• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GS XMEN #1 cgc 9.8 & more!!!

97 posts in this topic

I have a lot of respect for Steve's knowledge and insights, and a lot of time for him personally. But I do not agree with this particular opinion. What benefit would there for any dealer to press H.G. books above $300 that do not have non-colour breaking creases/bends ?

Which particular part of his opinion don't you agree with? I didn't hear him say it was a good thing that sellers press books, he just said it was a reality you have to deal with.

I have a lot of respect for Steve's knowledge and insights, and a lot of time for him personally. But I do not agree with this particular opinion. What benefit would there for any dealer to press H.G. books above $300 that do not have non-colour breaking creases/bends ?

Which particular part of his opinion don't you agree with? I didn't hear him say it was a good thing that sellers press books, he just said it was a reality you have to deal with.

I assume it's the same part I don't - "...most expensive books ($300 and above) have been or will be pressed at some point once they leave private collections..." Most $300+ books have been pressed? I find that hard to believe... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I assume it's the same part I don't - "...most expensive books ($300 and above) have been or will be pressed at some point once they leave private collections..." Most $300+ books have been pressed? I find that hard to believe... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Correct Dr B. That was the exact part I was referring to, and which I do not agree with Steve on. If he had said, "....most expensive books ($300 and above) [with non-colour breaking creases/bends] have been or will be pressed at some point once they leave private collections..." then I would be nodding in agreement. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifhi.gif

Correct Dr B. That was the exact part I was referring to, and which I do not agree with Steve on. If he had said, "....most expensive books ($300 and above) [with non-colour breaking creases/bends] have been or will be pressed at some point once they leave private collections..." then I would be nodding in agreement. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifhi.gif

I should have said: "....most expensive books ($300 and above) WORTH PRESSING BECAUSE OF CERTAIN DEFECTS have been or will be pressed at some point once they leave private collections..." Sorry sorry.gif

The real issue with what Steve said is not if pressing did or did not go on pre-CGC, but that with the advent of CGC, just about any book is worth $300 in high enough CGC grade.

Prior to CGC, I would never imagine someone taking even an ASM 129 in for professional dry cleaning and pressing, as the return on investment would not be there to turn a killer NM into a even more crisp NM+. Sure, you might get 2X Guide compared to 1.5X before, but that's squat when Guide is $100.

Now with the insane multiples that a CGC 9.6-9.8 copy brings in, I can see people pressing virtually any high-grade comics, such as NM copies of ASM 300 hoping to "freshen it up" into a CGC 9.8-9.9 gold mine. This is where the problem comes in, as pre-CGC, only an extremely small number comics, that would garner a noticeably higher price, would get pressed.

Now, in the era of 20X Guide or more for a 9.8, virtually every high-grade key book could be pressable, and the incredible monetary benefits through a "CGC upgrade" are unlike any other time in comic book collecting.

Indeed. Like you do, I find these baseless accusations of undisclosed pressing against one of the top dealers (and best customer service guys) in the industry to be petty, stupid, and irresponsible. Those of you who are accusing Jason (without a shred of proof) of doing this should be ashamed of yourselves. There's nothing cute or funny about it. That is his livelihood that you're disparaging there.

What I never understood was the wilingness of people to jump all over legitimate dealers with these kinds of accusations, and no legitimate proof. But back in the days when Hammer was first being exposed, many people DEMANDED proof, and even after sufficient proof was supplied from first hand experiences(from myself, and others), there were still people defending him! 893frustrated.gif

Sad, but true.

Sorry Vince, but I've got to say that your crusade here is unfounded. I'm sure he has had books pressed, and I'm sure that he will continue to have books pressed. But I'm in the camp that does not consider this restoration, and I also am in the camp that thinks that this kind of book in this grade is not a likely candidate for pressing.

I think there are a lot of uncirculated late 60's books out there that could garner 9.8's, especially on a book like SS #4. I think that you agree with this as well, as you've stated it many times. So when the 9.8's pop up, why be so quick to assume that they're pressed?

"The real issue with what Steve said is not if pressing did or did not go on pre-CGC, but that with the advent of CGC, just about any book is worth $300 in high enough CGC grade.

Prior to CGC, I would never imagine someone taking even an ASM 129 in for professional dry cleaning and pressing, as the return on investment would not be there to turn a killer NM into a even more crisp NM+. Sure, you might get 2X Guide compared to 1.5X before, but that's squat when Guide is $100."

Sory JC, they were pressing some of those books as well pre-CGC. I know guys who were pressing $100 books to get double their money......

Sory JC, they were pressing some of those books as well pre-CGC. I know guys who were pressing $100 books to get double their money......

So instead of beating around the bush, let's come out with it:

Do you really think that pressing has not increased with the advent of CGC?

I also am in the camp that thinks that this kind of book in this grade is not a likely candidate for pressing.

Sorry, but even Steve agrees with me on that:

"Sory JC, they were pressing some of those books as well pre-CGC. I know guys who were pressing $100 books to get double their money...... "

So instead of beating around the bush, let's come out with it:

Do you really think that pressing has not increased with the advent of CGC?

No, the increase is the awareness of newer and/or uninformed collector's.

You know I never beat around the bush when asked a straight forward question. grin.gif That is why I go to the chat dinners, some questions take to long to answer on the boards( I type with 2 fingers). The only things I don't answer are for legal reasons or to give any future competition, if we ever get any, our grading standards. tongue.gif

I also am in the camp that thinks that this kind of book in this grade is not a likely candidate for pressing.

Sorry, but even Steve agrees with me on that:

"Sory JC, they were pressing some of those books as well pre-CGC. I know guys who were pressing $100 books to get double their money...... "

I'm not talking about a financial candidate. Obviously, a 9.6 to a 9.8 would be very lucrative. But I'm not entirely convinced that someone would press a raw 9.6 SS #4, and expect a 9.8. Again, I'm no expert, but I don't think that the minute flaw that would seperate a 9.6 from a 9.8 could be pressed out, nor would I think that someone who has a raw 9.6 would realistically expect that result.

I think there are a lot of uncirculated late 60's books out there that could garner 9.8's, especially on a book like SS #4. I think that you agree with this as well, as you've stated it many times. So when the 9.8's pop up, why be so quick to assume that they're pressed?

Because pressing is the worse of two negatives. If there's merely an oversupply that's one thing, but if ALL THE BOOKS ARE BEING PRESSED BY EVIL DEALERS THEN THE HOBBY REALLY IS EVIL!

In other words, pressing is jucier gossip. Plus people get to crack themselves up making imPRESSive jokes.

Wrong Rob, we've got two problems compounding each other:

Vast oversupply combined with rampant pressing.

man, am I glad I never invested a cent into this flaky business. acclaim.gif

Wrong Rob, we've got two problems compounding each other:

Vast oversupply combined with rampant pressing.

man, am I glad I never invested a cent into this flaky business. acclaim.gif

I quit. This hobby blows. 893frustrated.gif

"I don't think a 9.6 could be turned into a 9.8. "

Very hard to do................

Steve;

I am also in agreement with you here since pressing would usually not resolve differences in defects between a 9.6 and a 9.8. I believe that pressing can move a book from 8.0 up to 8.5 or even 9.0 (or somewhere in that type of a range).

Can you please explain to me how (dry) cleaning and pressing can move a book up from 6.5 to 9.0 or 7.5 up to 9.4. Although these are extreme examples, the differences here can also mean big money when it comes to GA books and is of some concern to me since I am primarily a GA collector.

Thanks in advance for any input which you may be able to provide here. thumbsup2.gif

I think the problem for G.A. CGC grading lies in that the gap between 7.5 GA and 9.4 GA isn't as huge as it is for other eras. So while pressing out a small corner crease on a S.A. book might move it from a 7.0 to maybe a 7.5. It very well could be that pressing that corner out on a G.A. book could raise it from a 6.5 to a 7.5-8.0. I don't see why the sliding scale exists for GA books, and IMO it just opens up too many problems.

Brian