be in holders without a pressing notation because it is impossible to tell in that particular case. Imagine getting your book back saying "Pressed" when you know for a fact it has not been.

The reason some people will not talk to you about or tell you if they press books is because a VERY SMALL amount of people on chat boards and at cons will be very vocal and UNFAIRLY put a stigma on their reputation and /or auctions like you are doing here. If you don't like pressed books, go out and find virgin collections because most expensive books ($300 and above) have been or will be pressed at some point once they leave private collections and end up in sellers hands.

sign-rantpost.gif

Have a great 4th everbody! grin.gif

Why is there a question about pressing on this GS X-men 1. A Giant Size book of that quality would definitely suffer more harm then improve the book since the spine would be damaged by pressing. This is evident by giant size books that sit at the bottom of boxes and the spines get crushed.

Why is there a question about pressing on this GS X-men 1. A Giant Size book of that quality would definitely suffer more harm then improve the book since the spine would be damaged by pressing. This is evident by giant size books that sit at the bottom of boxes and the spines get crushed.

Remember, pressing doesn;t need to be the whole cover. Just a curled under corner can also be pressed. It is not always a major process.

PR,

I dont know much abot the process, but if you only pressed part of the book without the pressing board(or whatever) covering the entire cover, wouldnt the edge of that pressing board etc leave a dent or impression?

What's the story on this guy? Is he a convicted presser or is this just speculation? ------Sid

Was wondering the same thing. It is not like these are really old books!

These accusations are depressing. The paranoia & baseless insinuations are par for the course around here. sleeping.gif

Was a person innocent in this country first?

No, just not proven guilty!

flamed.gif

PR,

I dont know much abot the process, but if you only pressed part of the book without the pressing board(or whatever) covering the entire cover, wouldnt the edge of that pressing board etc leave a dent or impression?

not if you pressed it with something rounded... like a steamroller insane.gif

"Yeah, pressing is the new fad. So people are crying wolf all over the place. It's fun to jump on the bandwagon and stir up trouble isn't it guys?"

Pressing of books is NOT new. Anyone who tells you any different does not know the hobby as well as they profess to. Books have been being pressed for at least the last 20 years without disclosure because most people did not consider it restoration, a problem, or even care. I still don't care and never did care if a book is pressed correctly, hell, most of the time I can't/couldn't even tell. Look at Susans article in the Overstreet grading guide, she states that pressing (done correctly) is not restoration, most of us in the hobby have always beleived this. Now, I don't want this to turn into a "is pressing or isn't pressing restoration" because that has been done to death here and CGC will not guess about your books. As far as "Lou Fine" saying CGC misses pressing, this is UNTRUE, it is a company decision NOT TO JUST GUESS ABOUT YOUR BOOKS, if we were to list pressing on the label, some books that were kept in stacks will be called pressed from original owner collections while some pressed books will be in holders without a pressing notation because it is impossible to tell in that particular case. Imagine getting your book back saying "Pressed" when you know for a fact it has not been.

The reason some people will not talk to you about or tell you if they press books is because a VERY SMALL amount of people on chat boards and at cons will be very vocal and UNFAIRLY put a stigma on their reputation and /or auctions like you are doing here. If you don't like pressed books, go out and find virgin collections because most expensive books ($300 and above) have been or will be pressed at some point once they leave private collections and end up in sellers hands.

sign-rantpost.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I hope this shuts up the whining and the relentless pressing accusations every time a high grade book gets posted but I doubt it. 893frustrated.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I hope this shuts up the whining and the relentless pressing accusations every time a high grade book gets posted but I doubt it. 893frustrated.gif

You've DEFINITELY been around here long enough to realize that nothing will EVER stop the habitually incessant and rampant flow of whining around here... 893frustrated.gif

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Let me read Steve's comment one more time:

All this is really saying is "don't complain, because expensive books are pressed anyway", and you think this is a GOOD thing?

of course, I'm one of the "VERY SMALL amount of people on chat boards and at cons will be very vocal and UNFAIRLY" think that PREMEDITATED PRESSING is a FORM OF RESTORATION. And let's not even get into DRY CLEANING techniques.

Oh well. confused-smiley-013.gif

I have a lot of respect for Steve's knowledge and insights, and a lot of time for him personally. But I do not agree with this particular opinion. What benefit would there for any dealer to press H.G. books above $300 that do not have non-colour breaking creases/bends ?

The sign-rantpost.gif icon makes me feel Steve may be frustrated at how this topic is so pervasive on the boards currently, and was trying to put the matter to bed. confused-smiley-013.gif

Personally, I feel that we should continue to highlight books that genuinely may be pressed, but just stop carpet bombing every high grade auction out there with our suspicions and accusations.

sign-rantpost.gif

Press these Steve!

interview.jpg

J/K. Sorry, just had to use the image one more time. smile.gif

Good points Mr. B.

Everyone enjoy your weekends and be safe!